Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been practicing for the last year and a half with 26# Kaya K1 limbs (long) approximately 32# at my 31" draw, and still have some fine tuning to do with form but have been thinking about USAA competitions lately. (I'll probably have some more competition related questions in the next few weeks) I see a lot of indoor competitions at 20m and outdoor can be up to 70m. I'm probably decent to shoot at 20m indoor with my setup as it is but what is a good weight I should be trying to get to for competition?
I'm a bit older (43) and not trying for pro series stuff, just out to have fun so I don't want to be over bowed but strong enough to comfortably make distance and speed. Obviously what specific limbs are going to decide speed a lot so I'm just looking for generically what a decent weight should be. That will help me decide pricing for my next weight increment. I'll probably be looking at 32# or so in the spring which should put me at around 38# at my draw. If that seems like a good place to be, I'll spend a little more on intermediate-high level limbs since I'll be shooting them for a while. If it looks like I need to go a step higher after that, I might go with a decent $150 or so limb.

If it helps with the info, here's my current setup:
W&W Winex 25" riser
Shibuya dual click sight
Easton x7 30" single stabilizer
Shibuya dx plunger

I think I have a pretty good kit to start but like I said still need to do some fine tuning of both the bow and my self :)

Thanks in advance for any info and advice...
-Jim

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
32# is fine for indoors. 36-38# is fine for 70m with light arrows. If you want to shoot 90m and full 1440 rounds comfortably 40-42# is about where that is, but those rounds seem to be a rarity now.

If depends rather on what your cup of tea is. Personally I'd plump into some 2nd hand winacts or pse pro elites. 32# limbs with 31" draw should get you range of about 37#-41# with winex riser.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Answers will necessarily be pretty broad/general. At the world class level, women are shooting 37lb - 40lb on the fingers (always lots of exceptions, of course), and men at that level shooting mid-40's to low-50's (always lots of exceptions of course).

I think for outdoor national level Masters competitions, the general range for contending men seems to be high-mid 30's (36lb+) to low 40's (42/43lb). For the Masters women, I can only speak to 10time Natl Champ Kathleen Stevenson, who is crushing her competition with a draw weight range of 28lb to 31lb on the fingers - her technique/form is obviously pretty darn good.

And it will be pointed out that if your form/technique is good enough, you can shoot great scores with low 30's DW at outdoor distances (not sure what is a reasonable minimum weight expectation to reach 90meters - depends on arrows, other things too), although at 32lbs you'll give away some advantage in stiff winds to guys of similar skill who are holding 40lbs ... which is not to say you can't overcome it).

·
Registered
20,773 Posts
Jim -

You'll get all the stock answers about what "should" be used, what the Koreans are using and what Joe Blough used last year.
The reality is that you use whatever YOU can handle the best.

Any good rig in the 30# range should be fine to 70M, with the right arrows.
More is better, but not if you gain in trajectory and loose in control (accuracy).

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I think what I am hearing is 32# with possibly 36 -38# or so at my fingertips is a very workable weight for most competitions out to 70m. That's perfect, I prefer working with lower weight and getting better form for accuracy.
That gives me a better idea of what to work towards in the next few months...
Thanks
-Jim

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've shot Hoyt 550's, F7's, and Uukhas's at 30# or less and all have been able to reach 70 meters. I'm currently shooting Borders at 27# and they are the fastest of all, so far, and will easily reach 70 meters with Carbon Express medallion XR's. I'm in my sixties, so I shoot what is comfortable, which is below 30#. In general, the distance reached by the light bow is dependent on the velocity of the limbs and the weight/drag of the arrows. Light, skinny arrows with low drag vanes can reach amazing distance when compared to aluminum and feathers. Pick a draw weight your comfortable with and design your arrows to suit your distance. The arrows I'm shooting now are between 230 gr and 270 gr with wave vanes and they do great at distance. (they shoot better than I can)

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
Your current limb weight is fine and will easily reach 70m.

There is a guy on here that I know has about 28# OTF and is hitting 70m without issue. I say without issue, watching him shoot I see no obvious problems...I'll see if I can get him to comment here.

Also, if you'll do some reasearch, limbwalker has a thread about someoen reaching 70m with a short DL and something like 24#...don't recall the specifics

·
Registered
637 Posts
FWIW, I shoot 32# SF limbs that are around 38#OTF and I have never had a problem reaching 70m with relatively good accuracy. I even have a friend that does pretty well with only 24#. If you are comfortable with the weight and are getting good results, I don't really see the need to increase weight.

·
USAA Regional-L4 Coach
4,319 Posts
Also, if you'll do some reasearch, limbwalker has a thread about someoen reaching 70m with a short DL and something like 24#...don't recall the specifics
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2033594

A lot has to do with your geometry as well. long face, under the chin anchor, light arrows will all help.

my 22lb (24otf) Rolan bow with very old Samwha limbs can reach 60M sight out on a 5" extension. just going to an ILF rig with modern limbs, and going to 24lb limbs (about 26 otf) and I can make 70M sight on gold. and I can dominate that weight.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xm7uvx1CQ

22/24# (I forget) with bolts turned dual click sight down to about 6 one notch in carbon Super Club arrows. Mind you, change risers to carbon, change arrows to aluminum with feathers, and it's either aim high or drop short. And the spread on these arrows is actually pretty big. I'm not that great. Although this was a few months ago.

More weight would reduce wind drift, form risk, and get you flatter trajectory/maybe more speed. But I've competed at 900 with 20 or 22 and will try 70 competitions beginning in January at 22-26. You have to be real steady and not flinch, and god knows what you get in a breeze.

I'm trying to slowly build strength. My training plan is a State Secret. But I would suggest taking it slow, particularly if you can already make the distance. 2# at a time and really only when the last one gets easy.

If I were you I'd find an outside range when it's a comfortable day and walk it back. It's fun to see how far back you can get. That would be your basic, does this work test. The arrows either go on bale or fall short. Either way, after de-dirting or pulling arrows, you have your answer. My initial go at 70 with 20 had them short, I had to pop in 22s and buy carbons to get there.

And then in training terms work your way back getting skilled at shorter distances. Work at 40 or 50 shows up at 70 over time. I hadn't shot 70 in a while, did it last weekend after weeks of 20 indoors or 30-60 outdoors, there was improvement anyway. Granted, fury90flier is finding my arrows at the range still......

There are 600/900 rounds and shorter distances at a FITA you can shoot while you bridge up to 70. I kind of wish there was more emphasis on novice adult distances but there is some stuff out there, particularly if you're willing to travel.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually have one other reason to go up in weight, I am looking at new arrows and if seems that my choices in 31" or better arrows with the right spine for the lighter limbs are few and far between. Seems like they assume that lower weight = younger or shorter shooters. Right now I am using Easton Blues which are OK but I'd like to get something a bit better but it seems like all the right ones for the weight are 30" or less so upping my weight a bit opens up a lot of arrow choices for me...

-Jim

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I can _hit_ 70m with 14lbs club bow, aiming at top of trees.

Different issue is hitting there comfortably and not needing to aim off hideously when its windy or raining. Mid to high 30's definetely give you that. But there is no real need to shoot less unless you're getting overbowed, and higher poundage is almost always better, if your form allows it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts