Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In hunting and 3d shoots what are the advantages or dissadvantages or .019 pins over .029 pins .

·
Registered
787 Posts
Accuracy

You'll get a finer aming point at small or distant targets. Too large of pin can cover the spot you're aming at and make it difficult to hold on center.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Exactly...

You'll get a finer aming point at small or distant targets. Too large of pin can cover the spot you're aming at and make it difficult to hold on center.
Exactly right. To me, the .029 pins are useless if you're shooting 50yrd 3D targets, They just cover up too much of the target. I use the .019's and would like to try some of the .010's but haven't had any in my hands yet. Others here may be able to elaborate on the super fine pins.

Dawg

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Exactly right. To me, the .029 pins are useless if you're shooting 50yrd 3D targets, They just cover up too much of the target. I use the .019's and would like to try some of the .010's but haven't had any in my hands yet. Others here may be able to elaborate on the super fine pins.

Dawg
.010 for me even for hunting, aim small miss small!

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
.019 pins make it alot easier to see the spot your aiming at at further distances. .029 pins will cover alot more area on the target at further distances causing your shots to be not as accurate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will these comment hold true in early morning or late day hunts. And if i use the light on , my sidewinder lx, will it be as clear ?

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
will these comment hold true in early morning or late day hunts. And if i use the light on , my sidewinder lx, will it be as clear ?
I find the smaller fiber to be clearer because the size is smaller it tends to blur less for me but my eyes are old and tired. With good fiber you don't need a light, I have 3ft. of Fitz .010 fiber wrapped on my sight housing and it is bright enough to see well past legal hunting times.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been shooting the .010s for about a year now and I love them. After shooting the .010 pins even the .019s look huge. I don't have any problems in low light conditions. If you are using .029s I would seriously consider trying some of the .019s out. It will drastically improve your sight picture.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yep, went to the .010 pins about a year ago and --

would not go back.

If you happen to have a couple of year old Sword w .010 pins and fibers, I would urge you to give them a call and have them send you some new fibers. An amazing transition. The new green's are piercing but the more surprising color was the orangish red color. They are awesome, two to three times brighter than my old ones.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Try both..... on the same sight .29 for your 20 yard pin and the .19 for your 30 and 40 yard pins.

Nothing wrong with a .29 for hunting in the timber.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I forgot you guys have bows that travel at speeds over 330+ 20 yard pin and 30 yards pin is a thing of the past for most.

Guess Me and my rig are gettin' old.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
to me it all depends on the length of the sight bar
I personally like 29's for hunting you can see them better and most likely where i'm at it wont be a long shot
I think the smaller the pin the more the archer over aims to try to get it too perfect which can lead to bad habits
JMO

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
All of the guys are right about the sight picture being better with the smaller pins. The thing to consider is how much you move around at full draw. If you move a good bit with smaller pins it will actually exaggerate or magnify the movement if you will. If you move alot try the larger pins and you will be surprised at how steady you can now hold.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I actually used to shoot the smaller pin and with my new sight I switched to the larger one and my groups improved drastically, even got my first robin hood at 35 yards. I would say like anything else its just preference and what works best for you. Anyone else agree?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I'm not a fan of the small pins at all! For me the larger .029 pins are easier to see in low light and they are quicker and easier to pick up in low light while hunting. I also have no problems with them for shooting 3-D. With the smaller pins the more you move the more they move and I seem to hold alot steadier with the larger pins and I am more accurate with them.

·
Registered
651 Posts
There is less percieved movement with the larger pins. I like to use a .29 for 3d. When hunting I set my sight up with a .29 for 20yds, 2 .19 pins for 30 and 40yds and a .10 for 50yds.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I switched from the .29 to the .19 on my spot-hogg and love them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts