Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for some of you who are not as new to target archery as I am and are in to tuning. My friend and I are having a friendly discussion (which usually turn into arguments...none of my doing :angel: ) about what a balanced bow is.

I use a side rod to offset for my target sight I use on my bow. But my question is this. He says he saw a video that says if you hang your bow, it should hang level. I've heard that you should use a long stabilzer with as much weight on it as you can comfortably handle. In this situation, if I hold the bow in my hand like I'm shooting, without gripping it, it will fall forward due to the wieght of the stabilizer and extended sight.

Is this normal, or should it stay level up and down and left to right in my hand with no tension on the string?

Just looking for help here.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Assuming you are using a common or even some type of target launch rest, it is preferable to have the bow stay level when you shoot. But then it's also preferable that NO hand torque be involved as this usually causes sideways movement---and virtually nobody can achieve "NO TORQUE". So in this case, to minimize any rest issues, most prefer to have the bow rock forward to some degree to achieve better rest clearance. How much is up to the shooter.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bfisher said:
Assuming you are using a common or even some type of target launch rest, it is preferable to have the bow stay level when you shoot. But then it's also preferable that NO hand torque be involved as this usually causes sideways movement---and virtually nobody can achieve "NO TORQUE". So in this case, to minimize any rest issues, most prefer to have the bow rock forward to some degree to achieve better rest clearance. How much is up to the shooter.
How would one even get a bow to that point given the front extended sight and longer stabilizers? Wouldn't you have to use some pretty heavy counter weights on the back of the bow?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts