Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone shoots smaller vanes. I myself am shooting 3 in feathers 354 gr. or 3 in duravanes @ 370 gr with 85 gr ft. I like this set up for 3d but I hog hunt year round and was trying to find info as far as would it help or hurt on 100 or 125 fixed 2 blade to upgrade to larger feathers. I am wanting more ke. and penetration I would still be shy of 400 gr. This is with 29"pse 300's
I guess what arrow set up in your opinions would get me to 425-450 total gr.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Not knowing your complete setup, go to 4"feathers with a 125 head If you have enough spine to do so. With a short brace and some rest, you cannot put the 4" on the arrow without tearing up the fletch.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'd go with either 4" parabolics or 4" shields. And depending on your average shooting distance for hogs, I'd do right helical as well. If you take some longer shots then the helical will drag your arrows down, but if you're 30 yards or closer then the helical would be a big help. Hope this helps!! -Chris

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I know everyone shoots smaller vanes. I myself am shooting 3 in feathers 354 gr. or 3 in duravanes @ 370 gr with 85 gr ft. I like this set up for 3d but I hog hunt year round and was trying to find info as far as would it help or hurt on 100 or 125 fixed 2 blade to upgrade to larger feathers. I am wanting more ke. and penetration I would still be shy of 400 gr. This is with 29"pse 300's
I guess what arrow set up in your opinions would get me to 425-450 total gr.
Larger feathers are going to steer your arrow more and you can apply more helical with as said prior is great for 30 maybe even 40 yard shots.
The drag from the helical and the feathers will be evident around the 40 yard mark.

Feathers are still very light compared to vanes 2" or 4". Blazers weigh approx 6 grains each. A 4 inch feather weighs around 3 grains.

If you are looking for more KE you need more weight in your arrow, and maybe a faster bow to push that heavy arrow.
Most standard carbon arrows are around 8 - 8.5 gn per inch. Some like the CX Terminator Light, the Mayhem and Aramid weigh in the 9 - 9.9 per inch and still others like the Pile Driver, Rhino and other Big Game style arrows weigh 11+ gn per inch.

Get a heavier arrow with a 125 grain tip. GT has weights you can screw into your inserts if you need more weight.

An arrow that weights 9.9 per inch with standard nock and insert(12 grains each), 125 gn head and 3-4" feathers(3-4grains each) should weigh around 445 gns if you have a 29 inch arrow.

Do the math you can come up with an excellent hog killer....Weight is your friend on those tough beasts.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I kinda knew the 4" was the ticket but wanted good opinions. great help guys thank you.. Mostly close inside 30 yards on anything over 100# them shoulder shields get tough after that. shooting 70# with radial 300's. just looking for a hevier arrow with foc around 13% with 2 blade fixed. If I loose a little speed its ok penetration penitration penitration... I dont know how many have done any serious hog hunting but after a shot it aint like going to find a deer sometimes they try to find you with there own set of fixed blades. I am bow hunting cause its getting to hot in fla to run dogs already in the 90's..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts