Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
registered archer
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ld or sd

what are the pros/cons of both i plan on making fiber extensions for my deadnuts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
If you're planning on extending the fibers the LD is the way to go.The LD is at its brightest at lengths over 8" and the SD is brightest at I think around 2" and only get dimmer at longer lengths.I put the LD on my Spot-Hogg using about 8-10" of fiber per pin,and all I can say is WOW!! It made a big difference.

·
Registered
367 Posts
bro2032 said:
If you're planning on extending the fibers the LD is the way to go.The LD is at its brightest at lengths over 8" and the SD is brightest at I think around 2" and only get dimmer at longer lengths.I put the LD on my Spot-Hogg using about 8-10" of fiber per pin,and all I can say is WOW!! It made a big difference.

Ditto for my Spot Hogg!

·
It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
Im not meaning to hi-jack, but does a brighter pin cover up more of the target or make it harder to focus on one spot? Im in the same boat and was gonna get some fitz but thought about this. What great timing. Thanks.

·
Registered
18,077 Posts
wolfman_73 said:
Im not meaning to hi-jack, but does a brighter pin cover up more of the target or make it harder to focus on one spot? Im in the same boat and was gonna get some fitz but thought about this. What great timing. Thanks.
never had that problem

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
wolfman_73 said:
I put .19 fibers in a .29 sight and it worked great.No halo or target cover up at 60 yards.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
bro2032 said:
I just got through doing a mod on another Spot Hogg, and it is nice:)
LD for me:)

·
registered archer
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its solidly bright no fuss like if had a light shinging on it

+ wolfman do you want to split the cost of some fibers?

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
wolfman_73 said:

Maybe not cover the target but for me some of the colors are TOO BRIGHT. That is why I went with blue.

But that being said I am running about 12" of LD fiber on my Hogg It. But that won't be for much longer. I am going to rip them off very shortly :eek: as soon as I get some new pins (I need to replace a couple of turrets and don't use the wrong kind of glue to secure the fibers to the pins) and order some SD fiber. The LD all wrapped around your bow are great, and they look cool and they are super bright....but for hunting the idea sucks. Mine lasted no time. I went hunting for the first time this year last Sat...when I came out of the woods at 10:30 I had 3 broken fibers. They didn't even make it through one day of hunting. I am not going to coddle my bow when hunting. There are going to be times when I have to get on my hands and knees, go through brush, etc, or just walk down the trail and something is gonna snag my bow....and that is when I can see what about in the dark?

So I am going to switch to the SD and just run them the way that Spot Hogg does.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I'm pretty much in agreement with BH. For me the extended fibres were too much of a good thing. I tried the extended fibres on my Hogg-It and have gone back to the standard length using Fitz fibres. I have the Fitz light bracket and four-position light for dim light. I also use the sunshade, more for protection of the back of the pins than anything. My pins are bright enough at the standard length pretty late and not too bright on a bright day, which was a problem for me with the extended fibres. When it's too dark for the pins I want just a little extra glow, which I get from the four-position light. Any brighter and I can't see past the pins very well.

The other reason I went back to a standard length was that no matter how I tried to protect the extended fibres with tubing, they were a little too vulnerable to damage for my taste. The extended fibres always ended up breaking right where they came out of the pin. I think they are weakened by vibration and motion and the damage is cummulative. I even tried splitting the tubing and sliding it over the pin and "clamping" it with the shade. I didn't think I could trust myself not to break them navigating around the woods in the dark. One branch and... :(

·
It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
RIght on. That pretty much answered my question. Think I will stick with the shorties. Thanks y'all

·
registered archer
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if i only need 2-3 inches of it what would i do with the other 32 inches?

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Save them for the next time you need them. They don't last forever. Or if you are like me and only use one color then you only need to order one piece.

·
Registered
138 Posts
suprised a bit

This is the first post I've seen suggesting that longer fibers on the spot hogg site isn't the best set up.

My fitz fibers are on the way, I hope I have good luck with them, going to try 10 inches per pin.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
jake76 said:
This is the first post I've seen suggesting that longer fibers on the spot hogg site isn't the best set up.

My fitz fibers are on the way, I hope I have good luck with them, going to try 10 inches per pin.

I thought it was a great idea.....until my first trip into the woods on Saturday.

·
registered archer
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ill see if i can buy some smaller pieces unlesss jake wants to sell some

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
jake76 said:
Where's the pro fitz group? I'll check back later, someone is sure to chime in on this subject.

I am all for them....I love the fibers, there isn't another fiber out there that is as brite as they are......but all that fiber coming out of the pins and running along the bow are gonna find trouble eventually.....like mine did.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Are these fibers difficult to install? Thinking about getting the LDs for my Hogg It. No woods for it so hopefully won't have much trouble with them breaking??? What's the cost for 5 .019 pins? Thanks.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
no.1 BigMan said:
Are these fibers difficult to install? Thinking about getting the LDs for my Hogg It. No woods for it so hopefully won't have much trouble with them breaking??? What's the cost for 5 .019 pins? Thanks.

They are very easy to install. A five color pack will cost you $19.99.

http://www.fitzfiber.com/

1 - 20 of 30 Posts