Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you thought on a good all around sight. And would a 3rd axis sight be good for hunting. Help me out looking for a now sight to really do it all. Are there any suggestions.:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I have shot them all. You have to ask yourself what features you want and how much you want to spend.

For the money I have been really impressed with my swords. Built tough, but because they are so tough they are a little heavy.

The hogg it, if you have the cheese, is very nice and has micro adjust everything, but its VERY pricey.

The sureloc sight is great too.

Then the copper john deadnuts 3 is good sight too.

lots of options.

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
HTM makes some of the strongest built sights in the world.
They make great all around sights.
They are often overlooked.
www.htmbowsights.com

Sag.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Sights

Spott Hogg if you have $$$
Heard good things about Sword
I'm partial to the Viper pro series lineup with 3rd axis and capable of a lense on it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hunting Sight Overkill...

I am using a CBE Micro Lite and loving it for hunting. I think I am going to add/upgrade the scope to a HHA pro 5019 which I think will gather a lot more light for low-light shooting than the current scope I am using.

Definitely not the most cost effective option but I would put it up there against any of the others regarding durability, quality and accuracy...

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Trophy Ridge Matis V-Drive Guide series seems as if it would be a great do-all sight.. Although I havent shot 3d courses with it, I have been doing pleanty of backyard 3d shooting and other than the .29 pins, its great.. Plus, TR`s customer service has proved to me that they are as good as one could ask for (besides free sights haha)... This sight is a single pin adjustable/ pendulum... Perfect for both worlds..

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
captbrandon said:
I really like my HHA optimizer lite 5519. Single pin, adjustable yardage and brightness. I opted for the .19 fiber so it is small enough for target and bright enough for hunting. I feel its the best of everything. just my 2cents...
I love my HHA XL-5019 sight. The "OL" series has a 1.5" diameter head, and the "XL" series has a 2". I have the 4X lens kit B for my XL and it is a great sight for 3D. For hunting season, I remove the lens. The HHA sights are very bright, so definately get the .019 pin size.

If you do not want to spend the extra $$ for the 5500 series with the adjustable rheostat for brightness, then go to Walmart or some place and buy a small packet of girls hair scrunchies (spelling ?) preferably in black to blend in. Place the scrunchie around the sight head to cover up the fiber optic ring, it works great and you can slide it to make it adjustable. Electrical tape works too, but is more of a permanent solution!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently put on a Truglo brite site extreme 5pin it has alot of bang for the buck and is built like a tank. The pins are .019 so they are small enough and sighting in was easy with the calibration marks on the site!

·
Registered
12,895 Posts
Sword is the ticket. The optics don't need to be replaced to make it better than factory. .010 pins can't be beat. Great customer service. These guys will make your sight any way you like. Also can't beat the prices. I have and hunt with a 3rd plane but looking to get a twilight hunter as well.
I have had many problems with others and none with the Swords, we have three. Made it through opener without a fiber optic having to replaced and that, honestly, is a first! Last year I pulled up my elk and was a tad rattled when my pin was missing the optic once again. Got the elk but the sight went away for good. You will see other sight companies coming out w .010 pins. I gotto ask why didn't they do that before or atleast have it as an option?

·
Registered
882 Posts
sword.. and you can get two (the twilight hunter) for the same price as one of the higher priced sights!

You sure can't beat the brightness w/out the light attachment.. and with the light.. hmmm... just say, it really extends the time you can see your pins! ;)

~Kygirl~

Attachments

·
NC ASA Director
35,988 Posts
I like the Extreme Recon 800
Viper Predator Pro Micro
and
Sword Apex Micro 3rd Plane

I like the .010" pins for target available on the Viper and Sword

I use the .010" pins for hunting also, but your eyes may be different than mine. I am near sighted, so I think that helps.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have "Spott-Hogs" on all my bow's as well as my wife's bows. Strong and tough.

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,334 Posts
Lots of Swords recommended, I'll have to check them out.

I like the Trophy Taker Top Pin.
4 pins and the top pin (20 yards for me) is extremely bright for those early mornings or late evenings.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Sword

Doc said:
I think you should take a very good look at this sight Apex Micro 3rd Plane
http://www.swordacusite.com/products.html#

I saw these at the lake shoot in Roanoke, really nice hunting sight (Twilight) I've ordered one for this year. I'm using a Spott Hogg Hunter and I've modded the fibers to make them brighter, but lets face it you shouldn't have to do that to a sight. The sword is very bright but not crazy bright.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
sword

you can get a couple different ones. Twilight hunter is well for hunting, but i use for both with no problems. you can get it in just plain black or in camo. the 3rd plane comes in just black but has an extended bracket on it.

speed

1 - 20 of 58 Posts