Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I am to the point of doing all the work on my bow myself yet but I hope to be able to someday. As I get the funds, I am trying to acquire "archery shop" equipment. I have a press, bow vise, bow scale, wrenches, most of the beginner stuff (I think).

Which direction should I head next? Arrow building equipment or String making stuff? What all equipment do I need for each?

Registered
I went through the same process early last year. After the bow press my next two purchases were a fletching jig and arrow saw. Other than being able work on the bow with a press I would have to say of all of the equipment I've acquired being able to fletch, or experiment with different fletching, has been the most valuable to me. The arrow saw has come in handy to experiment with various lengths, but that could be done by a shop if you'd want to wait on the saw.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I am leaning towards the Arrow Building Stuff. I feel like I would build arrows slightly more often than Strings. I could be wrong though. I guess that's why I am looking for advice...LOL

Registered
Agree, you MUST have a draw board (you can build one for $40), keep and eye out for a used Bitz fletching jig too.

She's baaaaack!!!!
1. You should be building and repairing all your own arrows. That is one thing that pays for itself fairly quickly because you can buy discounted new bare shafts or pick up good deals on new/used on AT and rebuild them. You can do friends and family arrows VERY effectively without much practice. Get a Bitzenberger and the Zenith upgrade from 60X.

2. Draw board. Used effectively you can make small changes in cam rotation, timing and draw length. You can learn a lot about bow tuning and what works for you and a bow. By using the same draw board ALL the time to take measurements you will be more consistent with your set up. Just remember a draw board isn't exactly like an archer drawing and anchoring.

- With all the the very good string and cable builders out there and the cost a full blown string building system isn't necessarily a good idea. Material isn't cheap and it takes time to build a good set if you don't do it regularly. I built stuff for myself and father for a couple of years but stopped. However, s simple "stretcher" set up so you can reserve stuff is a good idea. Center serving slipping, separating or not being the "perfect" size for a particular nock can be easily fixed with minimal equipment or expertise.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I teach at a high school. One of my students (fellow Archer) has taken on the project of building me a bow press with a vertical drawboard combo. hoping to have it in a few weeks. 30 minutes a day isnt much time to get stuff done on a project.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
1. You should be building and repairing all your own arrows. That is one thing that pays for itself fairly quickly because you can buy discounted new bare shafts or pick up good deals on new/used on AT and rebuild them. You can do friends and family arrows VERY effectively without much practice. Get a Bitzenberger and the Zenith upgrade from 60X.

2. Draw board. Used effectively you can make small changes in cam rotation, timing and draw length. You can learn a lot about bow tuning and what works for you and a bow. By using the same draw board ALL the time to take measurements you will be more consistent with your set up. Just remember a draw board isn't exactly like an archer drawing and anchoring.

- With all the the very good string and cable builders out there and the cost a full blown string building system isn't necessarily a good idea. Material isn't cheap and it takes time to build a good set if you don't do it regularly. I built stuff for myself and father for a couple of years but stopped. However, s simple "stretcher" set up so you can reserve stuff is a good idea. Center serving slipping, separating or not being the "perfect" size for a particular nock can be easily fixed with minimal equipment or expertise.
60X is practically in by backyard. 5 miles away

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Evening bump to hear some of the night time opinions

Registered
The arrow-building equipment has been amazing. I got that before any other equipment and it is one of the best decisions I have made. Being able to customize/test arrow combinations is priceless

Registered
A DIY string jig will cost around $80 for the steel and hardware. Another $100 for a 500+ # scale, good serving tool, and a NW Spinner would get you started. If you decide not to make strings you would still be set for measuring string lengths and re-serving centers. The spinner isn't really necessary for occasional use or the short center servings. Lay out 60+ inches of serving by hand on a string set and you will quickly buy one though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
So as far as fletching equipment goes... Advantages / Disadvantages to Triple tower jig vs. Regular single vane jig

She's baaaaack!!!!
So as far as fletching equipment goes... Advantages / Disadvantages to Triple tower jig vs. Regular single vane jig
I had a half dozen Bitz's at one time but since I've gone to using super glues and accelerator I only have two. One is generally set up for fatter shafts and one for thinner shafts. Using a single jig, super glue and accelerator I fletch arrows about as fast as I can move. If I try to use more than one jig I spend more time trying to get them all set the same than I do fletching with one jig.

A Bitz jig with the Zenith upgrade can be used to fletch any diameter shaft in a wide array of offset, straight or helical. You can use tiny 1" vanes or 5" feathers and be sure they will be come out right. I fletch a variety of arrow diameters and fletching so the Bitz with the Zenith upgrade is the right choice for me.

Come on October!!!!
Build a nice storable paper tuning rack/stand/frame. I spend more time trying to find stuff to jury rig something than just about anything else. Even if you bareshaft tune its nice to have to verify nock point height or point out cam sync issues (as will a drawboard). Note to self, build one this winter.....

Hunter of many things
I am leaning towards the Arrow Building Stuff. I feel like I would build arrows slightly more often than Strings. I could be wrong though. I guess that's why I am looking for advice...LOL
Agree. Build arrows over strings. Get a bitz, an arrow saw and a spinner.

Sent using Tapatalk

Registered
draw board and arrow building equipment! you'll acquire smaller things as you go. like levels, serving tool and material, alcohol burner if you hot glue. acetone and denatured alcohol.etc. I have a LCA Vane Master Pro fletching jig that I love but it's very pricy. I have a Jo Jan 6 arrow fletcher and a Bitzenburger that I'm probably going to sell if you are interested. and a couple others as well. good luck!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Where would a chronograph fit in to the order of equipment purchases?

Registered
I would say a draw board is a must have. I've had arrow building stuff for years now but last year instead of buying a new bow I bought a press and made a draw board and string making stuff the works. In the end I maybe dropped 700 bucks, got a lot of unistrut and hardware from work, but it was well worth the investment. this spring i bought the new bow and first thing i did was rip factory strings off and replaced with my own.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts