Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have bought and returned at least 5 trailcams in the last year, wildgame inovations, wildview, yaa i know they are cheaper cams less than 100 bucks but i'm not about to leave 2 or 3 hundred dollar cameras on a tree in the woods.

i mean i have digital cameras, mp3 players, cd players and all other types of electronics that work flawlessly for years, but i can't find a damn trail cam to last and work right for more than a couple months????:angry:

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
You don't leave your camera, mp3, etc. in the woods in the elements.

That makes cheap cams all the more likely to fail. I've had $200 cams fail, too. You really don't step up in reliability until you go homebrew or reconyx/buckeye cam, etc. Not many people want to go that route, including me.

I'll watch for sales and then make sure I warranty the cams as best as possible when an issue arises.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hi,

I'm on years 5, 6, and 7 on some of my homebrews.

-Witty

·
Registered
123 Posts
try a bushnell trophy cam, get the security box that utilizes a python lock so you can leave it in the woods and feel better about it. You can get it all for less than $300

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I think you answered your own question, Cheap.

Andrew
You don't leave your camera, mp3, etc. in the woods in the elements.

That makes cheap cams all the more likely to fail.
Bingo!

Your leaving it out in the rain, wind, snow, sun, and varying temps for months on end and then wonder why a <$100 camera doesnt last long..... You think they are spending much on "weather proofing" when the cam itself costs under $100....I think not!!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Build your own.

A Homebrew cam cost from $80-$300 pending on features and cam quality. My cam is an 8.1MP that takes day and night photos. It cost me about $80 to build and takes photos like the high price cams. The best part is if they ever need to be worked on you know how to fix any problem.

:slice:

·
Registered
11,266 Posts
you need to do what i did and start using homebrew cameras. many great builders here on a.t 12 ringer seems to know his cams real well

·
A Man for All Seasons
2,713 Posts
trail cam

I have heard the same story from many of my friends; ....they have lots of problems.
I bought a cheapo wildview about 4 or 5 yrs ago, and it still works great. go figure.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,428 Posts
this is the very

reason so many camtrapping veterans have moved to Homebrew trailcams

they're not a cheap as a D-40 but certainly not as much as a Reconyx and the best part - every cam is built for your needs -

I'd be glad to help in any way if your interested - my site will be going live within the month (the12-ring.com) ~hopefully~

A little to get you thinking about homebrews.....

·
Registered
15,811 Posts
Yep, build your own, lots of fun and better picture quality.

·
Registered
11,266 Posts

they're not a cheap as a D-40 but certainly not as much as a Reconyx and the best part - every cam is built for your needs -

I'd be glad to help in any way if your interested - my site will be going live within the month (the12-ring.com) ~hopefully~

A little to get you thinking about homebrews.....

like i said 12ringer knows homebrews

·
Registered
410 Posts
I love the homebrew I got from 12-ringer. You get what you pay for. $100 camera just isnt going to hold up out in the elements.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Where do you have your info posted for learning how you make these?

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts