Archery Talk Forum banner

What do you look for in an arrow

524 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  big cypress 
#1 ·
I am wondering what it is that makes you shoot the arrows or buy the shafts you do? Is it U.S.A. made, brand preference, straightness and weight tolerences, spine consistency, because your buddy does, etc.. I have to be honest this subject is my hardest to figure out for myself. I've shot a pile of arrows over the years, I love my XX78's but have yet to find a carbon shaft that grabs me yet. I am thinking about Nitro Stingers, Carbon Tech or Victory to try this year. For those of you that shoot Carbon Tech what are your thoughts? I hear they have the best consistency on the market.

Scott

#2 ·
I remember when I got back into archery in about 2005, I went into a pro shop thinking I was going to buy Beman's because that is what I saw a lot of people shooting on TV (thinking that must be the arrow to shoot). The shop convinced me that Gold Tips were more durable and the Pro hunter had better straightness...so thats what I walked out with and have been shooting GT's ever since. But it seems like there are lots of good arrows on the market now.

#4 · (Edited)
For hunting you can't beat carbons for penetration and durability. Now days they are get some really good target arrows. I got some Easton Fat Boys last year for 3D's and love them,. I wouldn't use them for hunting because of there diameter. As far as accuracy I never have any problems with carbons. I shot the old AFC you had to turn the nock some times to get them to shoot in the same hole at 20 yards. I shot 300 and 50 x average with 2200s back in the 80's with finger and a clicker. The Fat Boy I have are a great arrow. Big and round for line cutters and a awesome grouping. I put them right up there with the ACC. I shot good with aluminums for target too, but would haft to get two are three dozen a year because I shot a lot and they will bend on the ends from hitting the target and never could keep them straight or they get all dined up from hitting each other. I have shot shoots before and all most couldn't finish because I was running out of straight aluminum arrows. Carbons take a licking and keep on ticking shot after shot. I got a dozen Fat Boy last year and have all of them but two with a have robin hood twice once at 40 yards and once at 30 yards and destroyed two of them. I put it this way yesterday after a year of shooting them I was still putting a 3 arrow group all in a 3 inch spot at 50 yards with a little wind.

#5 ·
I have some Easton for years, gonna try Victory's for 3D now. I try to support makers of arrows that are Made in the USA if possible.

#6 ·
I want them extremely high quality, I want them as straight as I can get them, I want them consistently spined, I want extremely stiff, I want durable and tough, I want thick-walled carbon, I want them quiet, I want them accurate, I want them long enough, I want them as thin diameter as I can find, and I want them cheap. I don't ask for much.

#8 ·
spine consistancy, price and where they are made. I am using Carbon Impact Fat Shaft XLT 6000. They don't get talked about to much on here but I have had good luck with them. They have been very durable and fly really well. I'm from MI and they are made in MI, Traverse City.

#9 ·
I dont care where it is made....I have been shooting Goldtips since the early '90s. I want dependability, strength, tolerances to be accurate....and prices to be reasonable (I dont plan on changing brands either).....:darkbeer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.