Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried three different materials on my shoot through prong style rest. I have tried heat shrink tubing, slip on fork tamers (black one by NAP), and paint on teflon (called silent cote). All were quiet but wore off very fast.

Does anyone have any ideas? What does everyone use?

What about leather?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
there's a product called hush tubes they just slide over your prongs. i shoot 3d everyweekend since february and about 3 days during the week.had them on for about a year now and they haven't wore out yet.there great i love em.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Depends on the arrow you're using... some are more abrasive than others... Got a buddy that shoots Gold Tips they are louder and wear out everything we've tried to silence them with.
My ICS hunters are not as loud and don't wear the material as bad... I shoot a TT Shakey Hunter and use Moleskin. I buy it at the Drugstore $4.50 for a years supply.... I use it on my shelf as well, incase I flip an arrow off the rest... no noise....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Carbons are bad on rests.

That is my problem. I am using blackhawks. They eat up everything I have tried. Those black fork tamers( the teflon ones that are suppose to last 10 times longer than shrink tubing) are gone in less than 50 shots. They work for a while but my point of impact changes as the thick black teflon wears out. That is why I don't want to hunt with them.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Fleece

I also shoot the Blackhawk vapors , shot em last year & this year.... I use the fleece type moleskin on my rests...Last year I used a NAP Quickdrop 2000, this year I'm shooting a Trophy Taker Shakey hunter....Though a fall away will not take the continues abuse that the regualr stationary rest does the fleece is easy to replace & really quiet....

·
Registered
300 Posts
I use the black slip on ones, not sure of the name. but actually you really don't have to put them on till right before huntin season. there's really no use in practicin with them on, it's just more wear on them.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Good thread. Very good question. I am starting to get a little impatient with my heat shrink tubes and will try something else.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
when I shot a bodoodle, i finally found the answer to that question! I cut fine pieces of leather from an old glove and glued them to the rest prongs....quiet as could be no matter which arrow I drew threw it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just use a band-aid. Cut off the sticky ends and stickem on your prongs. I use mine on a MZE drop away. The bandaids I use are almost like moleskin, I don't know how better to describe them.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I just got a new QT3000 and those black Quiet-Tuff prong covers that came with it are worthless. I wore them out sighting my bow in. I had Slick Tubes on my old rest and they were indestructable. Problem is I can't find them anywhere. I bought them at a booth at the Deer and Turkey expo a few years ago. Next time I'm buying more than one set!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rackattacker

I hear ya man. Those NAP things do suck. I shoot blackhawk carbons and man can they eat up those black things.

I am trying moleskin now. I put some on last night and shot about 40 times. They still look like they are in decent shape. The problem is not keeping it quit, it is making it last.

I have also thought about leather but I don't know how to make it stay on the rest.

someone else mentioned leather. I am curious how they got that to work.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I use arrow rest tape.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Buckskin take the damn thing off and get you a whisker bisquit....and be done with it. Don't waste time and money messing with it.............just my humble answer.........:D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dwayne

Over the last 30 years I think I have almost tried everthing. No matter what I try I always end up going back to moleskin. Nothing is as quiet. I sure don't know how good of arrow flight you are getting, but with wear problems like some of you are experiencing I have to wonder about flight issues. I shoot CE 400s and shoot most of the summer without replacing it. I always put new stuff on before hunting season though.
Good luck this year,
Dwayne

·
Registered
441 Posts
I agee with ya old dog 48!!!:D

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Slick Tubes....Mine are Green But they have clear ones out this year.....Shoot mine all last year with GoldTips and had very little wear.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
arrow noise

buckskin73:
i use a shoot thru type rest and used to have the same noise problem. Somewhere i read an article about the coated carbons(Epsilons) from SME (now Vital Bow Gear) and tried them out. These are now what I use exclusively for hunting, as they are absolutely silent when drawing and on release! An additional benefit is that I don't have to put anything to silence them on the launcher prongs, so, nothing to wear out!
Oh, and I wouldn't recommend using the coated shafts for 3D foam type targets without some decent lube cause they are muthas to pull (the uncoated Epsilons pull very easily though)!!
Good Luck with a solution!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Quietest Rest

Life is too short to be screwing around with tape,moleskin, and nailpolish, get a whisker biscuit and shoot the bow instead. Good luck hunting!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts