Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Mathews Vertix, CBE Sight, Trophy Taker Rest, B Stinger Stabilizer, Gold Tip Arrows, Carter Release
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting here reading a bow test in the current issue of BowHunting World by Norb Mullaney and thought, "this guy has been testing bows for how many years with endless resources and with such a knowledge of how a bow works (blah, blah, blah...), I wonder what brand he feels performs the best"? So what's he shooting? (I'm pretty bored, huh)? :D :p

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Chase-

For quite a while he was shooting the Darton Maverick w/ CPS cam. I've seen pics of him from his Africa trip with game taken and the Darton laying there.... I know in last year's review of the Darton Rampage he was quite glowing about it, so I wonder if he kept one for himself?

He has been a big fan of the CPS system for a long time with its energy storing abilities combined with smooth draw.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
Which means he's probably jumped up to the cam + 1/2 right?

Just kidding. No Idea.

If I knew that darton had this out years ago I'd probably be shooting it now.

Guess it's all about the Marketing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ditto on the Darton Maverick C/P/S. I believe he only shoots about 50# and therefore wants the maximum efficiency bow for the poundage.

·
Registered
97 Posts
shot the 04' Maverick today and was very impressed with the speeds, every time i blew one threw the chrono it kept saying "duplicate" it seems to be very consistent in that category. vibration was minimal with very little felt recoil, slight jump forward but that to be expected from a speed bow and especially one with recurve limbs......TEC

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been to Norbs house a couple of times. He loves Bill Stewart and Jim Ploen's 21st Century. At the time his favorite compound was Darton:)

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
WOW

Dartons technology is nothing new. Even their low end is a fast smoth bow. Wonder why he does not shoot a Matthews?

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
What he shoots.

I believe Norb Mulaney just shoots whatever bow he has recieved in the mail to test.

A little off the subject, and this will probably raise some tempers but: Norb Mulaney signed an affidavit witnessing Mathews testing of the Hoyt Cybertec. This testing basicaly labled the Hoyt as junk. Right after mathews sent out the documentation of their "research" and the said affidavit to all their dealers, Norb ran a test on the Cybertec in the bowhunting rag he works for,(I forget what the actual name of the mag is) and came to the conclusion that the Hoyt is a great bow. The Cybertec had no timing issues, no nock travel issues and would be a great all purpose 3d/hunting bow. Completely the opposite opinion of what Mr. Mullaney claims he witnessed at the Mathew's testing. What is up with that.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Everytime I've seen him over the last few years he's been shooting with the Darton CPS system. He really talked up the system. I've always liked the CPS but never a Darton/or Darton dealer fan in my area.

I really wanted a ?Cyclone? when it came out.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Q2Death- No, he tests whatever bow he's received in the mail.

We are talking about his personal shooting bow. The one he uses for hunting, etc..... He does not constantly swap his primary shooting/hunting bow every time a new one arrives for evaluation.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Black frog

I know what you're talking about. I read the post. The question was "I wonder what he shoots"? Whatever he gets in the mail was just my answer and opinion. Several have responded that he shoots Darton for his personal rig. These people obviously know more about the guy than I do. However, I have read numerous bow reports where the tester says he is going to take the bow he's testing into the field. That is how I based my answer. Me personally, if I was getting all kinds of bows in the mail to test, time permitting, I would take 'em hunting or to 3d's and abuse 'em a little bit. That is a real test. An "evaluation" isn't worth all that much. Again, my opinion. In the future I will elaborate so that you can understand what I am saying.

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
Truth

I do bow testing for web sites. The chrono tels me what the bow is doing. I also tell what is on the bow.....accessories, rest, tab, arrrows etc. The chrono does not lie. The facts of bows people want and right now SPEED is in. Emery Loiselle does a great job also. What Emery or Norb shoot is personal and does not advocate what others should shoot.
Also where is this authentication that Norb signed. No archery Trade magazine said that he did. In fact one trade magazine editor was there to witness the testing and he never mentioned that Norb was there. He never eluded to another independent tester was there. If there was another INDEPENDENT SOURCE THERE WHY DID MATTHEW NOT SAY THIS. THEY NEVER DID.
THE OTHER THING THAT i WITNESSED WAS THAT WITH THE CAM WAY OUT OF TUNE(ONE SIDE LONG THE OTHER SIDE SHORT) THE HOYT DID NOT LOOK LIKE THE AD.....THAT IS A FACT ANY HOYT DEALER CAN PROVE.....AND STILL SITTING IN THAT POSITION THE BOW CAN SHOOT WELL.
ALSO NO EVALUATOR IS GOIMG TO TEAR A BOW APART(NO MATTER WHAT BRAND) THAT WOULD BE WRITERS SUICIDE. bUT THEY WILL TELL YOU THE FACTS THEY FIND AND LEAVE IT AT THAT. THEN YOU CAN CHECK IT OUT YOURSELF..

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Still lusting after a Cyclone after 2 years :). I'm an old Darton fan :) Have a '96 Impulse that's filled the freezer many times and now my Maverick's doin' it for me too. Best dang cam system on the market. The only compound system that has EVER improved on the 2 cam.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
toxo please.

Ahhh, I don't know why I let myself get sucked into these things but here is the REAL truth. Not what I have made up, or been told, but have actually seen. Norb Mulaney was there. As I stated, this did not come from a trade magazine. Mathews sent out a video and a booklet explaining the test that Mathews did on the Cybertec. The booklet and video had results of the test, reasons why Mathews is better, and reasons why Hoyt is inferior, as well as some bs from Dave Watson. In the booklet there is a copy of a signed affidavit, or affidavid, however you spell it. It was signed by Norb Mullaney stating that he was there and witnessed the testing. Simple as that. Have you seen the resourses I'm talking about? If not, I'm sure your local Mathews dealer has em and will be glad to let you look at them. Fact is, MATHEWS DID SAY IT, HE WAS THERE! I can use the caps lock too buddy.

Secondly, you're right. The chrono does not lie. But my point is, the true test of a bow, does not come from a chrono and from "competition" as one manufacterer claims. Who was it that said that? Or from being shot repeatedly under controlled conditions. It comes from being out in the woods for two weeks, getting banged on trees, accidentally dropped, possibly being used to break a hunters fall, and then, in the moment of truth, still being able to deliver an arrow as accurately as the day it came out of the box. Why don't some of these testers use these bows out in the woods and deliver some long term testing results determined under adverse conditions?

It is my opinion that if a respected writer and tester was to approach companies with this type of testing in mind,we as consumers,would get a much greater perspective on the bow. This type of testing would also quickly separate the men from the boys, so to speak. As I am sure that not all companies would agree to this.

In the long run, it really makes no difference. I don't care what kind of bow anyone shoots. It does'nt affect my shooting or hunting. I just think if we are going to post something as fact, we need to be a little more accurate in what we are saying. I also think that alot of people on this board need to open a can of chill out and not get so defensive. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: . There how is that, there's a few of the little faces you guys like so much. One of em probably looks alot like you.:D

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Q2, just out of interest I went to the Matthews site today and down loaded the reality check advert. It claims that they have a signed affadavit from Norb Mullaney and to go look at attached. Well I looked at the attached affadavit and it's NOT signed! So he may have been there, then again he may not have. All I know is the affadavit that Matthews is putting forth is NOT signed and therefore in my layman's opinion is NOT valid.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
russ

let me get this straight. Mathews claims to have a signed affidavit saying norb mullaney witnessed the testing, yet can not produce the proof? I don't get it. All things considered it doesn't matter if he was there or not. What does matter is the fact that I was correct in stating that Mathews did in fact SAY he was there.:D I wonder why it is so important to Mathews to claim Mr. Mullaney was there? Is the mention of Norb Mullaney going to make people who read the booklet say, "Oh, if ol Norb was there, they must be telling the truth."? I am not going to do any Mathews bashing. I have already seen how that turns out, even when done in jest. However, I think the company owes it to it's faithful to just make bows, and not worry so much about the competition.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Hey, I ain't sayin' that Mathews doesn't have an affadavit, they do - it's just not signed!

·
Registered
212 Posts
man you guys need to get a LIFE !!!!!! LOL :D I think that Norb was in the video that Mathews sent to the shops afer this ad started, as far as it not being signed ??? maybe that is how Norb signs things ( printing ) we weren't there so WE can't say weather he signed ( printed ) it or not, does it matter ?????????/ NO, isn't this HORSE DEAD YET ??????????:D

·
Registered
Mathews Vertix, CBE Sight, Trophy Taker Rest, B Stinger Stabilizer, Gold Tip Arrows, Carter Release
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got it...While traveling through Sparta Wisconsin, Norb Mullaney needed to use the restroom and decided to stop at Mathews. It just so happened at the time of using the restroom Mathews was running their tests for level nock travel involving the Hoyt CyberTec Cam 1/2. Now you see everyone's right, Norb technically was there (using the restroom) and no the affidavit was never signed because of this. :D :p :D :p

Sorry guys I had to. :D

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
No the horse ain't dead :) Thank god, it'd get too stinky 'round here if'n it were :) Don't know much but, last I heard printing wasn't valid for a signature.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts