Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard several people say that they avoid certain foods during hunting season because they may make them smell more human to the deer. That is they cause your body to give off a different or more noticable scent.
To all those comedians out there I'm not talking about passing gas via re-fried beans. Just looking for some insights.

:cool:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. I stay away from coffee just so I dont have to go all day.
:cool:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Red meat is known to make you 'pungent' so I avoid it about a week prior to the season opener and don't eat any during the season. Although I think a little in moderation might not hurt. Same goes for coffee, alcohol.

As far as a scent suppressant you may consider going to a healthfood store and buying Chlorophyl. It is fantastic as a scent inhibitor. Take a couple/day starting a week before your hunt.

FWIW, there's my .02. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
well being italian i try and avoid garlic and i also try and avoid onions , it doesn't always work out though cause i love garlic , i have to use extra scent spray the next day that's all :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Speaking of scents, this one always cracks me up:

Gassing up your vehicle in your hunting camo! Gas is one of the most offensive odors a wild animal can smell. Even if you don't get any visibly on your clothes or person, the scent will stay w/ you for hours!

Ran into a couple guys the other day at the fuel pump. Had to gas up quick before their elk hunt. Saw them again the next day and asked how they did. "Could hear em all over the place, but couldn't get close to them....go figure." Go figure indeed! ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Speaking of gas, stay away from the baked beans or anything that causes bad smelling gas. That is just about anything in some peoples case.

·
Registered
35 Posts
unless you are hunting on the other side of a bedding area from me. Then it will be fine.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
My big decision of what food to stay away from is only the food that I feel will make my crap in the woods. Other than that, I personally don't worry about it. I do try to stay away from garlic and onions, but don't make a point of it.

I firmly believe that the biggest problem in scent is body order and sweat. I have seen people smoking in their deer stands and bear stands and some have even shot animals with cigarettes in their mouths. I have friends that pump gas in their hunting clothes and go out hunting and are very successful. :confused: I don't suggest it, but it doesn't seem to bother them.

Prevent as much body oder on yourself and I don't think it matters what food you eat. I am very particular about scent contamination on my hunting gear and clothes. When it comes to eating...almost anything goes.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I totally agree with crusher!!!!! But then again Melagris thinks I am a poacher so I guess it don't matter what I eat ..HUH???

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
Right before I go hunt'n, I bathe in deer blood while chewing rut stained tarsal glands. I eat a raw venison steak for breakfast, then brush my teeth with CWD infected urine. Finally, I floss with spinal cords. I avoid nothin.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I eat and drink what ever I want. I've come to the conclusion that scent suppression technology is nothing but a bunch of horse manure.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree with Russ. That is why God made "Down Wind."

If a deer's nose is anything like the snoze on my horses, you can't hide from them.

My horses, in virtually no breeze what-so-ever, can wind another animal over 400 hundred yards away.

You can't hide from noses like that. You just stay down wind from them or hope they don't give a crap that they just smelled humanoid.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Garlic was mentioned earlier and it does come out through your pores and can be smelled by humans, so you know the critters can smell it.

Gasoline is another bad one to avoid.

However, I agree with russ and Polarbear....stay downwind. :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

1 - 20 of 24 Posts