Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
Mathews Vertix, CBE Sight, Hamskea Rest, B Stinger Stabilizer, Gold Tip Arrows, Carter Release
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While shooting today I began thinking about the things that I've done which have really improved my shooting. I would really like to hear what others feel has been the most beneficial to them, perhaps these things can help all of us. Off the top of my head the things that have helped me the most are:

Using a thumb button or hinge style release over a caliper.

Adding weight to the bow through stabilization and most definitely a back bar.

Instructional videos and live archery coverage.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Practice for me. Really enjoy shooting just for fun which has pushed me to be better. Always competing with myself.

·
Registered
765 Posts
While shooting today I began thinking about the things that I've done which have really improved my shooting. I would really like to hear what others feel has been the most beneficial to them, perhaps these things can help all of us. Off the top of my head the things that have helped me the most are:

Using a thumb button or hinge style release over a caliper.

Adding weight to the bow through stabilization and most definitely a back bar.

Instructional videos and live archery coverage.
I'll agree with you on changing to thumb release. I did this early last year, and it has improved my draw form and strength by helping my draw with a high elbow. And my groups are tighter...can't complain.

·
Ice Cold
11,925 Posts
Stop listening to the BS, hype and sales pitches. People overthink and over analyze everything. No replacement for reps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
No doubt, buying a lighter mass bow.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Practicing my release by blank baling for one. But the biggest improvement came when I got my press and learned to fine tune my own equipment. My hold is much steadier with proper draw length.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
By far the #1 thing that has helped me is switching to a thumb release. By itself cured my target panic.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use a shot trainer and shoot anywhere from 20 to 30 good form shots per day focusing on back tension. Hinge and thumb releases help, as did shooting at distance.

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Practice, even at short distances has helped me gain better control of my bow. When i was new, even holding my bow after like 15 shots was tiring, and my accuracy would suffer the longer i shot but as i practiced i got stronger and my window of accurate shots has gotten bigger and bigger.

·
Registered
Jim Beam Apple, Mathews, Jim Beam Apple
2,097 Posts
Gear wise, thumb release. Mechanics wise, getting all the tools needed to tune my own equipment. Form wise, follow through on the shot.

·
Bowhunter
2,090 Posts
i am left eye dominant and right handed, so switching to a left handed bow was probably the biggest thing. After that, practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
138 Posts
For me, working with a knowledgeable coach to get my draw length, grip, and shot execution improved. Also, like others have said, getting my own equipment and learning to do my own bow/arrow building work.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
For me, working with a knowledgeable coach to get my draw length, grip, and shot execution improved. Also, like others have said, getting my own equipment and learning to do my own bow/arrow building work.
Pretty much sums it up for me too

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Carrying over lessons learned from the recurve days. I've been full circle. Compounds from 1985 thru about 2010. Was out there all those old heydays. It was somewhere around 1993 that i got talked out of shooting fingers. Got my first release. A 3 finger thumb trigger. But around 2007 i bought a 05 Bowtech Alligence. I grew to hate that bow. I did kill a nice 8 hunting on the ground, but i still hated it. I ended up with bad bad target panic. Ending up selling All my compounds, cases, releases, everything. Got into recurves. At first, i could not put that together. Took 3 years to finally achieve good consistent results. And much of this can transfer over to compounds.

* Got away from the crowds and shoots. I was being fed wrong information. Too many distractions. I pulled away into my own bubble.

* A dvd called Masters of Barebow edition 3. Specifically Rod Jenkins ( origin of blind bale shooting).

* Just separating everything into A,b,c,d, categories, instead of cramming all shooting elements into one big scrambled bowl ( i do this in all of life's encounters ) comes from the old SOAR study formula in college.

* Traditional Archery has alot of nostalgic tendencies. You must separate nostalgia from true form techniques. Rod Jenkins did this. The crowds , 3d shoots, did the opposite.

* Both eyes Open.

* The Separate steps shown by Rod on the dvd, about drawing, the sub-conscious, completion, proper stance.

* Go out with 2 arrows only. Shoot less, but shoot quality. Make each one count.

* Shoot less. 12 good arrows, 3x week. Go do something else. Put the bow down. Over shooting will ruin you.

* Don't keep a bow you do not like. It will ruin you.

Today my recurve days are about over. Back on compounds.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Getting into completive archery. That got me hanging around really good archer's and learning and watching them on everything from equipment to form to shot execution. Then asking questions, practicing all those things.

Reps are good if they are good reps. Reps without trying to make yourself better is like pissing into the wind. It can be done but the end result is not always the best for you.

·
Registered
19,076 Posts
Shooting at 60 yards for practice will help you to learn to aim better & also make a better shot. Video your self to see what you are doing in your set up
& shot process. Practice ONLY proper shot process, as practicing BAD shot process is just wasting your time as said by pinwheeled! Get a coach if possible.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Practice obviously, but changing from a wrist to a thumb release was an immediate improvement. Helped me to be more consistent which in turn more accurate. Shooting 3d too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 89 Posts