Archery Talk Forum banner

What equipment improved your accuracy?

3282 Views 53 Replies 47 Participants Last post by  BillyRay
Hi everyone. I am a beginner in target shooting.

I know that the persons skills will ultimately determing accuracy but I was just curious what types of equipment, whether its the sight, arrows, brace height, etc, that helps in being a little more accurate?

Just try to gain an understanding of what peices of equipment I should consider upgrading when I hit the accuracy plateau.

Heres what I ordered as my first target shooting bow:

2008 DIAMOND BLACK ICE

IBO SPEED: 318 FPS
A2A LENGTH: 32" (i know longer A2A is preferred for target but not within my budget)
BRACE HEIGHT: 7.5"
DRAW WEIGHTS: 50-70#
DRAW LENGTHS: 26-30"
BOW MASS: 3.6 LBS.
ECCENTRICS: SINGLE CAM
LET-OFF: 65-80%

ARROW REST CHOICE: Hostage by Bowtech
SIGHT CHOICE: Viper Eliminator 3-Pin F/O in Camo
STABILIZER: Hi-Tek 4" in Realtree Hardwoods
RELEASE: Tru-Fire Patriot Caliper
PEEP SIGHT: Jim Fletcher Tru-Peep
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Banned
3,222 Posts
taking the same brand of bows and going to longer a2a and more brace height models.
For target, a 33" beiter stabilizer. Playing with the sliding tuners until I really got it the way i liked it in terms of balance. i never got a target stab exactly the way i wanted until then.The beiter is great for nearly an infinite amount of balance adjustment.
a modified carter ember I ,playing with this lil sweetheart I discovered 2 finger, at least for me is best. with less hand on the release, fewer fingers that might move during the release phase of the shot.

TT small launcher drop away

3 mistakes corrected
getting off blazers and going back to duravanes

getting off xcutters and going to beman 9.3 400's for 3D and converting those bemans to g nock bushings.
getting off S22's to ACC for target( not to dis GT too much,i still use GT 7595 for hunting)

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would it be safe to assume any rest that doesnt make contact with the fletching is better in terms of accuracy? Is it really noticeable difference?

· Registered
630 Posts
Get a B stinger Stabilizer do a search and you will see there is realy no other choice

Get a limbdriver, or a bododdle dropaway. Or go with a TT spring steel launcher. Get rid of that hostage rest

Get a adjustable peep sight The super peep comes to mind

this is what improved my shooting at all distances indoors and out!

· Independent Joe
5,224 Posts
Hi everyone. I am a beginner in target shooting.

I know that the persons skills will ultimately determing accuracy but I was just curious what types of equipment, whether its the sight, arrows, brace height, etc, that helps in being a little more accurate?

Just try to gain an understanding of what peices of equipment I should consider upgrading when I hit the accuracy plateau.

Heres what I ordered as my first target shooting bow:

2008 DIAMOND BLACK ICE

IBO SPEED: 318 FPS
A2A LENGTH: 32" (i know longer A2A is preferred for target but not within my budget)
BRACE HEIGHT: 7.5"
DRAW WEIGHTS: 50-70#
DRAW LENGTHS: 26-30"
BOW MASS: 3.6 LBS.
ECCENTRICS: SINGLE CAM
LET-OFF: 65-80%

ARROW REST CHOICE: Hostage by Bowtech
SIGHT CHOICE: Viper Eliminator 3-Pin F/O in Camo
STABILIZER: Hi-Tek 4" in Realtree Hardwoods
RELEASE: Tru-Fire Patriot Caliper
PEEP SIGHT: Jim Fletcher Tru-Peep
What is your definition of "Target Shooting"? Is it 3-D, Indoors, NFAA....etc?

To start with a 32" AtoA bow is not typically a good choice for target shooting. Most target shooters prefer a longer say 37" and up.

The hostage rest is ok. Once again most prefer a lizard tongue, like a trophy taker or a fall away.

A longer stabilizer. If you are staying with pins then it is limited to 12" in length for NFAA. I suggest a Genesis 5 star, no matter what length you choose. They are very tunable.

If staying with a pin sight you should get one with 5 pins. Staying with a .019 fiber

Everything is relative to what feels comfortable to you. Speaking from personal experience I have gone through thousands of dollars of equipment finding the "perfect" set up. After 9 years I am getting close. :wink:

Good luck

· Banned
3,222 Posts
a B is a good hunter class stab,gives as much stabilization a 12" unit can, but if your looking to do target, you will be better off with a longer model. A Beiter, cartel balkan, doinker multi rod allows almost infinite balance adjustability to get most any bow and shooter stabilized optimally.

· Registered
15,839 Posts
Really it depends on what sort of target shooting you are doing and what restrictions are in place. A longer tunable stabilizer like the Beiter or Genesis is one of the best investments in accuracy.

A back tension release sure helps and is worth the time learing back tension. There are a lot of varities and I would perhaps start out with practicing with one on a release rope, don't try to shoot an arrow until you are confortable with how they work and how you are suppose to shoot them. A safety is a good idea at first, but latter you will not like it as well.

Certainly sights and magnification help. But, besides class restrictions over magnifications seems to be the big problem people get into.

The number one thing which has helped me is Bernie Pellerite's book "Idiot Proof Archery". There is quite a bit of BS in it, but his methods are very good.

· Registered
2,754 Posts
For me I would have to say gaining enough knowledge to do my own work. Having a bow setup correctly is a big deal.

I think small pins and small peeps make a big difference. I want to believe changing rest helped but have nothing to support that other than gut feel. What I do know is I'm shooting my Martin bow better than any bow I've shot in the last 25 years. I contribute the bows success to the grip, smooth MPro cam, the modules and draw stop. The bearings in the cams play a part in repeatability too.

I guess it goes back to gaining enough knowledge and understanding of the technologies to make the right choices and pick good equipment. For me is was as Martin, HHA, G5 3/16 peep, QAD, Carbon Express, and shooting time.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.