Archery Talk Forum banner

What Is The Proper Way To Use A Bow Press?

703 3
I got a bow press this morning, and was wanting to ask those of you with knowledge on using one, what precautions should I take when pressing a bow? What is the proper position for the pegs on the limbs and riser?

Thanks,
Scott.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
539 Posts
It depends on the configuration of the bow. Generally speaking, for bows with standard risers, I position the bow so that the top roller is near the end of the riser above the limb pocket. The other roller is places under the limb as close to the eccentrics as possible without causing contact when the bow is compressed.

For Hoyt 'Tec' bows both rollers need to be placed on the limbs, one near the riser and the other near the eccentrics. It also helps prevents unnecessary stress to your riser and limbs if you turn down the poundage of your bow before you position it in the press. This is especially important for higher poundage bows.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
bow press

It depends on what bow press you have as to where you place the rollers.
On my bow press, i place the limbs on the rollers about half way between the riser and the limb tip on one bow and on my ONEIDA, the rollers are placed half way up the top limb.
You do not want to pull from the riser grip, (center of riser).
If you have straps, place them as near the bow limbs as you can get them.
Pulling from anywhere near the center of the riser CAN bend or break the riser!

My web site:
http://home.earthlink.net/~baswb/archery

shoot em straight

· ShootArchery.com
821 Posts
bow press

Noticed you were located in East Tn.. ???

You stated that your bow press has pegs.... not rollers...

This is a good thing... it most probably uses a hyd. bottle jack too?

judging from your handle, I predict your going to be putting a Mathews in your new press... You might want to back the limb bolts out a little taking care to note how much so you can reset them when your done. I have a buddy who damaged his mathews because the tension was not let off before it was pressed.

I'd place the inside pegs above and near the ends of the riser , and the outside pegs below the limbs and as near to the idler and cam but not so close as to interfere with removing the string or cable...

Also, if you happen to use a CamSaver, you may need to remove it first.... If you happen to damage the velcro attached to your limb, let me know and I would be happy to send you some..

As you use the press, expierence will teach you best....

good luck.. and press onward

www.odproshops.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.