Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I am a beginner getting into video taping our hunts. Does anybody have any recommendations on what camera is the best for the money out there, I am looking to spend around 1500.00. Was wanting a smaller one rather than a big one, something that will also fit on a tripod.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
The best bang for the buck right now is a Sony HVR-Z5U, but it is a LOT more than $1500.00

For that price range, you are going to be looking at a consumer camera.

Check out the Canon HV40......it is a really nice HD camera that records on miniDV tape. You can mount it on any tripod/tree arm that has a 1/4"x20 stud.:)

·
Registered
278 Posts
In that price range look at the Panasonic TM300, records to SD memory has
I think 32gig built in plus you can record to sd cards, check out camcorderinfo.com it is their best of year for 2009. They also have an indeepth review.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I've been using my Sony Handycam High-8 camera so far and want to enter into the HD world. I have researched consumer and prosumer cameras alike and narrowed it down to the Canon Vixia HF S10 and Sony HDR-XR500V. Both cameras support most of the features one would expect a high end consumer camcorder to support. However, the Canon Vixia HF S10 offers more flexibility over controlling certain options, while supporting both Cinema mode (24p) and Progressive mode (30p) as well as recording bitrates up to 24Mbps HD recording. Both cameras can be purchased for around $1000.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The panasonic TM300 which is 1200-1300 is far better than the cannon or sony, it has lCD and viewfinded, manual focus and zoom ring and is far better in low light. It can be hard to get right now because it is selling like wild.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Far better than Canon or Sony? That's not what research shows.

Just completed comparing the Panasonic HDC-TM300 to the Sony Vixia HF S10 and for the most part they are identical. The only real difference is the Panasonic has a touch screen LCD w/ supplied stylus, where the Canon uses a joystick to navigate the menu structure. Another major difference is that the Canon has no view finder (eye cup), while the Panasonic does. The Canon shoots still photos at 8Mpix while the Panasonic shoots stills at 2.65Mpix. The Panasonic has 12X optical and 700X digital zoom while the Canon has 10X optical and 200X digital zoom. Both allow manual focus, and more. Those are the major differences.

Pricewise, they are about the same. I've found both readily available online. The Panasonic for $899 and the Canon @ $999. Both received high reviews from consumers and product evaluators alike. All other technical specifications held equal both cameras should provide rock solid video and audio. However, at the end of the day do your own research and buy what best fits your needs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts