Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
NAASP
14,851 Posts
I haven't bought any main garments for a decade. But GWW Predator camo is one.

So are LW treestands.

But you know. You'll get alot of personal opinions. Once you get enough you can weed through it all.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
5,274 Posts
you ask 2 questions 1. "worth the money" 2. "solid brand"

need to explain that statement

spending 10 bucks on a camo shirt every 2 years or 50bucks on one every 4 years, which is worth the money and which is more solid then the other?

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
the highest quality, well thought out gear for the niche i own is kifaru... everything i have from them is well thought out, and high quality.

rain gear (important here) kuiu is the only rain gear that's worth the money for coastal brush... first lite is a distant second... got the kryptek takur this year, and it was a waste of money... the 2 sets of sitka were too... maybe not bad, but not durable at all.... raingear is all i like from kuiu (and gaiters) but they do it best.

Zamberlan boots... can't say anything bad about them, solid boots with a great warranty, the 4 pair we have are great, holding up better than any other boots i have had over the years.

spot hogg... can't go wrong with anything spot hogg, i shoot their sights and release, nothing but good experience with them.

Hamskea... i think they build the best rest... probably debatable, but mine has been "coast proof" so far, full confidence in it.

clothing in general, i prefer first lite, but that's because they have products i like and lots of solid color options, and their camo patterns aren't annoyingly trendy... all of the high end camo is good, just depends on the articles you need... i NEVER match, have a mix of first lite, sitka, asat, kuiu, and a little kryptek... i usually have solid pants a 3-4 different camo patterns on, haha.

good glass is very much worth the money to me... getting ready to order some swaro nl pures, and my current kowa prominar (which kick ass) will go to my better half.

i wear my kifaru pack the most, but love my EXO too, both are very much worth the money (add stone glacier to that list)

i would say optics are my top pick for "worth the money" followed by packs, followed by boots, followed by clothing... the rest is down the list, and more "luxury items" i would say bows are not worth the money, since they only get a tiny bit better every year and depreciate huge, and i can shoot a 15yr old bow very well... new bows are fun, but they aren't a very good place to spend a budget

·
Registered
591 Posts
Really depends on where and how you hunt.

Lately I have been using my $120 alpz matrix over my mystery ranch that cost 3x as much. Why? For one I love the belt pockets and how my pistol attaches too them. The size is very simlar, only my alps is lighter and I can pull the al rib in the back and it gets even lighter, plus I can roll it for travel.

Which is better? The mystrey ranch no question, it does things the alpz won't, but given the choice for a single day hunt, its the alpz every time. Multi day back country the mr.

Find whats important too you, buy it be happy with it and don't worry what the other guys is wearing.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Clothing:
Kuiu, Sitka, FL, SG, Gulch Gear

Shelter:
Seek Outside, Kifaru

Pack:
Seek Outside, Kifaru, Exo, Kuiu, SG, MR

Boots:
Crispi, Lathrop and Sons, Lows

This list can basically go on for a long time. I'm not going to include an archery brands, I was skeptical of including packs and boots because those are all very personal when it comes to fit and purpose.

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
IMO, almost none of them are "worth the money".

Reactions: arkman

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Vortex basic level stuff is top notch for the money. In my opinion- No one needs high end glass, unless you life or your living depends on it. 1000 dollar binos will give you an extar 5 minutes of light- thats it. Vortex warranty can not be beat.

Badlands! Great gear great warranty. My dog chewed up my 2200 pack. It cant be repaired, so they are sending me a new one!

Savage Rifles- You cant buy a more accurate "factory" rifle at 5 times the price. Tikka rifles are right there with em. Looooove that Tikka trigger

Merino wool. I wont be without it.

Any money spent on a good tree harness and LIFE LINES. Cant beat the saftey and security of knowing Im safe from the ground, up and back down

·
Registered
873 Posts
Just as the title says, in your experience, what brands are worth the money? I'm familiar with Sitka, First Lite, Scentlok...what else do you think is a solid brand?
Don't you know that if it is expensive as hell, and seen on the popular TV shows then it has to be better than the stuff you buy at WalMart.

Personally, there are very few "big name" things that I feel were worth the price when it comes to hunting apparel. About the only thing I've found to outperform the off brand has been under armor heat gear. I'm sure there are other brands that work as well, but I think there is definitely a difference over generic.

And, I would put LW stands (at least the sit and climb) at the top of the "not worth it" list. But not everyones list is the same.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you ask 2 questions 1. "worth the money" 2. "solid brand"

need to explain that statement

spending 10 bucks on a camo shirt every 2 years or 50bucks on one every 4 years, which is worth the money and which is more solid then the other?
i don't mean cheap stuff. i mean gear that is on the expensive side, but is "solid" or worth what you're paying...seems like the rest of the repliers understood what i was asking. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just as the title says, in your experience, what brands are worth the money? I'm familiar with Sitka, First Lite, Scentlok...what else do you think is a solid brand?
Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to open a dedicated archery and hunting shop in my home town...i know i can't compete with walmart and dunhams with the price-range clothing they carry, so i am interested in higher-end brands that people won't find there.

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to open a dedicated archery and hunting shop in my home town...i know i can't compete with walmart and dunhams with the price-range clothing they carry, so i am interested in higher-end brands that people won't find there.
I think trying to carry any amount of clothing is a loser proposition for most shops. I would get the bare minimum of a brand like Gamehide or Hushhide that favors shops. You will NEVER be able to compete with online outlets for variety and price and despite what everyone says on-line, they shop for price instead of going to a local shop. I would focus on other guns and bows and have good, knowledgable people working there that add value to the sale. Good luck!

Reactions: Jackle1886
1 - 20 of 78 Posts