Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It wasnt registered in your name? I traded a guy a treestand about 10 years ago for a 380 auto pistol and someone has stolen it from my house..I have no clue who's name its registered in...Can I file a police report? should I file a police report? Can I get in trouble for it not being registered? If anyone has any answers I appreciate it...P.S. I have a clue who may have taken it but cant be sure...

·
Registered
711 Posts
File the police report. Private sales of firearms are not required to be registered by the ATF. There maybe a local ordinance (IL comes to mind- FOID), but unlikely.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
It would depend on the laws in OH... in Indiana you can sell a gun privately to anyone you choose... no paperwork or anything. There is no nationwide registry or anything like that... but I'm not sure what OH has though. I know that OH does not recognize the IN concealed carry permits..

I personally would report it... becuase if someone will steal a gun.. who knows what they'll do with it. Even if you get in a little trouble for not having it "registered"... it will be alot less than if you are somehow held responsible for the gun being used in some sort of crime.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Troy

Your pistol is not required to be registered in the great state of Ohio. Thats why you can go to any flea market, gun show, or swap meet and get one. Yes definetely call the Fairfield county Sheriff ASAP. If its used in a robbery or worse and your prints are on it you are screwed. If its filed as stolen from you with your prints on it then you and a lawyer would be ok. If you need a Law enforcement contact in Fairfield county i know a few, PM me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Firearms are not registered to peoples names, When the NICS background check is conducted with your name they only know if its a handgun or long gun.

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
Solocam8 said:
Your pistol is not required to be registered in the great state of Ohio. Thats why you can go to any flea market, gun show, or swap meet and get one. Yes definetely call the Fairfield county Sheriff ASAP. If its used in a robbery or worse and your prints are on it you are screwed. If its filed as stolen from you with your prints on it then you and a lawyer would be ok. If you need a Law enforcement contact to talk to PM me.
man how would you know...you got less than 40 posts :tongue: :tongue:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Stolen pistol

Hi,

In Michigan it would be required to be registered. However, even if it is where you are , you have a duty and obligation to report it stolen. A thief with a gun is even more dangerous. How much grief do you think you will go through if that weapon is used in a crime and they manage to trace it back to you? How much fault would you have if someone was hurt or murdered with that gun? Give the police some help. While the police may not be happy with you they would be a lot more unhappy later if you have to explain anything. Report it and do it soon.

all the best,
john

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The only person that is linked on paper to that gun will be the original purchaser.The yellow ff paperwork you fill out when you buy a gun is kept at the place you purchased it at forever.The gun is also linked to the retailer by where it was shipped to from the factory. When a gun crime is committed, that is where they start, by finding out who originally purchased it. I use to sell firearms for a retail chain and on a few occasions we had ATF personal and local police come to check on original purchasers of certain firearms.After that, they are no longer kept track of when they are second hand.You should report it stolen as mentioned above.Just imagine if it was used in a crime, they tracked down who originally bought it, then who owned it next and so on until they got to you, and you said it was stolen but you never reported it.Do you think they would believe you?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I inherited some guns a few years ago and didn't feel comfortable about some of them. The deceased relative had a few brushes with the law. I was told by the state police that I was not required to register them but they could run the serial #'s to check if any were stolen. They all came out ok, but I did turn 2 over to them that had their serial numbers filed off! I didn't want that to jump up and bite me some day.
The same relative who I got the guns from sold a gun that was involved in a murder some years ago in another state. The police came and kicked in his door in the middle of the night and took him in for questioning since he was the origional purchaser. It pays to know who you're selling guns to!

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Solocam8 said:
Your pistol is not required to be registered in the great state of Ohio. Thats why you can go to any flea market, gun show, or swap meet and get one. Yes definetely call the Fairfield county Sheriff ASAP. If its used in a robbery or worse and your prints are on it you are screwed. If its filed as stolen from you with your prints on it then you and a lawyer would be ok. If you need a Law enforcement contact in Fairfield county i know a few, PM me.
thanks alot dan....i will call them asap and file the report...im pretty sure i know who it could be that took it...we have a personal friend who is in rehab right now for drugs and has admitted to stealing things from his family members to get $$ for drugs... he is a close and personal friend of ours that we have tried to help out in the past and he has stayed at our house alot this past summer...this is my only guess of who it could be... thanks again folks..

·
Banned
42 Posts
That sucks

I know exactly what you are going through Troy, my step brother has included us in his drug addiction by stealing anything that is not bolted down also. Makes you wonder when genuinely very nice people like Troy get things stolen and have to go through this hassle, when trash like my brother are out partying it up without a care or responsible nerve in the world. I guess charma has a funny way of coming full circle eventually. Let me know if old Davey Phalen gives you any grief. I'll pee on his lawn.:wink:

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Solocam8 said:
I know exactly what you are going through Troy, my step brother has included us in his drug addiction by stealing anything that is not bolted down also. Makes you wonder when genuinely very nice people like Troy get things stolen and have to go through this hassle, when trash like my brother are out partying it up without a care or responsible nerve in the world. I guess charma has a funny way of coming full circle eventually. Let me know if old Davey Phalen gives you any grief. I'll pee on his lawn.:wink:
I will keep ya posted!!:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
File the stolen property report. There's a slim chance it'll come back to you if it's pawned or otherwise traded to a firearm's dealer. Also, there is a fair chance it was pawned locally by the guilty party. Firearms are one of the few things that are recovered years later by law enforcement because of the serial number lists.
If you don't report the gun as stolen and it is taken by law enforcement frrom someone incident to arrest, it will likely be destroyed. Otherwise it would be returned to you eventually. Maybe.
I wouldn't be concerned about your door being kicked down because a pistol was stolen from you.
Just as a helpful hint, in the future if you buy or trade for a firearm, you can have local law enforcement run the numbers to determine if it's been reported as stolen. If it is, then you'll simply surrender the property and make a report as to how you acquired it. Also, you'll be entitled to reimbursement by the party that sold it to you. This works as well for anything else with a registration or serial number.
I'm an attorney but not an Ohio attorney so your mileage may vary.
Doug

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ohio, as do most states, does not require the registration of privately sold guns. When I lived in Ohio, I bought and sold many guns privately. Point in case would be The Grand American Trapshoot where people from around the world would gather in Vandalia and sell guns privately in plain view of policemen.

The only state I am aware of that requires mandatory registration is Illinois.....you must register each gun & caliber/guage owned and be issued a FOID card. From that point on if you aren't registered for that particular caliber/guage....you can't purchase ammo for it. Subsequent any sales/purchases must be reported. The only exception came with this year's relocation of the Grand American to Sparta, IL.....the state allowed firearms & ammo sales w/o a FOID or respective reporting of such to attendees.

As for firearms not being registered in people's names......they are in fact registered in a person's name when the "yellow" ATF document is completed and documented in an FFL's logbook. The book requires the gun manufacturer, model, s/n, date received into stock, date sold, and to whom sold. The yellow form is to be submitted to the ATF periodically. This yellow form is the one we all fill out if we purchase any firearm from a legitimate "dealer"- not to be confused with a private party.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Just FYI... the "yellow form" 4473 is no longer yellow.. they made some changes to this year and it is now "white form" 4473.

And the 4473s are never sent to the ATF.. they stay on hand in the store the are purchased for a period of years. The ATF will come in periodically to audit the 4473s to go over them.. mainly ensuring that things are filled out correctly.. and everything is done properly.

When I sell a firearm to a private party.. I will print up a sales contract and have both parties sign it and put all of the buyers contact information. That way if the authorities ever come knocking.. you have the buyers information on hand.

If you want to sell a gun.. some dealers will take the gun into their inventory.. and process the 4473 & background check for you for a charge. But the gun is totally free and clear from the seller at that time.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
drtnshtr said:
...im pretty sure i know who it could be that took it...we have a personal friend who is in rehab right now for drugs and has admitted to stealing things from his family members to get $$ for drugs... he is a close and personal friend of ours that we have tried to help out in the past and he has stayed at our house alot this past summer...this is my only guess of who it could be... thanks again folks..
I think I would keep that dude the hell away from my house after I killed him friend or not.

·
Remember.. Archery is fun
3,323 Posts
Buksknr53 said:
The same relative who I got the guns from sold a gun that was involved in a murder some years ago in another state. The police came and kicked in his door in the middle of the night and took him in for questioning since he was the origional purchaser. It pays to know who you're selling guns to!
I've kept a bill of sale for every gun I have sold.

NIck

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
drtnshtr said:
thanks alot dan....i will call them asap and file the report...im pretty sure i know who it could be that took it...we have a personal friend who is in rehab right now for drugs and has admitted to stealing things from his family members to get $$ for drugs... he is a close and personal friend of ours that we have tried to help out in the past and he has stayed at our house alot this past summer...this is my only guess of who it could be... thanks again folks..
So now you have a potentially armed, desperate "friend" that's willing to disrespect you enough to steal from you.

A. file the report.
B. cut the tie that binds.

If he could go that far...

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
WOW....I really need to get the hell out of California...LOL!!! Out here ALL gun sales, retail or private, have to be registered AND there is a 10 day cooling off period before you can pick them up. Concealed weapons permits have to be approved by your County Sheriff (the big man...not the department) or by your local Police Cheif. Oh...and IF it is approved, it takes about 4 months to get it and costs about $230 because of the LiveScan. The only exception to the transfer rule is family transfers. The ballistic rifling in the barrels of those weapons that have rifling (pistols and rifles...not shotguns here) are connected to the serial number for each weapon. Once the ballistics are figured out, the authorities then go to the dealer that sold the weapon and go from there. In essence, one could just buy a second hand barrel out here, put it in a pistol, and now it is a different gun as far as NCIC goes. Pretty pathetic, huh?

Definitely report the gun stolen, ESPECIALLY if it is not required to be registered in your state. Keeps your name out of the mix in the event of something horrible happening.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts