Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost a deer last week. I shot him, small spike, right at last light. when I started tracking him, I used a regular flashlight. After tracking him for 3 1/2 hours, I lost the blood trail, had great bright red blood too. It got me looking a little closer at the blood light that use the red/green filters to make the blood more visible.

Anyone use these? What do you think? BTW I am switching back to fixed blade broadheads as well!

·
Registered
949 Posts
My buddy had one, I forget which one it was. Anyways, it didn't work worth a damn!!!!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
They're worthless, tried and failed.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I use a coleman lantern. It works pretty good. I heard the blood tracker lights aren't worth it so I never bothered.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Ditto, even in their own advertisements it the blood doesn't appear to be more visible to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Side x side comparison this year with the Primos and a Dewalt rechargeable. The Primos light was the looser for sure. I am just glad it was my buddies light and I didn't waste the money on it.

·
Live Free or Die!
8,575 Posts
I've used one. I didn't like it. Thought my regular LED head lamp was better. After staring at that light color, my eyes were annoyed!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't know what you are all talking about! Those lights work great, if you were tracking a deer across a parking lot! But in the woods they turn everything red and make it impossible to follow the actual blood trail. A buddy of mine if color blind so he bought one of these, paid $75. He shot a deer a couple days later and we took up the blood trail. There was plenty of blood but due to his color blindness he can't see it. So he turned his light on and was amazed how well he could see the blood! Problem was there was blood everywhere he pointed the flashlight lol! He was like 15yds off the actual blood trail yelling, blood here! I just let him go because it was hilarious. Then I called him over to his dead deer, heart shot only ran about 50yds. Needless to say he wasn't too happy with his fancy light.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
If the blood was the only thing red on the ground, it might be worth it. But, out here, there are lots of red leaves during the whitetail season. Get a good rechargable lantern.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I have one, fortunately i bought the one that has a white LED as well. Works best on white (although, a strictly LED white flashlight would be the best). Have a blacklight flashlight that we used to use to hunt for Scorpions in Phoenix. That works way better, makes blood light up like Christmas lights. Just don't ever turn it on in a bathroom, you will never want to touch anything ever again inside one, lol.

·
The dude abides
1,066 Posts
We had a homemade one with the yellowish filter on a mag light and it worked good. The marketed ones combine a red and green light in the center but they suck. Also I have some led lights and I think incandescent lights work much better. The homemade light did make the blood pop when it hit it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
IBA Hunter
556 Posts
I found that the green filter on the Primos light makes the blood look black and stand out alot, but as far as making the blood glow...not a chance. My method is to use the Primos light to follow the black spots, then confirm with a seperate white LED.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Take your money flush it down the dumper, you'll have the same thing.:thumbs_do

·
Registered
375 Posts
Used one in the early season and it was worthless. Used it again late season and it worked great. Depends on whats on the ground.

·
Registered
517 Posts
a friend bought one. I shot a deer and he pulled out his light, I had a bright white light. I couldn't see blood with his at all. turned mine on and it was everywhere. Couldn't even see the blood on the arrow with his light. After about 5 mins he his turned it off!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Crap

Another hunting must have, So you will spend money. If there is any little amount of blood to be seen You can find it with a led or propane lantern.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Funny,, just for the heck of it I purchased a real cheap one from Wal Mart was like 17 bucks I think.. Anyway shot a doe just before dark in early Nov. saw her go down so didn't need the light but tried it after it was dark and it made the blood really stand out. I've used Coleman lanterns and other lights but this one made it show up better than anything else I've tried go figure. I'll keep it around and for the price pick up another one ...Randy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts