Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently embarked on a study of crossbows for the purpose of having them included in the archery season/any season here in Hawaii and when I queried the manufacturers of their AVERAGE crossbow velocities, I got an answer of 220 -240 average.

I'm now in an argument with a gentleman over on traditional archery about the rules changes in a state and he is stating that most crossbows are over 300 fps with the best at 345... which I agree there, but I'm at a loss on this 300 fps average. Anyone give something to back this up?

Much Aloha,

Tom :cool: :beer:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Many of the more inexpensive (Chinese) bows are in the 225fps range.
Most of the better American bows are in the 300 to 350 range.
A few are up in the 360 to 375 range.
And then there is the Bowtech Stryker that is just over 400fps (406fps). And this has been verified by a few owners on this and other boards.

If you have to say "average" for a modern...quality crossbow...I'll stick my neck out and say...in the 295fps to 325fps range.

This is for both recurve and compound bows.

Mike

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
I shoot three of different pull weights. It averages out to 315 fps with the arrows I prefer (speed over kinetic energy).

·
Vendor
5,694 Posts
"average" for most modern crossbows is 275-315ish. There are some that are less and some that are more, but the majority of the ones sold are in that range. One issue that is never touched upon is that though the speed is in many instances greater than a compound(though not by much now adays) the short draw length makes for a less stable flight and the shorter arrow is more apt to be less stable than the longer arrow on a compound. One of the reasons that crossbows generaly get beaten at competitions when the targets are at long ranges...They can jump up and down all they want about the speeds, but they still have a limited effective range and the gun hunters that everyone is afraid will run out and decimate the deer herds when Xbows become legal dont want to get close to an animal. They would rather sit at 200yrds and assasinate some deer and you cant do that with an Xbow, so they generaly use them a few times then sell them and go back to their guns. It is a stupid argument...

Wyvern

1 - 4 of 4 Posts