Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was waching a show on cable. The guy shot a buck (archery)and was boasting about what a great shot he had made. In the same sentence he says he tracked the deer 200 yards. How can that be such a good shot? I have shot does and bucks-not so perfectly- and they were tracked under 50! (not bragging!)
I am amazed at the gun shots you see on these videos the deer run like they have been smacked on tha @$$ with a pine cone and the hunter says "good shot, man!". Go back to the range fella-learn how to handle that $1000 Whetherby before the recoil makes you pee in your snow suit!
Is it just me?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Unknown

This is one of those areas where there are no sure answers. I've seen people take deer with a slug gun, nothing but pulp for the heart, and the deer ran 300 yards. I took a deer last year that pulverized the heart and both lungs and it dropped in it's tracks. Every creature is different, there are no two that are going to react the same way to a bullet or an arrow. You can hit the exact same spot with the exact same arrow/bullet and no two are going to die at the exact same time. There have been many studies on this, and just as many different theories. One is that an alert deer is on edge and the impact gives them a jolt of adrenaline. Then why is it that the deer that was feeding ran farther than the deer that was alert? Noone knows for sure and you can't really bash someone until you see where exactly the shot impacted and what damage it did to the internal organs of the animal. Just my .02
Chris

·
Registered
693 Posts
Just because a deer was tracked for 200 yards does not mean it wasn't a good shot. It very well might have been a great shot. I feel a good shot is one which hits where you were aiming and resulted in an uneventful recovery of the animal whether then animal dropped in its tracks or ran 400 yards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts