Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that doesn't practice and is obviously not prepared for bowseason?

I have 2. One is my brother and the other is a cousin. They lift weights every night of the week but never have time to practice with me or my other cousin. Recently we took them both to shoot 3d and they both were 100 POINTS behind out of possible 360!!!! I think both maybe had 5 kill shots on 30 targets!:eek:

My brother lucked out last year when he shot one in the neck and caught the jugular. In NO way are either of these guys even remotely prepared for deer season but I'm not sure how to tell them they have NO business being out in the woods on opening day. Unfortunately at one time several years ago I was probably in close to the same position as these guys. I did practice a lot more though. Now I'm shooting at least 3 or 4 times a week if not every night.

What do I do? I don't want to offend them but I want even less for them to make a poor shot and we not find the animal!

·
Registered
193 Posts
"What do I do? I don't want to offend them but I want even less for them to make a poor shot and we not find the animal"

Well, I think you said it right there. The deer don't deserve to suffer. Let them know that their shooting is less than perfect and they are likely to lose alot of deer. No one wants that. Good luck to you and I hope you can get them to shoot more.

Doug

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'd like to know the answer to this, I'm faced with a very similar situation with a family member. Hasn't shot a bow in 2 years, expects to shoot the week before the season starts. Doesn't follow any scent precautions OR care which way the wind is blowing. Would head to the dead center of a core bedding area if given the chance. I really don't know what to do or say. I've spent the last few years, not overhunting this place, staying out of stands if the wind ain't right, watching my entrance and exits. It's too small to hunt around someone, I'm sure the big ones will either scoot across the property lines or go nocturnal.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Here is the reply I posted in DUB'S thread about this..................

Man, you are not alone on this one. I have a friend who is literally like a brother to me, I was the best man in his wedding, he was best man in mine. That being said, I haven't archery hunted with him in roughly 8 years.

To make a long story short, I scout, I hang stands, I find the deer, I shoot my bow and do everything I can to up my odds. He doesn't shoot his bow, smells like cigarettes all the time, never scouts, never helped to hang stands, is noisier than hell in the woods. It got the point one day where he got down out of his stand right at prime time and went back to the car cause he was bored and proceeded to call my cell phone about 100 times which I had on vibrate.

At any rate, that was the last time I archery hunted with him and I blatently told him, you don't shoot the bow, don't help me hang stands or scout, you're not shooting my deer. I have even gone out of my way to see if he wanted to shoot when I do and he always has some sort of excuse, and when I ask him why he can't shoot during the day when he's home by himself with nothing to do, again, some sort of excuse. I call him to help me hang stands and he either says no or again, he is busy. Until he changes his ways, he'll never archery hunt with me again.

Gun season is different, he shoots his gun and is proficient with it, and since there's 3 million people in the woods here during gun season anyway I'm not too worried about his scent lol.

It was a rough decision to make and I do feel bad sometimes when he starts moping during archery season here, but if he isn't going to shoot his bow, he's not hunting because just like you, I'm not giving up my hunt to waste 8 hours looking for a deer he shot.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Tell them that they should limit their eithical kill shot range to the distance at which they can put 90% of their arrows in an area half the size of the kill zone (meaning 90% in about a 4" circle). Then say, "Let's go to the range and find the limit for each of us." Sounds like theirs is about 8-10 yards. :rolleyes:

I would seriously discourage them from hunting and would never hunt with them until they proved proficiency at a reasonable range of at least 15-20 yards.

A 5:1 ratio of bad shots to good on an inanimate target is a million miles from ready-to-hunt. :no:

Good luck,
Byron :)

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
re

Yah my brother is the same way. i am gonna ask him soon if he plans to prepare for the season or just wing it like he always does. i realy dont care if i offend him cuz I respect the deer a lot. He is too busy doing other things to practice, so he should be too busy to hunt(just my 2 cents)

·
Registered
782 Posts
That is a tuff situation

I would pull them aside individually and let them know how you feel.
I would also point out that they had only 5 shots out of 30 that would ethicly kill a deer, which means there would be 25 animals wounded because of their failure to prepare. :secret:

Most of us have either knows someone or have had sleepless nights worrying if you will find that animal in the morning because you made a marginal hit on the evening before. Not to mention it ruins the next mornings hunts for the rest of the group because everyone is looking for dead or wounded animal.:embara:

If they are reasonable they should understand that they need to put in the work needed to be prepared to hunt. Plus I have yet to meet a Bow Hunter that didn't like to shoot his bow!!!:tongue:

Good luck!!!

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,392 Posts
Offend away. Tell them how you feel about a deer suffering with an arrow sticking out of it's hind quarter or through it guts. Not pretty when you find one on it's death bed from this type of shot. I realize that even an experienced archer can make a mistake but to go into it with limited skills is just asking for trouble. I find it offensive to see a deer suffer because someone thinks they can hunt with a couple hours of practice before the season. Seen a few of them at the range last night. Tried to help one guy out and he said "There's so many deer around, who cares, I'll just be slinging arrows." :eek::pukey:

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Postone, I believe you may have hit the nail on the head. There are Bowhunters and folks who hunt with a bow. The Bowhunter is dedicated to the sport. The other fellow is just trying to get a few extra opportunities to kill a deer without any preparation. There are many guys around here who don't shoot at all until 2 weeks before season and then shoot a couple of rounds of Techno Hunt and declare themselves ready.
Dave Nowlin

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
It's obvious they both shouldn't be in the woods. Go ahead and tell them how you really feel, it's not fair to the animal or whoever else is tracking it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If t hit 5 out of 30 and didnt realize themselves they werent ready then there may be no hope. I would tell them how you feel if they are unwilling to put in the work then they need to stay out of the woods.

·
Registered
782 Posts
That's sad!!!

mn5503 said:
Offend away. Tell them how you feel about a deer suffering with an arrow sticking out of it's hind quarter or through it guts. Not pretty when you find one on it's death bed from this type of shot. I realize that even an experienced archer can make a mistake but to go into it with limited skills is just asking for trouble. I find it offensive to see a deer suffer because someone thinks they can hunt with a couple hours of practice before the season. Seen a few of them at the range last night. Tried to help one guy out and he said "There's so many deer around, who cares, I'll just be slinging arrows." :eek::pukey:
You should have shot him in the butt with a feild point!!!:mad:
Maybe it would stop him from shooting up the woods.

·
Registered
14,717 Posts
There are lots of people like this........

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
This is a tough one, but invite them to shoot, pack the target up and got to their place to shoot. Try to help make them proficient if you like them well enough that you want to spend time shooting with them and helping them get their skills better. I, like many other have also been through this, and in the end, I just quit hunting with the "wounder wonders," and hunt alone. I shoot nearly everyday, and with either bow, I am shooting nearly 100% kills out to 40yds, approximately 80-85% at 56yds, where my last pin is, however, I will limit my shots to 40yds, which I now have a rangefinder to help me figure out what 40yds is. I missed a buck of a lifetime 2 yrs ago because I thought he was about 32yds, which I had a pin set for, so I put the pin right on his heart, thinking if he does jump string a bit (which I've personally never had a deer do until last year) I'll be okay. He never flinched until the arrow hit the ground in the other side of him, after passing beneath him. And the 170" monster just trotted off. He's still alive, and probably pushing 200" this year, I WILL NOT make that mistake again if it is offered up. I have shot like a fiend for the last 2 yrs hoping to never make that mistake again. I missed a similar shot on a doe last year, same scenario, but I was holding my 40 pin on an animal that was about 46-47yds out, arrow slipped under her, no harm done, excpet to my pride. So this year, I've ante'd up to make sure I don't make these previous mistakes. A few years ago I learned about the straight down shot w/ a 140's 12 point (10pt w/ 2 kickers), so I learned to shoot straight down. I am pretty much self-taught, but I learned from my stupid mistakes, and willingly share my stupidity so others won't have to. Turn your brother and friend onto ArcheryTalk, and see if they can learn something here from some of us so you don't have to do all the work.

I wish you GOOD LUCK with this as I've not been successful in the past, and now hunt solo nearly all the time. :beer: :beer: Cheers!!!

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I think that we all know people like this and what can you do. I try to explain to people the importance of having the proper equipment and practice, practice, practice. Some people just dont understand and it really does suck!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I feel all your guys pain. Wednesday night I got into a heated discussion with my buddy about this exact topic. In his defense, he does shoot, but he doesn't care about scent, he didn't help put up stands, or should I say he did a good job of supervising, and he doesn't care about wind. I had to tell him straight up, look you are not going to kill that big guy in he woods, smelling like pert plus and irish spring, and you are lessing my chances. I got him into bow hunting and now I wish I never did.:mad:

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
yeah, i got a friend at work who has people beleiving hes a real survival ,king of the woods kind of guy.he thinks he knows it all so you cant tell him anything.our season starts here oct.1st and hes yet to get his bow out and practice.i couldnt begin to tell you how many deer hes wounded and couldnt find over the last few years .these kind of guys make me sick.i kind of wish there was some kind of test a person would have to take before they could get there license for archery season.that would separate the true hunters from the flingers real fast.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My brother did at least help put out stands....the cousin did not. I guess if it was just a friend I would not care about coming out and confronting them. It's my brother and a cousin that's just like a brother. Both of them have different priorities. It's not like I can insult them and have no backlash. I see both of these guys at least once a week if not almost daily some weeks. It's a tough situation for me!

I'd like to get them to care more about the impact they might have. They are just looking for the easiest way out though and don't care near as much as I do about hunting and archery. Every time I shoot a 3d course or practice they are both invited EVERY TIME! Only once has either of them taken me up on the offer of shooting 3d though and that is the time I speak of. It's SAD!!!!! I just don't know what to do.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
deer dude said:
i kind of wish there was some kind of test a person would have to take before they could get there license for archery season.that would separate the true hunters from the flingers real fast.

I am with you here! There should definately be some kind of skill test before allowing anyone to hunt IMO!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
at one time, that guy was me

my father always picked with me about practicing and doing it often. not just picking up the bow a month before season and in hopes of being prepared, id lift weights and such off an on, but i never practice what i need to do but now i shoot atleast 9 months out of the year. just to stay in toon and since i shoot sitting down at game ive learned to put that in my practice sessions. the last thing i ever want to do is wound a deer and let it suffer and its heart breaking but if your ill prepared its going to happend and its my duty to harvest a deer as safe and humane as possible or sell out my archery stuff and stick to rifle only do to its alot easier and you gane more distance but i love bow hunting and nothing true rewarding then getting a deer with a stick and a string, on top of placing the arrow where you aimed

1 - 20 of 49 Posts