Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been practicing from various yardage and am very comfrtable shooting from 20 yards 5 arrows in a 5 inch target I plan on turkey hunting thats why the distance. Just for target archery I am planning on stepping back to 30 then 40 yards. Just curious what should I be working toward at these 2 distances as far as arrows in what size circle. Thanks for your help here. Also I am looking to get another bow to use at condo in Fl. (don't want to take bow back and forth), I am shooting a no cam HTX now and really like it but wondering if I should get something different possiblt Halon 32 or a target bow for Florida. Your thoughts please.

·
Registered
24,952 Posts
Apollo :)

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
I have been practicing from various yardage and am very comfrtable shooting from 20 yards 5 arrows in a 5 inch target I plan on turkey hunting thats why the distance. Just for target archery I am planning on stepping back to 30 then 40 yards. Just curious what should I be working toward at these 2 distances as far as arrows in what size circle. Thanks for your help here. Also I am looking to get another bow to use at condo in Fl. (don't want to take bow back and forth), I am shooting a no cam HTX now and really like it but wondering if I should get something different possiblt Halon 32 or a target bow for Florida. Your thoughts please.

Only you can tell you what you think is good... For some, putting 15 arrows [one at a time] in a group the size of a quarter at 50m is not good enough, for others it's hitting the vitals at 20yds. In VI I [visually impaired category I or blindfolded] archery 60 arrows in a group about the size of a paper plate is nearly a world record on a 60cm target at 18m... So realistically, what are your goals and what would you consider to be good enough for you?

Far better for you to focus on having a good process, cleanly executed shots, than focusing on the results/scores/groups. When you focus on the process, all the other stuff comes together... Just because you hit the 'X' doesn't mean the process was good, even a broken watch is correct twice a day. When you execute a perfect [as near as perfect goes] process every time, you've done all that you can do and the rest [the results] are left to forces beyond your control [i.e. wind drift, fluke mechanicals, mistimed spook of an animal...

·
New Kid
652 Posts
As others have said, you'll develop your own idea of what is good for you. But if you want some comparison, look at the scores from the Vegas Shoot. Among the amateurs (not pros) there were over 100 archers in Compound Flights who dropped 10 points or less over 90 arrows at 20 yards ... meaning they were putting the arrow in the 10 ring nearly every time, and that's a circle 4cm across (less than 1.6 inches). I consider myself a mediocre compound archer, and generally average over 280/300 points over 30 arrows, meaning I can keep 30 arrows within a 3-inch circle.

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
There're two ways to gauge it: relative to other shooters and relative to your own shooting. In my case, I'm far better regarding the latter than the former. Relative to how I shot this time last year, I'm head and shoulders above that nowadays. But sprinke's "mediocre" label would actually be charitable to describe how my scores stack up against my competitors. I mollify myself by thinking that part of it is because I shoot a BHFS setup with homemade strings in the freestyle class, but that's about the only excuse I can really legitimately offer myself.

For me, tho, the most important thing is that I'm improving. If I'm not getting better that lowers my opinion of my shooting over against when I'm at least getting arrows through the bow and shooting better and better with little to no backsliding over time.

Getting to a competitive level in compound is an eventual goal, but that's pretty far away. My short term goals are somewhat reduced over that at this point - making it through our state outdoor on Sat. at all, by that I mean just getting 72 arrows down there with the bow somehow period, was a major goal and I did accomplish it so I'm happy with that. I did place too, but I only had to beat one guy to do it :).

lee.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
2" at 20, 3" at 30, etc is a basic level of competence.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Since you plan to hunt turkeys, I would suggest, instead of a paper plate, practicing on the paper saucers. Should be the right size for a turkey. When you can keep all your good shots in the saucer size target, then move back. When you can no longer keep your good shots in the paper saucer, then do not shoot at a live one past the distance that you have determined to be your limit. Do not aim at the turkey's head unless you are able to hit a bottle cap.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Another recommendation for turkey priactice.........shoot with your terminal gear, not field points. Red Solo cups make GREAT broadhead targets, if you have a broadhead pit to practice on. The inside is visible WHITE, Perfect size. Cheap. if you NICK one, you'll hear it. How far can you consistently hit that cup?

Remember your worst shot at the range- all calm, war, dry etc..... is likely the best you will do on a live animal- excited, out of position, weird angles, cold, hungry, and so on. So limit your hunting range to your cant miss range distance, not your "I almost always hit it at this range."

·
Registered
136 Posts
Being a "good" archer is just about being consistent. Not so much about having the absolute smallest group size, but being able to repeat the same results time and time again.

·
Registered
998 Posts
To me aside from having fun, not taking it too seriously, I would have to say CANI. Constant and Never Ending Improvement from season to season, shooting what you enjoy, regardless of if it's Field, 3D, Spots or practicing for Hunting. Being a student of the discipline, 2 main ingredients being having a repeatable form and shot sequence to concentrate on. See what the Pros have to say online. Learn about your equipment and see what works for you. I love the way Rio Wilde describes things, to paraphrase ( this is the way I do it and I hope you find your way). Everyone is different. Emulate Top Hunters, Pros, or Knowledgeable people around you who have a similar style as you. when you are having a bad day shooting, try and work through it, always trying your best and use it to figure out what you may have been doing wrong, work to correct issues turn into a positive, shake it off and forget about it. Compete against yourself and not others. Above all have fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts