Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what everyone's furthest consistent distance to target is before your groupings kinda go to hell? I've been breaking a lot of arrows, shooting through fletchings and breaking a lot of nocks recently with just 3 arrow groups at 50 yards. Big difference when I move back to 70 yards. I'm still hitting the kill zone on 3D targets at 70 but the group spreads out noticeably. I think eye sight plays at least 50% into that and the 20 more yards the other 50%. It has taken me about a year of dedicated shooting every day to get to this point at 50 though.

·
Registered
Elite Rezult, Kure, and Ritual 35. Black Eagle Arrows, Ham Rests, BowFreaks Archery Mt Vernon MO
1,548 Posts
Mine seems to be around 55-60 yards usually. A lot depends on me on the conditions I am shooting in, or how hot or cold it is. I seem to do better at distance when it is between 65-75 degrees outside with lower humidity. I don't know if my bow likes it more, or me. :)

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Haven't spent much time shooting at 70 yards. I will agree with you my groups open up quite a bit at 70. Most of my long range practice is at 50.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The older I get the closer that distance gets hahahaha

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Elite Rezult, Kure, and Ritual 35. Black Eagle Arrows, Ham Rests, BowFreaks Archery Mt Vernon MO
1,548 Posts
The older I get the closer that distance gets hahahaha

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Aint that the truth, LOL A LOT closer.

·
Archery Addict
9,251 Posts
I have been shooting quite a bit recently at 60 and 70 yards. With my poor eyesight, I just try to keep them in the middle of the vitals on my Morrell bag target. Usually my groups are around 5-6 inches and I'm good with that as long as they are in the marked vitals. 30-50 yards and the groups really shrink a lot to the point that I rarely shoot more than 3 arrows at the 10 ring on my 3D target or I shoot the different spots on my bag target or block.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Mine is about 10 yards, but I am 81 years old. However, shooting with a buddy last week I put 5 out of 8 arrows in the spot, on the field target, at 60 yards, but that is not the norm.

·
Registered
436 Posts
50 yards. My vision is still able to pick a small spot, I've always had a green 50 yard pin, and i use it as my "I'm on today and the bow is on today" heat check. It is also the distance i have my peep setup for.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
Pfft... I once dropped an arrow out of my quiver and missed the ground, so...

·
Registered
212 Posts
40 yards is the "I will never miss a 3D targets vitals for me". If I do miss past that, out to 60 yards i typically miss the vitals by an inch and its a low shot. Working on form to improve that, also think getting new contacts will help.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I have a 1 inch group at 100 yards. Yall suck! LOL

Depends on the day. Sometimes I'm golden at 70 yards. Others I struggle at 45.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
If I'm practicing a lot and know the exact yardage - 60 yards. 50 yards its 10 out of 10 inside circle of a paper plate. At 60 yards its only 9 out of 10 or sometimes even 8 if conditions aren't good. So I'm really picky on 60 yard shots. Passed up a record class black bear at around 60 yards because I didn't have a rangefinder with me and being off just a yard or two coupled with the other problems shooting 60 yards made it too dicey of a shot.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,780 Posts
i feel good anywhere within 50 yards. shot at 91 yards the other day for the heck of it and i only got 3/9 arrows into my rhinoblock lol i was still happy with it. for me personally i think i wasn't paying attention to my grip, i was too focused on the distance and i guess it got the better of me

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I do a ton if not all of my practice at 80. I do this to make my distances in 3D really feel easy. 80 to me is that "next level" yardage. If I am really focused in on my form, I can keep a pie plate sized grouping consistently. If I get lazy, I can miss my block target very quickly!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have a 1 inch group at 100 yards. Yall suck! LOL

Depends on the day. Sometimes I'm golden at 70 yards. Others I struggle at 45.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
You really need to work on that 1 inch group, I actually can't shoot at 100 yards at the same dot because I robin hood literally every single time...............

1 - 20 of 73 Posts