Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shooting a Solution, 70lb and i belueve 27.5 or 28 draw. I have an HHA tetra multi pin. I LOVE HHA but this is my first multi pin from them. Honestly not a fan. Even with the rheostat closed I get a lot of Starburst from the other pins during the day,and honestly mine doesn't appear (I'm sure it's my mind/vision) to have the pins stacked straight. My previous MBG was the cats meow for me for pins.

So anyways, I'm thinking of getting a single pin scope to replace it (or going to a MBG single).

For those that shoot approx what I do, what range do you keep your pin at for hunting? I see a lot of guys are right around 27 yards... and what is your hold over/under in inches out to 40?

·
Archery Addict
9,560 Posts
I have two HHA Tetra single pin sights and one MBG Ascent Verdict Single Pin. I keep my pin set on 20 yards while bowhunting out of a treestand. I haven't found a situation yet where I couldn't adjust the pin for a farther distance. I practice out of a ladder stand at 20-30 yards using the 20 yard pin and I'm just a couple of inches low at 30. If I aim for top 1/3 of the lungs on my 3D deer target I'm in the kill zone for ranges to 30 yards. Inside of 20 yards I aim at the top of the heart for the exit.(lower 1/3 lungs). I gave up the multi pin sights several years ago when my cataracts first started blurring my vision. I'm getting them removed the first 2 weeks of June, but I don't foresee going back to multi pins.

Reactions: Swampwise

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I'm shooting a Solution, 70lb and i belueve 27.5 or 28 draw. I have an HHA tetra multi pin. I LOVE HHA but this is my first multi pin from them. Honestly not a fan. Even with the rheostat closed I get a lot of Starburst from the other pins during the day,and honestly mine doesn't appear (I'm sure it's my mind/vision) to have the pins stacked straight. My previous MBG was the cats meow for me for pins.

So anyways, I'm thinking of getting a single pin scope to replace it (or going to a MBG single).

For those that shoot approx what I do, what range do you keep your pin at for hunting? I see a lot of guys are right around 27 yards... and what is your hold over/under in inches out to 40?
if you set the needle right between 20 and 30, at the mark, then that is actually slightly over 25 yards in reality and probably close to 26 or 27 yards (it will hit very slightly on a target set at 25 yards)

that's where i always set mine with a 290 fps bow......with that setting, it was nearly a dead hold from 0 to around 30 yards, very easy to shoot accurately out to 35 yards if you practiced the holdover

last year, i went to a 2 pin fixed sight with one pin at 25 and the other at 40.....i like it better than the single pin

·
The Impartial Archer
22,139 Posts
The bow isn't important it's the speed of the setup that matters. Comfort? Performance? Arrow weight etc?

·
Registered
14,589 Posts

personally, i keep mine on 20.... the vast majority of shots are inside 20, and aiming center of vitals, i'm good to 34yds with my current arrow aiming for 20, still within the vitals of a deer, and if beyond that, i'm ranging or not shooting

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
What is your speed? That’s what matters. I shoot over 310. Set my sight to 25 and have killed deer from 6 to 36 with it set there. No holdover or under. I aim halfway up the body for all shots.
In all honestly, it’s something you have to figure out yourself. Test extensively on targets and then continue testing in the field. Good luck!

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,439 Posts
I always set my pin to hit right on at 20. If my target is between 0 and 25 yards I am confident with hitting vitals without any adjustments. If it’s 30 or beyond, I will likely adjust my sights accordingly.

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,439 Posts
I have noticed that most of my shots are under 20 yards, and that’s because I set up near a food source(usually apple trees) and I make sure that my stand is within 20 yards from intersecting deer trails. If the deer is under 10 yards, I need to remember to aim a couple inches lower. I have forgotten to aim lower(lower 1/3) on closer shots resulting in high hits(still lethal and recovered). The main thing is to envision your hunting scenario and set your bow/sights up to accommodate your hunting situation and get comfy with your setup. Practice from an elevated stand or platform on a 3d deer and I’m sure you will be good to go by Fall.

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
For my single pin I have always set it a 25 yards but I keep my shots on live game limited to 32 yards, I’m shooting 250 fps. This setting keeps me in the kill zone up close and out to 30 yards. I have been shooting a single pin sight for so many years I can easily hit targets to 45 yards with a little hold over.

·
Registered
14,589 Posts

I think the best thing you can do is go set your sight on 20yds, shoot from 10yds to whatever distance your arrow drops out of the vitals… then set at 25yds and do the same, then 30yds, do the same… learn your trajectory well and that will tell you where to leave your sight while hunting (knowing where most of your shots are taken)

don’t overthink it… I think it’s better to over simplify hunting concepts rather than over complicate them

it’s all caveman stuff

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
For my single pin I have always set it a 25 yards but I keep my shots on live game limited to 32 yards, I’m shooting 250 fps. This setting keeps me in the kill zone up close and out to 30 yards. I have been shooting a single pin sight for so many years I can easily hit targets to 45 yards with a little hold over.
I do think it’s a great idea, once you figure out where to leave your sight, to shoot a lot of different ranges using holdover… just in case

knowing your setup is more valuable than any new bow, accessory, arrow or broadhead…. Yet people focus on the stuff that doesn’t matter much

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
I used the HHA Optimizer lite for a lot of years and that worked extremely well, it was the best of both worlds in that I kept it at 25 yards and had the option to set it at different ranges if I had the time. It was easy a quick to set. When I was trying to reduce weight above the grip I changed that out with an HHA non adjustable single pin that it was lighter. I miss that option and may go back to the Optimizer sight. It was very durable and tight.

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,439 Posts
Approximately how much drop occurs between 20 and 30 yards with your hunting setup? I’m just curious as I leave my slider at 20 when I’m hunting and occasionally a deer will appear in a shooting lane around 27-30 yards. Natural I want to adjust my sights to the 30 yard setting but in a hunting situation there isn’t always enough time. Last year I aimed approximately 3 inches higher when the deer appeared at 30. It ended up working out pretty well with a kill shot. I need to practice those scenarios in the off season to be more sure of my setup, but I’m curious how much drop you notice

·
Mark
6,529 Posts
Depends upon trails distance from tree but generally set mine at 25 yards and practice out to 30. If beyond 30 I try to range and adjust slide.

·
The Impartial Archer
22,139 Posts
If the deer is under 10 yards, I need to remember to aim a couple inches lower. I have forgotten to aim lower(lower 1/3) on closer shots resulting in high hits(still lethal and recovered).
That's a great point and one I try to make here often. There are pro's & con's to everything in archery and you have to be aware of them. That's the way I hunt as well and most of my shots are super close..........5 - 12 I'd say and that's way I would personally never set a pin to 25 - 30. because like he's saying at 10 yards you have to aim low...........even with a fast bow and in the excitement it's easy to aim dead on.....that's what you do when you practice......and sometimes it happens if things happen fast.

The further out you set the "!" pin the more you will have to aim low at close range or risk a void...........lol. If you put it at 20 then you have to adjust probably after 27 or so even for a fast bow. So you need to look at your average shot AND your bows speed and hit the sweet spot for you...........that's the best plan IMO.

I have thought about just putting a single pin for 15 on my bow for the reasons I talked about but then I can't practice.........plus my pins aren't all wadded up thanks to my 8GPP setup so it's never really been an issue to me..........I never even notice the other pins.......but they are there if I need them. I shot a doe at 30 yards (was 29 after I ranged the shot) but that was 2016 (thanks to the I-phone date tag........lol) but I was hunting a new property and the conditions were perfect but I was needing the meat and the season started slow.

My point is look at your average then your trajectory and then set it up for that.......not what others are. If you hunt like Hobbs and I you'd be crazy to setup for 25 or 30.......if you are hunting mule deer and shooting 30 - 40 more then 30 might be the ticket. Good luck

Reactions: hobbs4421

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I think the best thing you can do is go set your sight on 20yds, shoot from 10yds to whatever distance your arrow drops out of the vitals… then set at 25yds and do the same, then 30yds, do the same… learn your trajectory well and that will tell you where to leave your sight while hunting (knowing where most of your shots are taken)

don’t overthink it… I think it’s better to over simplify hunting concepts rather than over complicate them

it’s all caveman stuff
good point.....i'll add that it is useful to set the pin differently on various hunts

my standard was 25 yards, but if i was in a little opening where my max shot was 20 yards and 10 yards was more likely, then i'd set it for 15 or 20 yards

a few times in more wide open areas with a lot of places that deer could appear, i set it at 30 yards

just practice and know your holds with various settings at various yardages

lastly, hunting eastern white tail, the idea that you are going to be able to adjust your sight in the heat of the moment is kind of silly (adrenaline, deer moving around at various yardages, and you having to draw the bow back when the deer's head is hidden).....and i think it is more something people talk about than actually do

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Top pin set at 12 yards gets it done for me. Deer at 25 yards and beyond are out of my comfort zone. Most of my shots are between 8 and 20 yards and I like knowing my arrow is going to hit exactly where my pin is. High shots lead to a mess, not worth it.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Top pin set at 12 yards gets it done for me. Deer at 25 yards and beyond are out of my comfort zone. Most of my shots are between 8 and 20 yards and I like knowing my arrow is going to hit exactly where my pin is. High shots lead to a mess, not worth it.
a single pin goes really well with a fast set up

my backup bow that still wears an adjustable hha single pin shoots 290 fps

that is fast enough that it is about like a laser from 0 to 25 yards....dead hold and you hit within a few inches (at most ranges within 1 inch)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts