Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

Which do you prefer when you fletch?

• Helical

Votes: 134 85.9%
  • Offset

Votes: 22 14.1%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

The Impartial Archer
I don't think they are the same. If you use straight clamps and then offset them they don't have as much helical as they do with helical clamps. That said I do both....it depends on what I'm doing with them. Hunting close with fixed heads....helical is probably what I do most. But even then sometimes I use just an offset. Depends on the fletching too.

I refuse to vote and box myself into a corner........lol

Registered
I fletch with a Bitzenberger jig and often use both with the same setup. A helical clamp but adjust a bit of offset to get maximum vane contact. Your poll is an either/or and it can easily be both.....thus I didn't vote.

Registered
JUST ANOTHER KEYBOARD WARRIOR 馃榿
Dale.......So, they are totally the same just to a less degree. Anytime you have a line that is not perfectly down the center of a cylinder it creates a helical/spiral. An "offset" is merely a small degree helical/spiral gained off of using a straight clamp. Look up the definition of helical.

Registered
Both...so no vote! And they're for sure different. Helical is a curve in the clamp that curves the fletching. Offset is a difference in left to right. So on my arrows I shoot a left helical with maxed out offset on my bitz.

Registered
Dale.......So, they are totally the same just to a less degree. Anytime you have a line that is not perfectly down the center of a cylinder it creates a helical/spiral. An "offset" is merely a small degree helical/spiral gained off of using a straight clamp. Look up the definition of helical.
Okay I will agree with this. But helical will never be offset. Helical will always be way more than an offset. Hence the differences in the names and meanings.

Registered
Helical.
356, they are not the same
Here is what Bohning think about it.. I just put it here ;)
''Manufacturers use different ways of classifying helicals/offsets, which can be confusing when making comparisons. First of all, let鈥檚 clarify that helicals and offsets are essentially the same thing. A helical is defined as any vane angle that is not a 0掳 straight fletch. An offset is, quite simply, a minor helical and usually refers to anything between 0掳 and 2掳. A vane that is fletched at greater than 2掳 appears more twisted due to way it wraps around the shaft, however, a vane fletched at less than 2掳 still has a helical 鈥渢wist,鈥 it is just less noticeable.''

Registered
Been a helical guy my whole bow hunting life. Not sure it makes a difference but thats what i just always used lol.

Registered
i use as much offset as i can get and still get good vane contact with the arrow,so as much offset as i can get

Registered
I use left helical & off set it as much as the shaft will allow me to off set it. Been using helical for 55+ years.

Reactions: Alaska at heart

Back Yard Champion
I use both, so didn't vote. Some years back some of my best shooting was with the 3.87" AAE vane set offset, this for 3D, Outdoor, Field and hunting. Even with Bohning's 4" Killer vane I use offset for hunting.

Offset - straight clamp gives offset and rarely the 3 degrees some say. Minor helical at best...if you want to call helical. I can't.........

Helical - helical clamp gives helical, but depending on length of vane helix is effected. Short vane shows little helix and most times less than a straight clamp can show for offset. However, a helical clamp can be offset with use of short vanes. A helical clamp can not be offset for longer 4 and 5" vanes and seat the vane properly.......Said is 11 degrees of helical is the most without special equipment or specialized jig......

In testing the Bohning Impulse 4" vane I used helical clamps. No doubt greater spin, but both 4" Impulse and 1 3/4" Bohning X vane Shield cut hit together as far back as 40 yards....I haven't tried longer as of yet......

All done with helical clamp set normal, not offset for shorter vanes.
1 3/4" Shield cut, 2.1" Fusion, 4" Impulse.

vanes - helical 003-3.jpg
Impulse 003-1-1.jpg

Preformed with straight clamp......not quite the said 3 degrees of drawing....More than the above helical set 1 3/4" and about the same as 2.1".

assetRZG7K0I0.jpg

Reactions: Alaska at heart

El Cool Arrow >>---->
Helical makes some vanes the loudest I have ever heard and one of the reasons I just go with lessor helical or offset... As long as your arrows hit with broad heads most consistent!

Registered
thats interesting that the helical sounded louder to you, as i have only used Blazer, Bohning & AAE vanes. but the other day i set some arrows up for my wife and she was shooting at 60 yards and the straight vanes were much louder than the arrows i set up with helical vanes. i definitely agree on use whatever makes your arrows fly best with the broadheads, for me the helical really tightened up my groups with fixed broadheads beyond 40 yards.

Registered
I've done both & can't say "I" see an advantage to either. I've shot heli & offset at the same time just to see if I had anything different. Nope, they group the same. I've done this with BHs thru 60 yds. SO, I do offset as they are less problems fletching (I build/repair all my arrows & for 8 family members).

Shootin and Cussin
I do helical for longer vanes for hunting. For outdoor spots and 3D I do offset because the vanes are so small.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts