Archery Talk Forum banner

what fletching

539 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  rangerjoey
i am currently shooting a 4" easton vane. i am going to start my own fletchings and wondering what ya'll would suggest as far as vanes and straight or helical. i am shooting 29" arrow with 65#bow. shooting rage 2. also does the red bohning jig do blazers. or should i stay with what i got with 4" vane and staight clamp. thank you
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6,153 Posts
Stay with the 4" fletching. The little blazers do
Ok as long as the arrow stays straight but just not enough fletching there to stabilize a broadhead if it gets a little sideways, Bad shot or wind

· Registered
5,437 Posts
The little blazers do Ok as long as the arrow stays straight but just not enough fletching there to stabilize a broadhead if it gets a little sideways, Bad shot or wind
Blazer's do just fine with broadheads for me, and I'm supposing most of the others that use them.

In all cases for me........plum tickled with them.

· Registered
4,458 Posts
If I have to fletch an arrow(see sig.):wink: It is a Blazer, I personally like fletching them much better over a 4 inch vane. I fletched my dad's with a right helical. Worked very well. Good luck.:darkbeer:

· Registered
1,523 Posts
After initially reading this post I decided to head out to the yard and do a little experiment. I have two bows, a Switchback (60lbs) and a Drenalin (64lbs) shooting Easton Axis Arrows with Muzzy 100 3 blades. I tuned both bows with 2" blazers and have them shooting great at 40 yards. I also have some Axis Arrows set up with 4" Vanes. Both the blazers and 4 inchers are right helical with the same jig.

The 4 inchers shot exactly the same out of both bows at 20 and 30 yards. I don't have 40 yards in my backyard so I couldn't shoot them out that far. Now the small amount of weight added by the 4" vanes may make a difference at 40 yards, but I bet its not much if at all.

So, my recommendation is just like everyone else's, shoot what you feel best with. Watch out with that new jig, making arrows is addicting and before long you'll be like me with many more arrows than you'll ever shoot!

Good luck and enjoy!

Mike

· Archery Addict
10,100 Posts
Yes you can fletch blazers with the Bohning Pro (red) jig. I do it all the time. I have one set up with right helical and one with straight offset. I have fletched 4 inch vanes, blazers and Vanetec HP's (Blazer clones), and Duravane Predators (2"). I simply prefer the shorter vanes like the Blazers/HP's and the Predators. They work great and give a little extra room for my drop away rest. I can't tell much difference with field tips, however, with broadheads I seem to get better flight with the smaller-high profile vanes.

· Trophy Meat Hunter
11,366 Posts
2" Blazers

· have bow-will travel
3,997 Posts
i am currently shooting a 4" easton vane. i am going to start my own fletchings and wondering what ya'll would suggest as far as vanes and straight or helical. i am shooting 29" arrow with 65#bow. shooting rage 2. also does the red bohning jig do blazers. or should i stay with what i got with 4" vane and staight clamp. thank you
Dude you already are using one off the best vanes on the market, they available cheaper buy buying them in the 4" AAE Plastifletch Elite package. Just add as much offset with a straight clamp the shaft will hold and I GAURANTEE you will be happy with the results. If serious about making your own arrows get a BITZ now do not waste money on anything else.

· Registered
9 Posts
I just started fletching my own also. I did my own little field test. I shot 4 inch straight with offset, blazers with offset, and 2 inch duravanes with offset. Blazers gave me the best groups at 40 yards with my arrows so that is what I went with. I shoot carbon express tipped with sonic pro 100s. I also chose the shorter vanes to give better clearance out of my drop away rest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.