Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
deer1.jpg

I was wondering what you all thought of this buck?
Thing is i had him on camera the first week of Aug and now he has dissapeared seems all have from this plot

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
View attachment 1152362

I was wondering what you all thought of this buck?
Thing is i had him on camera the first week of Aug and now he has dissapeared seems all have from this plot
looks like a nice typical frame 10pt (5x5), but the pic is hard to confirm that...

good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
thWACK! Unless he's too young, his face looks like he may be a younger deer but it's hard to tell from a straight on pic.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks like a nice typical frame 10pt (5x5), but the pic is hard to confirm that...

good luck! :thumb:
from a few of the other pics I can count 11 but a few stickers on the base how old you think he is and i guess he has vanashed

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
deer 2.jpg

here he is from the side

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Would look dead to me.

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
from a few of the other pics I can count 11 but a few stickers on the base how old you think he is and i guess he has vanashed
i looked again, he looks to have some stuff almost at the bases of the brow tines....

age wise, i want to say 3-3.5, but i could be wrong....

he hasn't vanished, he's just sneaky, wait him out, he'll make a mistake eventually. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
To me he looks 3.5yo with crazy potential, I'd like to say I could pass on him but if he came by my stand there's no doubt my trigger finger would be getting itchy. Would be an amazing buck in a couple of years!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thing is im not even hunting yet I hope he returns he looks really nice for a deer around here I not much for just horn hunting so size and age of deer is new to me I have been taught one passed is one that you might never get a chance at or even get one for the season but i have every thing they need to have to stay on my property

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
Thing is im not even hunting yet I hope he returns he looks really nice for a deer around here I not much for just horn hunting so size and age of deer is new to me I have been taught one passed is one that you might never get a chance at or even get one for the season but i have every thing they need to have to stay on my property
true, unless you can manage in coorperation with your neighbors, the ones you pass may get shot next door.

if he is a good deer for your area and most importantly, you like him despite age and score of antler, then shoot him and post some pics with the proud smile. :thumb:

·
bowonlywhitetails
16,757 Posts
Nice buck, first pic makes me think 3.5, second pic makes me think 2.5.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
true, unless you can manage in coorperation with your neighbors, the ones you pass may get shot next door.

if he is a good deer for your area and most importantly, you like him despite age and score of antler, then shoot him and post some pics with the proud smile. :thumb:
now that is inspiration if i dont get him bow season someone will gun season

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Its a beutiful deer only you can be the final judge of whether to take him or not good luck this season.

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
now that is inspiration if i dont get him bow season someone will gun season
trust me, that's how i grew up hunting....except we didn't always have good relations with neighbors....sad situation, but it is their land to do what they want.

i remember about 6 years ago, hunting a friends place (about 200 acres)...i had passed a small 4 point young deer, as we were leaving the ranch, the neighbor was at his gate hollering about a "big one" he shot.....i looked at it in the bed of his truck, didn't say anything but congrats to him, he was happy.....it was the 4 point.

only you can be the final judge on that buck you posted, good luck to you this season. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
To me he looks 3.5yo with crazy potential, I'd like to say I could pass on him but if he came by my stand there's no doubt my trigger finger would be getting itchy. Would be an amazing buck in a couple of years!
I agree with Hasty and i cant for sure rule out the possibility of him being 2.5 he looks young... Either way, 2.5/3.5 hes got loads of potential

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Guys and good luck to you all and be safe out there!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
You have to get past that mentality, even if you live in an area of our state that shoots a lot of young deer. A lot of that stuff comes from when our deer herd was smaller and lots of people were feeding families. Our deer population is high and anymore if you just take your time you'll get a chance at mature buck. Doe's taste better anyway, if your hunting is just for the deer meat MO has way to many of them.

If you are newer to bow hunting and you want to take that deer I say go ahead, for a long time where I hunt that was a wall hanger for sure, but one guy can make a difference. One of the farms I hunt I've been working with the other guys that hunt there. It's taken 3 years for it to get here but now that farm has deer with 140's being killed instead of a big buck going only 100".

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At 30 yrs old Im like a kid in a candy store or waiting on christmas morning 15 days left I hope i can get one on video!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Where in Missouri are you located? I'd have to see him in person to get a better perspective and let you know if he's a shooter or not. So, just pm me directions and I'll letcha know in 2 weeks!:wink:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts