Archery Talk Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
26,078 Posts
There is no “best”. If there was, there wouldn’t be 25 companies making clothing, bows, broadheads etc. need to find what’s “best” for you.
Agreed.....especially when it comes to clothing and footware. I have given up ordering online boot sales without at least trying on the same model somewhere. I have wide feet with a high instep.....sometimes the wide of a particular company fits like a standard fit of another. Keens fit me well....so do Irish Setter wides....but I've tried a few that looked good in my size and even ordered up a half size and they were still cramped or had flex points that were uncomfortable. Living and hunting in west Michigan, I don't need the super durability of top end hikers as someone in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana or Utah who are hiking up rock filled mountain sides on a regular basis.

Same with clothing.....some of it is designed as mountain-ware for active climbing in intense wind, rain and snow. We get all that, but my hikes are typically 1/2 mile +/- to get to a blind or stand.....then it is a matter of sitting still for hours as your core heat wanes. From hunting KS this fall, I relearned the ability of wind to suck heat....even when the temps are not that cold. To that end, I put a set of Scentlok Windbrace on my Christmas list and know my wife ordered them as they are on sale at almost half off. It will serve as an outer layer in warmer temps and a mid-layer on colder windy days. A full set of it is current less than one piece of Sitka or Kuiu or First Lite or whatever. Not bashing the "better" stuff as many who own those brands love it.....good for them.

·
Vendor
26,465 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to open a dedicated archery and hunting shop in my home town...i know i can't compete with walmart and dunhams with the price-range clothing they carry, so i am interested in higher-end brands that people won't find there.
That might be the way to beat the big boys. Probably 9 out of 10 archery shops that open are closed within 5 years. But I have never been in one that only carried the best. If you are in a big city, you might be on to something. Another great product that you will not find in the box stores is Cougar Claw tree stands. It is a great, adjustable while climbing stand that is made in America. Good Luck!

·
Vendor
26,465 Posts
ScentLok, this is where I have probably spent the most money in the last 2 years, given the fact I lost 148# and so I am WAY smaller. Then I get colder so I invested more in their Fortress line that keeps me nice and warm, and they fit well.
Solo I hope your weight loss was intentional. What is your secret? I could stand to lose about 15 pounds.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Is it merino? Every merino I've had rips apart within a year or 2. I've switched to synthetic this year and it holds up way better.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That is often the downfall of Merino wool is lack of durability. But it is amazing stuff and has a lot of benefits over synthetic layers. I personally use both, I like a merino base layer against my skin for the moisture wicking and odor control, then a synthetic fleece type layer over that.

·
wolfey
4,227 Posts
That is often the downfall of Merino wool is lack of durability. But it is amazing stuff and has a lot of benefits over synthetic layers. I personally use both, I like a merino base layer against my skin for the moisture wicking and odor control, then a synthetic fleece type layer over that.
Synthetics wick moisture just as well but do need to be washed more frequently.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
I think heated clothing is the up and coming thing. My Gerbing heated sock liners are by far the best investment in hunting gear I’ve ever made. Offering some heated gear might get peoole in the door. I suspect all the high end hunting clothing companies will have heated stuff very soon .

·
Premium Member
6,473 Posts
Solo I hope your weight loss was intentional. What is your secret? I could stand to lose about 15 pounds.
Yes it was intentional, I had gastric sleeve surgery, where they remove a portion of the stomach. It does reduce the size of the stomach, though the portion they remove contains the cells that produce ghrelin, the hunger hormone, which allows one to feel less hungry and able to feel the satiety, the balance that occurs naturally. Have you spoke to your doctor about your desired weight loss and or a nutritionist? Typically, many people turn to exercise for weight loss, exercise is good for a healthy lifestyle, yet can be counter productive for weight loss. In fact, exercise was not part of my care plan.

·
Vendor
26,465 Posts
Yes it was intentional, I had gastric sleeve surgery, where they remove a portion of the stomach. It does reduce the size of the stomach, though the portion they remove contains the cells that produce ghrelin, the hunger hormone, which allows one to feel less hungry and able to feel the satiety, the balance that occurs naturally. Have you spoke to your doctor about your desired weight loss and or a nutritionist? Typically, many people turn to exercise for weight loss, exercise is good for a healthy lifestyle, yet can be counter productive for weight loss. In fact, exercise was not part of my care plan.
No solo I haven't talked to a doctor about it. Wanting to do something and the willingness to do it are two different things. I could easily lose the 12 pounds if I could just stay away from the refrigerator after supper. lol.
Have a very good friend in the Patroit Guard Riders that just has the gastric surgery done this week. He is bruised up pretty good and sore as heck but he too needs to lose 100+ pounds.

·
Premium Member
6,473 Posts
No solo I haven't talked to a doctor about it. Wanting to do something and the willingness to do it are two different things. I could easily lose the 12 pounds if I could just stay away from the refrigerator after supper. lol.
Have a very good friend in the Patroit Guard Riders that just has the gastric surgery done this week. He is bruised up pretty good and sore as heck but he too needs to lose 100+ pounds.
If I may offer a suggestion, if you have a scale that is accurate (if not get one) strip down completely and weigh yourself to see EXACTLY how much you weigh. The whole point of seeing a doctor/nutritionist is to look at your entire health picture and determine what is a healthy weight for you. I have had friends and patients who have lost 50#s and kept it off by some simple steps. I got a hunting buddy that can't give up the beer, so he remains heavy and is probably heading to a cascade of co-morbidities which I experienced. Hope your friend is on to a new healthy life, did they have the sleeve or the gastric bypass? The "Y" bypass is more extensive and really beats a guy up. Being a RN the two biggest health issues and difficult to address is smoking cessation and weight loss, the weight management group who I used believe that the gastric sleeve will become the FIRST option for weight loss, and perhaps that in the future they may be able to just remove a quarter sized piece of the fundus to reduce the hormone imbalance. Being lighter sure makes putting up stands easier and I don't have to look at the weight limitations anymore, lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
That might be the way to beat the big boys. Probably 9 out of 10 archery shops that open are closed within 5 years. But I have never been in one that only carried the best. If you are in a big city, you might be on to something. Another great product that you will not find in the box stores is Cougar Claw tree stands. It is a great, adjustable while climbing stand that is made in America. Good Luck!
We'll see, i've had a few people tell me that it's useless to carry the good stuff in store because people just get it online. I am also not in a big city, however, everyone in my area has to drive a minimum of 3.5 hours to get anything that's not walmart or dunham's. I'd hope to draw customers from all over the area, not just my town. Just dreamin', ya know?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I told my local archery shop that if they carried sitka or first lite id buy through them. Try to support local and give my business to who takes care of me. Yes its cheaper online but sometimes not as much after you pay shipping.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
ScentLok, this is where I have probably spent the most money in the last 2 years, given the fact I lost 148# and so I am WAY smaller. Then I get colder so I invested more in their Fortress line that keeps me nice and warm, and they fit well.
did i read that right? you lost 148#? if so, that's crazy impressive, and best investment you could make

·
Premium Member
6,473 Posts
did i read that right? you lost 148#? if so, that's crazy impressive, and best investment you could make
Yes, 148 pounds, definitely outside the norm for gastric sleeve surgery, like losing a whole other person. No cake walk, the criteria leading up to the eventual surgery was VERY strict and about seven months long.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Yes, 148 pounds, definitely outside the norm for gastric sleeve surgery, like losing a whole other person. No cake walk, the criteria leading up to the eventual surgery was VERY strict and about seven months long.
that's awesome man!! congrats, that's a huge accomplishment, and i assume a huge improvement in quality of life.... investing in yourself is certainly the most important thing to invest in before any gadgets or gear

·
Premium Member
6,473 Posts
Yes, even more active than before, less meds, one new knee, another coming 1-4, can walk even further to improve enter exit routes on property while hunting. Still eat the same things, just way less, ground venison dishes go down the best.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
SInce most of the Companys that once made their stuff here in the USA Now most no longer do like Cabela's Since the Brothers sold it it has gone way to far as to quality and if you were to Find a Decent Product you might want to purchase a few as these days They Change Often so what You did like is long Gone in a couple years. That is the way of the world Today! Sad. Not made many purchases in the last many years have not Needed Much the last few things years back were Carhartt Base Layers but others have their pick that is different. The only other things I have bought are a few Browning and Stealth High End Trail Cameras but I never pay what most are asking for them I look for the best Price and that is from 130 to 150.00 when they go for 189.99 at many place still even 3 year old models! And I only use SanDisk SD Cards. My Compound Bow is a 1997 model year I picked up in 2003, Arrows I have are10 years since I bought any and now they are available Easton XX75 & 78 2514 but I have 3 Dozen still as I saw Easton looking to drop many sizes but these work best with my set up. As for BH Magnus Stinger 2 Blade 125 also do the job. But have not bought any in 5 years bought several packs then when the price was lower than Now. My Camo is over 10 years old some 25 like my LL Bean Boots long before their stuff was moved to China or other places and lesser Quality. As Quality is not what some are making hey are just in it to Sell anything does not matter where or what the Quality of their Products are but here at AT some are always looking for the LOWEST and then buy what they think is legit to learn they aren't. But Today It is and will be more in Price as everything is going up to cover wages / labor costs, then add in the increase in S&H Etc and Most can't afford the "Custom" Made Stuff so we pay what we Think is the Right Price and Hope It LAST'S!
As for my old stuff like My Bow It Still takes Deer not the "fastest" but It Still does the job. Like the Arrows etc. Sword Sights are good as well but mine is 15 years old Now... I don't need the Newest or what some think is the greatest but that might just be me as I never needed "New" Once you find What Works you Just Go with It At Least for Me!
Just some Observations as these days It is Now Constant CHANGE Not Sure that is a Good Thing but that is what We Got!!!
LFM

61 - 78 of 78 Posts