Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I aquired a bow that I am going to use as my back up. I have a 30" DL, the bow is set at 64lbs. The arrows are 30.5" Beman ICS Hunter 340's with 100grain points. It has a drop zone rest. I am attempting to tune this bow and to get bullet holes through paper I have had to move the rest way out to the left. I mean way out left to the point that there has to be something wrong. I don't have enough windage adjustment in the sight to move out that far to sight it in. I have started over at center several times and still end out way left to get the bullet holes. I did walk back and it appears to group vertically with this left set up. Anybody have any ideas. This is so far left it just can't be right. I don't think these arrows are over spined. Thoughts please I am out of ideas.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Let me guess.....it's a Bowtech with Binary cams.
Their centershot is waay out to the left. Measures about an inch from the face of the riser to center of the arrow shaft. If your paper and walkback are good, i'd say you're OK.

·
Registered
387 Posts
bow?

what kind of bow is it? my bowtech is way out to the left for its centershot but thats just the way it is. it shoots great. also remember paper tuning is just a starting place. if you cant find info on here contact the manufacturere and they should be able to give you a centershot measurment that will be close.

Brian

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an older Xi Extreme. The bow is at least 10 years old. The left set up is just so far off of center it has me questioning everything. I had one of these bows back when they were the bow. I don't recall having to set it up like that.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If it's a reasonably fast bow, it doesn't sound overspined at all. It could be underspined though with 30.5" arrows which would agree with the rest needing to be so far to the left. (I shoot a tribute with 28.5inch axis 340's at 60lbs 30inch DL and with 85gr points I'm "right on" spine wise) However, it shouldn't be extreme so...

If it's a bowtech, the center shot is 7/8" from the riser, much more than that and there's a problem. Otherwise I'd say hand torque (especially if it's a bowtech) and/or fletching contact. If that takes care of most of the problem, then I'd look at arrow spine.

·
Registered
389 Posts
hmmmm... "older" bow... Prob not needing a super agressive spine... I'd make sure the bow was in specs (axle-axle, BH, etc...) Check cam timing, tiller, etc... THen I'd suspect a hand torque or contact issue.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've checked the bow specs. It's got a new string and cables. That have had about 100 shots through them. The ata and bh are within a 1/8" of spec. Cam timing is right on as well. The bow is fast even by todays standards. The paper tears are nock right until I get the rest way out to the left. That kind of tear is usually a overspined arrow. At least that is what it says in the easton tuning guide. I don't get this one. I just am having trouble believing that the rest should be that far left of center.

·
Registered
409 Posts
you may have a cam that is slitly tilted. the way to fix that is to either take out and a few twist in your cable i can't remember witch cable bus or control. it may also be a center shot bow, if it is a center shot bow, and if u have any other rest on there other than a center shot rest u may have that kind of issue.

Just a couple of things to think about i'd really have to see the bow to know for sure but it sounds like it could be the cam is tilted.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I don't know what bow your talking about. but you put on a new cable does the (Y) on the cable have even twist ? or add two twist to the left side of the yoke to bring in the center shot. being that far out left could never be the arrow spine issue.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did put two extra twists in the right side of the yoke to account for some cam lean. I'll have to have someone check it while I have it a full draw. I really need to make a draw board so I can check this stuff out. There's no one else in my house that can help me out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts