Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always stay alert, but lets face it, something is alway running through your mind. I seem to end up playing with the trigger on my release and going through senarios of what I would do if a buck came from this way and that.

Then I solve all the worlds problems!!:tongue: At least in my mind.

And everyonce in awhile I think about what I would do if I won the Lotto. Just in case!:wink:

·
Registered
224 Posts
My girlfriend bought me a book on birdwatching. Since I am sitting there with a pair of binoculars anyhow, I thought I would take it with me. It lists 665 species of birds with photos/song/size habits ect. I make a small dot next to each one I see. Just over 600 left to go. It really has seemed to help me attention to detail, and still keeps me looking for animals instead of daydreaming or sleeping

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Passing the time

Hey another mo bowhunter great! Well i always bring my binos.....and lately my wife has been sitting in a ground blind with me. Ive been married for 20 years and this is a first. Actually i'm kind of pumped about it. I don't feel bad for staying out to late because she's really enjoying the connection with nature....I think she finally gets what i've felt all along!

·
7,984 Posts
I pretty much just wait....lol
I actually watch other animals, contemplate deer travel, etc....but around here, you can't see too far, so it does get a little boring sometimes. I have even read a book in stand, especially in a blind, but again, with not much of a shot windiw in thick woods, you better be ready when he does step out!

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I buy small books and cover them in camo duct tape. Reading helps me stay still. I also pick up small hand held games at garage sells and swap meets for a buck or two and that keeps me occupied for a while too. I can sit for a couple of hours without em but on long all day sits a few games or a book really help me from going crazy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
After a few hours of watching the same squirrels I play a Putt-Putt golf on my cell phone. I like it because I can put it down at a moments notice. Sometimes I read...

Nick

·
Registered
206 Posts
Stephan C said:
My girlfriend bought me a book on birdwatching. Since I am sitting there with a pair of binoculars anyhow, I thought I would take it with me. It lists 665 species of birds with photos/song/size habits ect. I make a small dot next to each one I see. Just over 600 left to go. It really has seemed to help me attention to detail, and still keeps me looking for animals instead of daydreaming or sleeping
I've been meaning to do the same thing. Great idea about the dots too, never thought about that.

I usually just stare into the woods hoping some thing will start moving.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Think

I think about past girlfriends and the special times I had with them. :( :darkbeer: :wink:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CamSpeed said:
I think about past girlfriends and the special times I had with them. :( :darkbeer: :wink:
Nice.......:eek:

·
Bowhunter
5,202 Posts
CamSpeed said:
I do, too - but only after I've solved global warming and world peace.:wink:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Most days there is something to watch. I also like to play out scenarios and guess yardage.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I take time out to go grocery shopping w/ my wife. but i really go to ck.out the sporting goods dept. Funny thing is ever time we walk by the area she gives me this weird look and say not that isle. I just say ok dear.

·
74,535 Posts
Practice range finding

But Im pretty much watching all the time Im in the stand. People think Im on drugs my eyes get so blodd shot from watching.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
play TEXAS HOLD'EM

on my hand held game.

I play 5 card poker too or Just take a nap!!! :wink:

·
Registered
640 Posts
i take a tom clancy novel to the stand. i will read a paragraph or two then look, whenever there is some downtime.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
time on the stand

ozdog said:
Most days there is something to watch. I also like to play out scenarios and guess yardage.:darkbeer:
I spend a lot of time trying to figure how things will play out. Imagining a deer coming out is a good way to keep sharp and be less shocked when it happens. It keeps me alert.. drives off the heavy eyelids.
I'm also a wildlife artist and I spend just as much time thinking about new compositions while I have the quiet time alone

·
Banned
42 Posts
Wake-up

crazy wolf said:
I take time out to go grocery shopping w/ my wife. but i really go to ck.out the sporting goods dept. Funny thing is ever time we walk by the area she gives me this weird look and say not that isle. I just say ok dear.
While you are in the woods........?

I play pocket pool.:tongue:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I hunt in the thickest areas I can find most of the time, with that said I can rarely see more than 50 yds. I can't afford to not be paying attention, but I have to admit I do read some.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts