Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My son who is 11 wants to Bow hunt this year. He shot two last season with his .308 and I guess he wants to step into the big leagues and Bow hunt. He's shooting a Browning Micro Adrenalin 38lb, 24 inch Draw, Carbon express 250's. with 75 grain field pts. I am trying to figure out a good Broadhead for him. Right now I wouldn't encourage him to take a shot beyond 20-25 yards for fear it would not be effective and only mame. He can shoot bottle caps at twenty, but then his arrows start to really fall of the shelf. Any ideas??:confused:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Personally I shoot the New F-15's from carbon express.. They are a cut on contact head with dual bleeder blades..

They would be perfect.. They are expensive... No matter what broadhead you choose they need to be a cut on contact type head that penetrates easily ..

The new F-15 would fit the bill

·
Registered
925 Posts
My son shot 2 deer last year at 27 yds. with gold tip falcon arrows and 75 grain muzzy broad heads. He was pulling 40# and 24" draw. The buck he shot the arrow went through both shoulder blades. The doe was quartering away and arrow went in at back of rib cage and exited in front of other shoulder. There was no problem with penetration.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I think the carbon express 250s are probably pretty stiff for his specs. But since he already has them... (I would also)
Magnus makes the Stinger from 85-125 in a two blade version. Wasp also makes a 75 grain 3 blade. Any of them should do the trick if he can get them to shoot straight, and hit that spot. I wish him good luck! The first will always be remembered. :thumbs_up
Don't forget the camera Dad.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hi,
My son who is 11 wants to Bow hunt this year. He shot two last season with his .308 and I guess he wants to step into the big leagues and Bow hunt. He's shooting a Browning Micro Adrenalin 38lb, 24 inch Draw, Carbon express 250's. with 75 grain field pts. I am trying to figure out a good Broadhead for him. Right now I wouldn't encourage him to take a shot beyond 20-25 yards for fear it would not be effective and only mame. He can shoot bottle caps at twenty, but then his arrows start to really fall of the shelf. Any ideas??:confused:
Magnus Stinger 85gr would be an excellent choice.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Another vote for Magnus Stinger.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I was at Dick's earlier today and seen that Rage is making a 40KE 2"cut broadhead. I stoped to look just because I had to see what they were. They look like the regular Rage heads, but are designed for low weight and or short draw length bows (with 40 lbs of KE). I know nothing but what I've read about the Rage heads so I'm sugesting them but just letting you know their out there as an option.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
go with any good cut on contact head like 2 blade magnus stingers or steel force.

stay away from mech heads.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My son has had real god luck with 3 blade 75 grain Innerloc broadheads. three years in a row complete pass throughs draw weights from 40-50 lbs 25-26" draw. About $30 a six pac. They cannot come apart great blade locking system.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I can't vouch for them yet, as he hasn't used them, but I'm going to have my 9 year-old use the 85gr Montecs I use for pronghorn (I shoot 125gr Montecs on heavier sticks for deer).

If I were buying new, I agree that the oft-mentioned-above Magnus Stingers are a better value, but I already have the light Montecs.

Either way, I'd go cut on contact if you can.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
My daughter shoots light poundage, so I have her setup with Magnus Stingers. I liked them so much that I am now shooting them myself.
Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.