Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what everybody does with the fish they shoot. I have not heard of to many recipes to make gar or carp taste very good.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Here we go again...

Gar are very good, and need no fancy recipies to be enjoyed. Done right (bones taken care of), the silver carp are said to be very good. Buffalo are definitely tasty as well.

There is no shame in ridding our waters of non-native carps, even if you do nothing but feed the *****, or fertilize a field with them. In fact, it is a good thing...ask any fisheries biologist.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here we go again...
LOL yeah There should be a sticky at the top of every bowfishing forum with the standard answers to this question.

As Robin said ask a fisheries biologist such as Duane Chapman known on many of these boards as "carptracker". He will tell you a carp in the garbage can is better than a carp in the waterway.

Bottom line, whatever you do with them, utilize them or dispose of them responsibly and practice "catch and keep" on invasive species.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Thanks robin for mentioning eating Gar i have been craving them for a few days not and i have all day till i can go home and cook them up.
matt

·
Registered
26 Posts
We tried carp cakes one time and tho they were not all that bad it was not something that I crave.

·
Registered
18 Posts
what we do with carp we shoot

we club em in the head, my favorite thing, (common carp) split thier bellies open, making sure to pop the air sack, then we sink em in deep water. our fish and game biologist went out with us and showed us how to do it . right under neath the pectoral fin it's almost like an arm pitt. it's so soft there you can almost poke your finger in it. stick the knife and shove it straight accross , you will almost always hear the air sack pop. it returns nutrients to the lake just like mulch does to the soil. IMO that's all a carp is good for. we have tried to give them to bird rehab places, food missions etc, no body here in az wants anything to do with them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
dudddddeeee do not eat that stuff its nasty man i think it nasty but yall go ahead and eat it....:pukey:

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
They are great for farmer's pigs, and growing crops. I have seen some even been dumpster bait.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts