Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
very quickly
Brace heigght is the distance from the groove of the grip to the string. It determines how long the arrow is on the string during the shot. This is known as power stroke. For the most part, shorter brace heights result in higher speeds due to increased stroke. However, these bows tend to be more critical of form because the arrow is affected by your small movements for a longer period of time.

Final note, desired brace height is realtive to draw length, application, and shooting skills.

I'm sure someone else will add more clarity.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
TCR1 said:
very quickly
Brace heigght is the distance from the groove of the grip to the string.
Groove of the grip?

·
(aka lug nut)
48,352 Posts
TCR1 said:
very quickly
Brace heigght is the distance from the groove of the grip to the string. It determines how long the arrow is on the string during the shot. This is known as power stroke. For the most part, shorter brace heights result in higher speeds due to increased stroke. However, these bows tend to be more critical of form because the arrow is affected by your small movements for a longer period of time.

Final note, desired brace height is realtive to draw length, application, and shooting skills.

Everything TCR1 says.

Item no. 8 is the location where you measure brace height.

Let's say a shooter fits a 30-inch AMO draw length bow.
He shoots two bows side by side.

Bow no. 1 has a 6-inch brace height.
Bow no. 2 has a 8-inch brace height.

AMO draw length = true draw + 1.75 inches.

True draw is the distance from the nock groove when at full draw,
to the pivot point of the grip (deepest part of the curve on the grip).

So, the power stroke for Bow no. 1 = 30-1.75-6 = 22.25 inches.
The power stroke for Bow no. 2 = 30-1.75-8 = 20.25 inches.

The arrow does not leave the string until it returns
to the at rest starting position or very shortly thereafter,
during the rebound when the string travels past the at rest starting string position.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Slippy Field said:
Groove of the grip?
Thats a scientific term you know? Its of the variety where your brain fails you and you cannot come up with the laymans term...it is very similar to thingamajig and whachamacallit...only known by the well versed.

I was thinking of the portion where the web of your hand is when you have a proper grip, but still can't come up with a name...I wear a pink helmet to school.:cry:

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
TCR1 said:
Thats a scientific term you know? Its of the variety where your brain fails you and you cannot come up with the laymans term...it is very similar to thingamajig and whachamacallit...only known by the well versed.

I was thinking of the portion where the web of your hand is when you have a proper grip, but still can't come up with a name...I wear a pink helmet to school.:cry:

GOT YA! :darkbeer:

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
JAVI said:
throat...:mg: pivot point... or .... Thingy...:wink:
What are parts of adult film titles?

I'll take bow anatomy for 200 Javi.

Thanks for the help...again.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
TCR1 said:

Gotta tell ya, I must be having one of those days.. That part about wearing the pink helmet to school just about made me fall out of my chair. I think its time to get some sleep....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts