Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday,here in Portland there was a bull moose in back cove swimming around(mind you,this is maine's biggest city)well,everyone started to gather and watch..a lot of people brought their kids..after a few hours of swimming in the cove,the local police called the wardens and the state biologist.upon discussing that the moose had no place to safely exit,it was decided to euthanize the animal.it is my understanding that the police unsuccesfully tried to disperse the crowd. then the moose started to come out of the water,and the police fired 3 shots,killing the moose.now the city is in an uproar that the police killed this animal in front of everyone.alot of the people said they should of tranquilized it and relocated,but according to the police/wardens/biologist,this was not a feesable option.what do you think? i think they did the right thing...this moose is in the rut,and potentially could have hurt many people.i think these are the same people that would have sued anyone they could have if that bull moose would have charged and hurt them or their children...........

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
What do I think of this??

I bet their having moose loins at the Policemans Ball this year.....:D
.Seriously though I beleive they done the right thing,if it was in rut.I'm not familiar with moose, but I understand they can get "nasty".
Actually the people who are outraged at this have "themselves to blame",if they would have left like they were asked to do,they would not have been in danger and forced the Police to take the extreme measure ....IMO...

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
The decision is one to be made by the Maine DNR, but honestly I worked with the NYS DEC and we did alot of relocations with Moose, and generally it was never much of a problem. (Actually if you watch the Discovery Channels special on Moose, I'm in the part of the documentary where they are relocating a moose near the Hudson River in NY!)

They could have tried tranqualization, but in the end you have to trust the judgement of the guys who do this all the time. Even tranqulization isn't foolproof. Those drugs are VERY strong and can kill the animal if not measured precisely. To do this the body weight of the animal must be estimated very closely, so it is tricky. Also the more stressed the animal is (usually quite a bit) the increased risk of death when tranqualized.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just watched the news...the police were told if the moose started to come towards the crowd,they were to shoot..and thats what they did.the wardens and the state biologist said that the moose was not in a containable area tranquilize it.i also found out that it was there swimming around from 8 in the morning,until it was shot at 2:30 PM.the news also stated that maine state biologists and wardens said the police officer that shot the moose was justified in doing so to protect the public.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I believe they did what made the most sense. If they had tried to tranquilize the Moose and it headed into the crowd of people and hurt someone ; what do you think would happen then? Lawyers are already too busy.

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
This wasn't Fifi the friggen poodle.

This was 1000# animal that can kill people. It's happened in Anchorage AK a few years ago and it could happen again. I think they made a good call. They don't tranq. and transport critters up here very often because of the cost involved. In this day of budget shortfalls in state governments I can certainly see the reasoning.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your replies....now my true feelings...the" tree hugging"an "bunny hugging" folks who didnt want to see the animal get euthanized,should have left the area when the police asked them to.im sure this probably was traumatic for some of the children there,as not everyone is a hunter or understands the danger this animal posed.my question is,if you didnt want your child to be subject to something that may not have had a story-book ending,why did you submit them to the possibility?why didnt they listen to the police? wow...sure is great to live in america where i can voice my opinion.god bless america.
:)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Reminds me of a scene in "American Outlaws" "Lady you might want to turn around. Why she asked. Outlaw replies, Because I don't think you really want to see me blow this guys head off."

That's the problem these days.... If you don't tell somebody exactly what is going to happen then they don't listen or care....the police were trying to be nice and P.C.... but in retrospect they should have told the crowd, Look leave because if you don't leave and this moose gets out and charges the crowd, little Johnny here will get trampled and his head will squish like a grape when the moose steps on it, and also if you don't want to see that moose get shot in order to protect little johnny's head from being squished like a grape I would leave now.... See what happens when you are politacally correct..

If there weren't a large crowd around then the odds are that the moose would still be alive today... but because of the crowd it is now feeding the needy....

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I agree with TreeJumper's statement, if they would've left when they were told, then the authorities might have had some room to work with the moose. As it stands, they did what they had to do to stop potential koatic situations.

Sometimes people are their own worst enemy. :rolleyes:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
The job is called PUBLIC SAFETY

POLICE HAVE A JOB TO PROTECT THE PUBLIC

WHERE WAS PETA TO save the moose?

MOOSE STEAKS STEAKS ON THE GRILL AT FOP LODGE # 1 PORTLAND
YUMMY

go cops go

TINK:cool:

·
Registered
77 Posts
PETA ? Doesn't that stand for People Eating Tasty Animals?
:D

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MMMmmmmmm Tasty animals.......i hope to stick one with an arrow this weekend!!!:D going on my deer hunt my husband got for me..never hunted with a guide before,should be a great time..wish me luck!:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Good luck on your hunt. This cooler weather should help. If you only have a Parker.... my Mathews might be available :D

Have fun !

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
very funny,trapper!!! i'll stick to my Parker....did you see the press hearald today?people writing to the editor regarding the whole moose thing.one guy said how appaulled he was..and then said"i realize Maine is a state that hunts" THAT INFURIATES ME!what the heck does hunting have to do with a police officer shooting a moose in back cove?! was that officer HUNTING?! WOW.....blows my mind......

·
Registered
421 Posts
If I were a city official in that city here's what I would do.....

Very publicly take the moose to a local butcher/meat processor and let them get their name in the paper for processing the meat for free for a local food bank or homeless shelter. Then take the meat and feed as many hungry and or homeless people as one moose can, again very publicly so that everyone knows where the moose went. Then lets see how many PETA peckerheads will be willing to put it in the public wringer for their cause! Any guesses?

:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
This Mountain Lion was called in using a Primos Imperial Plate and a Primos Hochie Mama imitating an Elk Calf and Cow.

While bow hunting for Elk, she stalked my caller.

I shot her at 9 yrds with a bow in Granby Colorado.

She is Aprox 120 pounds, Aprox 6’ in length, Adult Female

Thanks Primos, even the woods best predator out there was fooled!

Stats:
PSE Primos STL Bow
PSE Carbon Force Arrows
Thunder Head 100 fixed broadheads
Primos Imperial Plate
Primos Hochie Mama

·
Registered
175 Posts
CS Garaglino

Wow, cool experience. Thanks for sharing it. I've called in lots of deer, all does, using a predator call for coyotes. Did ja' get your elk?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts