Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might get interesting. Lets let each here voice there opionion without responding to there opionions.

Give up to ten reasons why you hunt.

1- Get Outdoors and reflex on life.
2- Challenge of chasing animal on there turf.
3- Chance to bond with friends in sport we enjoy
4- Enjoy a sunrise and sunset
5- Enjoy watching seeing animals of all species while hunting.
6- I actually prayer often and feel in touch with God
7- Silence of leaving stress at work and home
8- Its something my life needs
9- I have always hunted from young age in family that doesnt hunt. Actually could be from earlier days of TV and watching Fred Bear videos.
10- Hunting seems magical to me. Never two hunts the same.

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
Daniel Boone said:
Give up to ten reasons why you hunt.
Not in any particular order, these are a few of my favorite things:

1) Planning the trip
2) Shopping for new gear (I can't believe I just said shopping)
3) The trip itself
4) The anticipation of the hunt
5) The camaraderie
6) The sunrise
7) Wildlife encounters, both game and non-game
8) Fog
9) Dew
10) Buck fever
11) The shot
12) Tracking
13) The kill & humility
14) The high fives & celebration
15) The wind
16) The scenery
17) The sky
18) Gut piles
19) The laughter
20) The sunset
21) The night
22) Naps in camp
23) Camp meals
24) Campfires
25) Cards
26) Solitude
27) Knives
28) God's original church

Oh, sorry. I could go on, but you said up to 10. Feel free to edit out any of the extra 18 I mentioned. ;)

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Just pick any 10 of DT's and that'll work... or I can add to his list...

It's what I am, and what I do....

·
Registered
445 Posts
1. I like the outdoors.
2. To escape the pressures of life.
3. To provide meat for the table, at least some variety from beef, pork, and poultry.
4. To be closer to Creator, by being able to watch some of the other creatures that share this planet with us.
5. To test my skills and ability to "outwit" the game I persue, and measure my ability to be able to survive in the outdoors.
6. To test my skills and abilities with the weapons I use. (bowhunting has been my preferred method of hunting for most of my years. Injuries have led me to include the compound bow and crossbow in my definition of bowhunting, but the recurve and longbow are my favorite weapons) Sometimes, when I don't really need or want an animal, I will get into shooting position, draw the bow, sight on the vitals, then let the bow down without shooting. After the animal has gone I may shoot at a leaf, or clump of grass where it stood to proove to myself I could have killed it.
7. To observe the interconnection of plants, animals, weather and geographical conditions firsthand, and be able to see firsthand how they can impact each other, and us.
8. To enjoy the fellowship of other hunters, perhaps tutor a young hunter in ways of improving his methods, and being able to share experiences and advice.
9. To keep my skills sharp, and hopefully improve them, so I may teach my son as he grows older. (he's only 3 now)
10. My wife don't hunt, just had to throw that one in! :D

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Yep!!!! You guys have said it good enough for me. There is no need for me to type the same stuff over in my on words.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Hunting to me is:

1. Spending time in Gods beautiful country, especially those cold fall mornings and cool evenings....
2. Spending time with my Dad,2 brothers and a hunting buddy.
3. And I love the rush (as I'm sure all do) of that little limb crack or crunching leaves that gets your heart pounding and eyes buggin.....:D
4.And the moment of truth when you make a good shot and watch the animal go down.
5. I also enjoy tracking, we always have some to track every year and we do our best to find them and we mostly do...
6. Meat that is way better than you'll find in the grocery store.;)

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That feeling I get

When a good buck is headed my way. Got to be better than any drug out there. I know my heart is racing. Quess that would be the thrill of the hunt.

Us big guys do like to eat. Had deer burgers tonight. Man are they good.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
danielboone and treejumper sum it up perfectly for me.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
DB, All of the above!:) To quote an old redneck I know....."is it more religios to sit in church and think about hunting, or to go hunting and think about god?":confused: Hunting to me is being a part of nature.:) The ducks, geese, crains, rabbits, squirrels, grouse, pheasants, ect. The kill is a bonus, if you play it right!:) There is no such thing as a "bad" day hunting.:D Not to me anyway. The looks I get from my boys (9, 5,and 3) are priceless too!:cool: They CAN'T learn that in school! P.S. killin' stufff is fun too!:p

·
Registered
27 Posts
ADDICTION

That's about it the smell of the woods the dew the sunrise and sunset then wind the sound of all kind of animals. The peace with in while setting in the stand and waiting. The little leason's we learn and most of all like Daniel said I almost always begin to pray and talk with GOD.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Most days in the woods I love to drink coffee from my thermos and fall asleep in my ground blind.

I spend a great deal of time calculating how far a deer could possibly run if I hit him and if I could get my tractor or quad back to that spot.

If too far, then I let the deer pass and find a place for another nap.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
1.Its a personal match between me and the animals hunted.
2.Its the adreniline rush the moment you know you are getting a shot, and the moment you either see the deer fall or walk up on it dead.
3.Its the cool things you get to see and experience that others never even dream of.
4.Its the time I get to spend with my Dad....unless he starts getting too stubborn;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
All of the wonderful thoughts already said, and 1 more little thing:

...the total rush of drawing back on a completely wild animal and knowing I don't even have to release the arrow. I've already won........

....of course releasing the arrow has it's benefits as well......(real estate value goes up in the freezer)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
In this old hillbillys' opinion, if you have to kill an animal to enjoy the hunt you're in it for the wrong reasons. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
745 Posts
I agree with all of you, and I want to add one more thing:
1) The joy of taking my 4yr old out with me. Letting him experience the outdoors like his dad does. The look on his face this past turkey season as the birds gobbled, and his first trip into the deer woods with me. I am taking him with me for his first deer hunt this weekend. Hopefully we can get a doe!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Reconnect with nature
Meat
Exercising my rights
Peace of mind
It is not the kill itself, but the thrill of the chase, that brings me back every time.

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
Hunting is back straps, breaded and fried with mashed potatoes and green beans. you know what I am saying!!

Yea its great to get in the woods and all but the ultimate reward is DINNER!!!

I cant wait!! 18th here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts