Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me it’s always been like a Magnus. No chisel tips or anything like that. Am I off base on my thinking. Cut means cutting not punching through.

Just curious

·
The Impartial Archer
18,805 Posts
Too me it's sharpened edges that meet to form a point. I had a LONG argument here with a manufacturer that thought otherwise...…..Just a point that doesn't have a edge on it and the edges aren't sharpened isn't cutting so I can't see it being coc. If so a sharpened pencil would be a coc……...lol

·
The Impartial Archer
18,805 Posts
PS in the old days we called them bullet points, chisel points and coc…...IMHO that still about covers the options.

·
Vendor
25,446 Posts
In general, Cut on contact blades are easier to get through hide. But then again, I've never seen or heard of any broadhead not making it through hide. Where most generally fail is splitting heavy bone. That is the reason for the Iron will, Steelforce, grizzleystik etc. They generally use a much thicker blade with A2 or D2 steel which holds up much better and the single bevel does split better than a normal cut on contact blade.:secret:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Well you won that argument. A Muzzy with the point then blades is exactly what it is a chisel point to break bone than the cutting razors come next. Magnus sharpened edge from point to end = cut on contact.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PS in the old days we called them bullet points, chisel points and coc…...IMHO that still about covers the options.
that is my thinking also.

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
Marty with graphics.....for the win! I shot and hunted with trad gear for over 30 years and pretty much everything in that realm of bowhunting was C-O-C. The main blade was a sharpened edge that tapered to a point. Fred Bear advocated rounding the tip of his famous Bear Razorheads with a bit of file work....from a "needle point" to more of a "chisel point" for better performance on bone. That is the origin of those terms as far as I know.....they go back to the 1970's or even earlier.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Marty hit it right on the head. I've been in the game for a long time but don't really follow the newest and latest and greatest stuff, but it seems like some of the younger folks (that would be less than about 50 years old) come up with their own definitions for just about everything based on the BS that they've picked up on through their years.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reason I asked this question is I have seen several times where people ask what a good coc head is and people are telling them to use a head that is anything but a coc.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
QAD Exodus - COC?

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
To me it means the head doesn't have a separate tip; the blades are formed and sharpened to be the tip.

Pics above are perfect example.

·
Registered
350 Posts
To me it means the head doesn't have a separate tip; the blades are formed and sharpened to be the tip.

Pics above are perfect example.
QAD Exodus - COC?
QAD and G5 striker are two that come to mind that have replaceable blades and COC points. They are almost a hybrid between a chisel/trocar and a COC.

Everyone that shoots them seems to like them.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
QAD and G5 striker are two that come to mind that have replaceable blades and COC points. They are almost a hybrid between a chisel/trocar and a COC.

Everyone that shoots them seems to like them.
I would call both of those a chisel point; not a COC...but that's just my opinion.
I use Ramcats which also have a chisel point that is "somewhat" sharp...

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Are the 3 blade heads like a Hellrazor, Montec, Snuffer or VPA considered COC?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Marty with graphics.....for the win! I shot and hunted with trad gear for over 30 years and pretty much everything in that realm of bowhunting was C-O-C. The main blade was a sharpened edge that tapered to a point. Fred Bear advocated rounding the tip of his famous Bear Razorheads with a bit of file work....from a "needle point" to more of a "chisel point" for better performance on bone. That is the origin of those terms as far as I know.....they go back to the 1970's or even earlier.
I was talking to someone in the industry and that subject came up. He said Fred started doing that and advocating that after an article came out that explained about spin testing your Broadheads. Supposedly, the old Bear Razorheads would not pass a spin test and Fred knew he was about to lose some money.

True or not I’m not sure but an interesting story.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,188 Posts
Yeah, now the next clarification we need is "Pass thru"

......seems like many guys shooting mech heads think any shot that pierces the hide on one side is a Passthrough......

One hole is NOT a pass thru

1 - 20 of 40 Posts