Archery Talk Forum banner

what does everyone think about the new trend in rest position?

1203 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  MHansel
It seems line we are going back to the 90s when over draws were popular. If you look at all the new style rest on the market I.E The biscuit, most drop aways, and especially the muzzy zero effect. The rest is holding the arrow behind the shooters hand Instead of directly above the shooters had at the berger button like the old 2 prong rest originally did. Granted were not cutting are arrows way short any more to cause safety issues but has any one done any research to see if this makes a bow less forgiving.
Just seeing what every one thinks? My thought it would make the bow less forgiving.. I have nothing to back up the issue except that when you toque the bow, The farther away from the grip the arrow is held the more the torque it is amplified on the arrow.
Your input is welcome
God Bless,
Dustin
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
269 Posts
I would have to agree with you there. It seems as though you would want the rest supporting you arrow even with the crotch of your grip so that any torque on the bow will minimally affect arrow flight. That being said I recently switched from using a trap door rest to a QAD. The trap door supported the arrow closer to the grip and the QAD is more of an over draw. I haven't noticed an accuracy difference.

· Registered
224 Posts
I tend to agree with you. Compared to the "old days" now with the dropaways, the arrow is on the rest for less time and less distance. Thus, the vice of the overdraw may be canceled to some extent.

· Registered
3,878 Posts
I've had setups shoot real good when the point of the arrow is over the wrist joint with a low wrist hand postion on the bow. Does it really matter if you perform the same shot with decent form every time?

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your right, if you do it the same everytime who cares? Just thinking about others different views...
God Bless,
Dustin Drews

· Banned
138 Posts
I might be old school but you can keep your drop away rests..'

MY old school never fail shoot thru TM hunter style rests shoot as good as possible...I have also had great success with the bodoodle rest...I can take or leave the whisker Biscuit..

But to me you can outlaw the drop away's along with the expandable broadhead..

I know i am harsh...But i also drop deer every year without all the worries and the problems of these new day gadgets..

· Banned
3,222 Posts
technically,anything drawn past the front of the arrow shelf is overdraw.No,I dont believe its the same as having an extended arrowshelf attatchment or part of the riser itself is history thanks to carbons.
With my TT , I can get the frontend of the arrow drawn almost to the back of the arrowshelf. you really need an overdraw to draw beyond that point and if your arrow is more than 1.25" shorter than your draw,you could say thats overdraw? Most any overdraw set up will allow to shoot arrows at least 2" shorter than your draw and you wont see to many of them anymore.

· Registered
34,530 Posts
It seems line we are going back to the 90s when over draws were popular. If you look at all the new style rest on the market I.E The biscuit, most drop aways, and especially the muzzy zero effect. The rest is holding the arrow behind the shooters hand Instead of directly above the shooters had at the berger button like the old 2 prong rest originally did. Granted were not cutting are arrows way short any more to cause safety issues but has any one done any research to see if this makes a bow less forgiving.
Just seeing what every one thinks? My thought it would make the bow less forgiving.. I have nothing to back up the issue except that when you toque the bow, The farther away from the grip the arrow is held the more the torque it is amplified on the arrow.
Your input is welcome
God Bless,
Dustin
It can actually make your setup MORE forgiving if done correctly.....just ask JesseB and TheShooter. :wink:

· Registered
9,514 Posts
The reason I shot a overdraw back in the 80's:embara: was to use a shorter arrow which ment it was faster, and shoot flatter. We didn't have release aids we shoot shooting finger's so the draw length was longer, nowaday's with release's you can shoot a shorter draw length, and your right about the Muzzy ZE, I shoot them on my Mathew's and my draw is a 28" but my arrow's are 27.25". Which put's the broadhead right over my shelf/hand, so I'd agree that when you look at today's rest allot of them have you shooting a tad shorter arrrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.