Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bowhunting deer for several decades, decided to give the turkey thing a try this spring. I'm hooked! Even though they're kicking my butt and driving me nutso mad!

I have been watching one tom and six hens for three or four days. I spooked them one day when I shot at the tom, but misjudged the yardage. They continued to roost in the same area after that and land in the same zone each morning. I've seen the same gobbler working through the same area every morning. However, now they are gone, no gobbles to be heard or hens seen in any of the three fields I'm hunting nearby. I'm certain I haven't spooked them. The only thing I can figure is the grass in the field is now 10 inches tall.....do they not like that tall wet grass? Should I stick with it or finish off the season in some other place like a plowed corn field with more dirt? Hunting in Iowa.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
give it a few days it'll be rockin again. Toms are givin hens a little time off- I just returned from OH, and had over 20 different hens come into my set over 3days and 2 farms, and only saw 3 jakes and one longbeard the last day. Heard one gobble the first day and that was it. Some of my friends are into hammerin birds in IL, but most I have heard from say the same thing this transisition is a little less intense. Good luck; I say keep on him you've been after him this far so it'll be that much sweeter when he gets thumped!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts