Archery Talk Forum banner

What is an acceptable weight variance for a pack of broadheads?

561 2
I just picked up two packs of 125 grain Snuffer SS broadheads from a local store. These heads were marked way down as they were from 2006 inventory. Nobody carries new ones in my hometown, so I thought I'd take advantage of the low price. Anyway I open them up and put them on my reloading scale. The six heads range in weight from 119.5 grains to 124.8 grains, with one weighing 120.5 and the remaining three heads 123.7+/- a tenth of a grain. This seems way out of line to me. The last pack of Montecs I got all weighed within .2 grains of each other. What would you do with the heads weighing just 119.5 and 120.5? I'm thinking second arrow if necessary.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
I'd just shoot them. In my experience I can't tell a five grain difference out to 60 yards. Ten grains I start to get some group separation...in field tips.

As an alternative I'd "oversharpen" the heavier heads to take enough material off to lighten them a little.:)

· Registered
1,376 Posts
+-5 grain is ok, +-2 is really good. id say five grains is normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.