Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what other people eat on extended self guided hunting trips. I usually go out on two 4 to 5 day trips during elk season and carry all my supplies in my pack. (Kelty La Sal) In years past I've purchased the entrees from MRE's and they have served well for dinners, easy to prepare, filling, easy to pack, and don't give me the runs.:mg: This year because of Hurricane Katrina and the middle east conflict I've been unable to find the MRE entrees. I can still get the complete MRE with the heater, cookies, etc... but I don't want or need all that. I know that there are plenty of dehydrated meals out there but don't want to get something that is nasty and have to go hungry in the hills. So tell me which one's are worth the money and which ones just look good on the shelf. Also any other suggestions would be appreciated, besides the fresh elk tenderloins. That goes without saying. Thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mountain Home

Actually I like the mountain home brand meals. Chicken Teriyaki and Beef stew are two good ones. The portions are a little off (or optimitstic, I should say). They are stated as for two people. IMO, one pouch is not quite enough for two people, but a bit much for one. I ususally end up wasting some of one if I'm by myself.

For breakfast though, stick with oatmeal. The dehaydrated eggs are tough for me to choke down.

There's a brand I see here at Academy and a couple of other places. I cannot remember the exact name, but it comes in an orange pack. I haven't cared for many of their flavors.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I usually just eat dry dog food. It's light weight, economical, available at nearly any store, comes in a variety of flavors and most are very tasty. If you get the Gravy Train then all it takes is a little warm water mixed in and you've got yourself one heck of a meal! :darkbeer:

3L

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
YOu want as much calories per ounce as possible. Pastas, stuffing, mashed potatos, are all good choices. I take tortillas becuase they take a couple weeks to go bad. IF you make some wraps out of tortilla shells, pepperoni, salami and some cheese, you can freeze them before your trip and they thaw out on the way,making nice lunches and will still be good for well over a week. The best things for breakfast we found to be the quaker outmeal squares. They are chocked full of calories and dont take up much space.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks guys. Those are great ideas, except for the dog food. But it was funny. Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
636 Posts
On a 4 or 5 day hunt I usually pack a lot of canned soups. Easy to heat and serve right out of the can. I pack a couple of deli sanwhiches as well as some meats and breads to make my own sandwhichs. Beef Jerky is a must...don't know why, but it's sacreligous to not take jerky on a hunt. I also pack in some steaks for the big dinner...we always have one evening where we make up a nice dinner with a salad and some side dishes...just to prove to our wives we can do it. LOL Those supplies usually go home untouched though. hehehe

Don't forget lots of TP! If you eat a lot of soups, you will spend a lot of time wipping your lower side. Lots of fiber in most soups.

Nate

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
He said he is carrying all his supplies in his pack. Canned soups are VERY heavy and do not provide the calories for the weight. Not to mention there is so much waste to pack out afterwards. You want light foods that have a lot of calories and dont take up much space.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Foil packs of Tuna, and Cooked Chicken. Compact and good protein source. Flour tortillas
Packets of Mayo, Mustard, Ketchup and Relish from the Truck stop deli
Energy Gel, from Power bar
Nature Valley granola bars
Salameti (small hard salamis)
Gatorade powder
Dried mashed potatoes
Dry gravy mix
Snickers bars
M&M's/Reeses pieces, raisins, peanuts, and Granola from the health food store
Multi Vitamin
Peanut butter in plastic tubes
Single instant coffee bags use 2 per cup
Hot Cocoa pouches

Mountain house meals: (my top picks)
Chili Mac
Beef stew
Chicken Fettucine alfredo
Lasagna
Spaghetti
Terriyaki chicken
Sausage patties (really they are good!)

Rule of thumb 100 calories per ounce (16 ounces in a pound). I amend that to be calories per average weight of all food.

·
Registered
636 Posts
grouse said:
He said he is carrying all his supplies in his pack. Canned soups are VERY heavy and do not provide the calories for the weight. Not to mention there is so much waste to pack out afterwards. You want light foods that have a lot of calories and dont take up much space.
Oh **** I missed that. OK...Regroup. I like the Mountain Home meals and have not found a single one I don't like. Still take jerky though. And TP is still a must.

Nate

·
Colorado High Life
90 Posts
Can't say that I have tried any of the "civilian" style meals, I have always had "MREs" - got to luv them MREs. Complete meals with accessories. Can eat them breakfast, lunch and dinner- besides, the family luvs them, easy to carry. Being near a military base helps alot, can always get a case or two whenever you like.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I dont go on many hunts longer than a day but I do go on a week long hike each summer. All I take is some freeze dried fruits, jerky and several types of bagels. Its not a big variety but it keeps you energized. I also carry a pistol so if I see a Squirrel..... its whats for dinner:tongue:

·
Registered
603 Posts
tewfat,

On a serious note, I carry Ramen noodles as well as various meals that I have prepared at home. Backpacker.com probably has some good ideas. I have only been on one backcountry elk hunt but I have been on several backcountry hiking/camping trips. I always carry freezedried foods except for tuna or chicken in foil packs and pita bread.

I usually premeasure meals at home and pack them in ziplock bags. Noodles, freezedried ground beef, rice, oatmeal, grits, etc.

3L

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
3L_Archer said:
tewfat,

On a serious note, I carry Ramen noodles as well as various meals that I have prepared at home. Backpacker.com probably has some good ideas. I have only been on one backcountry elk hunt but I have been on several backcountry hiking/camping trips. I always carry freezedried foods except for tuna or chicken in foil packs and pita bread.

I usually premeasure meals at home and pack them in ziplock bags. Noodles, freezedried ground beef, rice, oatmeal, grits, etc.

3L
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/gearstuff.htm

Just found this site. I like the ideas of making my own Dehydrated meals. I'm gonna try this this year!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Rack Tracker said:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/gearstuff.htm

Just found this site. I like the ideas of making my own Dehydrated meals. I'm gonna try this this year!
Rack Tracker,

I always try the meals at home to see which are my favorite and see if the recipes need any tweaking. I also cook them on my camp stove when experimenting with them at home. I don't like surprises, especially while out in the field.

3L

1 - 14 of 14 Posts