Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
always just bought replacement blades but this year i am wanting to resharpen the blades i have. i don't want to spend more than $50 on it, because lets face it, $50 can buy a lot of replacement blades. i have the general idea, start coarse, then medium, then fine, followed by leather, but i'm having trouble finding something that will work with the g5 t3 broadheads i shoot. most stuff is geared toward traditional archery including most articles i searched on google.

i seen something a while back that held your blades that would work with the t3's but can't remember what it was. also i have no practice sharpening anything except knives with a $5 hand sharpener so how difficult is it to truly get a razor edge that i can shave with when my better half forgets to buy me razors?:wink:

thanks

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
i use a KME. more then $50 though but i also use it for my knives

·
Registered deer murderer
632 Posts
The strop is the key. Regardless of the stone you are using, you can get most steels to shave hair by properly stropping. In fact, I have found that a medium grit stone is sometimes easier to get a shaving edge from than a fine stone since it is more aggressive and leaves a burr that is more easily removed.

Use the stone to raise a burr along the entire length of one side. Flip the blade over and work it until the burr completely moves to the other side. Repeat the process again with very light pressure. Strop both sides to remove the burr. If you do it right, the burr will fall off within a few strokes on the strop, leaving a nice shaving edge.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks that's good info! Does the kme work w the t3 heads? How exactly does it work? I'm clueless here.

·
Born yank raised south
16,757 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
the very reason I stopped using mechs. runn my snuffers across a peice of 320 grit sandpaper then 2000 grit on a sheet of glass

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I discovered the perfect solution this summer.

I have a medium and a fine stone. Which is step 1 and 2. Light pressure.

It's step 3 that created CRAZY SHARP!

I bought a wool buffing wheel for my bench top grinder, along with a fine grit stick which you hold on the wheel for a second (kind of like applying wax to a spinning wheel). This is where the metal gets polished to an unreal sharpness. I can shave hair with any knife or broadhead now. Even our kitchen knives rock!

Lots of examples on Google.

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
Thanks that's good info! Does the kme work w the t3 heads? How exactly does it work? I'm clueless here.
think the only the broadhead sharpener KME will work for them. i use the knife sharpener for my broadheads and knives since i only shoot fixed heads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts