Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still new to bowhunting, I dont understand the terrm like "80% letoff"?? thank you

GANoles09

·
Banned
3,216 Posts
if a compound bow is 60 pounds and has 75% let off the holding weight once the bow is at full draw should be 15 pounds. this is why they are COMPOUND bows. thats what the wheels or cams do.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
More succintly put, "let off" is the percentage the draw weight is reduced when you're at full draw.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
I'm still new to bowhunting, I dont understand the terrm like "80% letoff"?? thank you

GANoles09
it basically means your holding 20% percent of the draw weight at full draw.... for example....a draw weight of 60lbs with 80% letoff means your holding a weight of 12 lbs at full draw...the lower the letoff the more holding weight the higher the letoff the less holding weight....this plays a huge part in holding steady.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It seems the higher your letoff % the easier it is to hold. Does a person give anything up (speed, energy, etc.) by using a bow's highest letoff versus its lowest... say 80% instead of 65%?

·
Registered
311 Posts
The disadvantage to a high (over 75%) let-off cam is a small reduction in arrow velocity vs. a lower let-off cam system. All other things being equal, a bow with 65% let-off will shoot faster than a bow with 80% let-off. However, the difference in speed is usually only a few fps.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Something I just posted on another thread.

"All things being equal" yes, but you shorten the draw length by just moving pegs, no, you lose speed. You also lose any valley you might have had.

However a cam designed to be at 70% letoff at the same draw, yes would be faster.

The main point is more holding weight means more accuracy, because you're pulling back harder and therefore pulling the bow straighter in your bow-hand, making up for any torque that may be there, so it's more forgiving. It def. makes a difference. Adding 10 lbs of holding weight is probably the same as adding an inch of BH, but actually increases speed a little. Tradeoff is when hunting you can't hold it as long before you give out.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Something I just posted on another thread.

"All things being equal" yes, but you shorten the draw length by just moving pegs, no, you lose speed. You also lose any valley you might have had.

However a cam designed to be at 70% letoff at the same draw, yes would be faster.

The main point is more holding weight means more accuracy, because you're pulling back harder and therefore pulling the bow straighter in your bow-hand, making up for any torque that may be there, so it's more forgiving. It def. makes a difference. Adding 10 lbs of holding weight is probably the same as adding an inch of BH, but actually increases speed a little. Tradeoff is when hunting you can't hold it as long before you give out.
So, a lower let off is better for target shooting ?

·
Registered
544 Posts
So, a lower let off is better for target shooting ?
Generally speaking, yes. However target bows are usually lower poundage to begin with, so they can be less let-off while still being higher % of the draw weight.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Most pro Hoyt shooters prefere the Spiral Cams because they have 65% let off with a solid wall. 65% let off does not allow as much movement of the bow during the shot that 75% or 80% allows. Hunters prefere higher letoff, because animals are unpredicable and sometimes a hunter needs to hold his bow a long time before the perfect shot presents itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So if you have a higher percentage let off does that make the actual draw weight harder to pull? I recently pulled a 70lb bow with 85% and it was much harder than a 60lb with 75% and harder than my 70lb with 80%. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm pretty sure higher let offs require more aggressive cams so that's probably the reason why.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
So if you have a higher percentage let off does that make the actual draw weight harder to pull? I recently pulled a 70lb bow with 85% and it was much harder than a 60lb with 75% and harder than my 70lb with 80%. Just curious.

Unless all three were the same model bow with the same cams then it's not an apples to apples comparison.

I have a bow I can change between 65% and 80% letoff and I don't notice a difference in the draw right up to the drop into the valley. Once I hit the back wall I feel the difference as one wants to take off a little more than the other.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You are correct in your finding. Let off % makes a difference in the feel of draw because of how's it dumps or drops into the valley when the cams are breaking or rolling over. Newer bows are getting better. I don't like to feel a huge drop into my valley. Some do , some don't know the difference. But you are correct in your thinking. Even with same bows same setup. From 65% to 85% would be a big difference in draw weight feel. It's the draw force curve.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts