Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is it i hear "i shoot 350's 400's 300's out of a 60, 65, 70 pound bow?" I have Beaman ICS hunter 340 9.3 gpi (gpi means grains per inch right?) i use to shoot these arrows out of a 29 inch draw 60 pound compound but i lowered my draw to 28 inches after getting new strings since my draw was a bit too long and my bow does not adjust to 1/2 inch incriments the shop that did my strings said i shuld not need any new arrows with the shortened draw. The chart i kept from the arrow box when i baught them says at 28 inches i need 400 grain arrows...... I been shooting with no problems and no bow explosions. I remember the gander worker helping me buy the right size arrows when i grabbed the 400 grains and not the 340 that the chart says and the worker said i needed HEAVIER arrows :mg: isnt 400 grains heavier than 340?

basikly why are arrow charts suggesting heavier arrows shot out of lighter draw and shorter draw bows and lighter ones are shot from heavyer draw bows and longer draws?

why do people shoot heavier arrows than needed for a bow?

Is there something i do not understand here?

basickly why do people shoot arrows that slow a bow to almost 100 fps less than the advertised ibo fps?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
you need to separate the terms

Spine
arrows are rated for a "spine" which is a measure of stiffness,
spine is the deflection in inches an arrow will bend with a 2lb weight on it when supported near each end 26 inches apart

a 340 spine arrow bends 0.340 inches
a 400 spine arrow bends 0.400 inches

so the 340 spine is stiffer, and the charts usually refer to the spine when making a selection

Weight
weight of an arrow shaft is in grains per inch, and a 340 spine arrow is heavier than a 400 spine arrow, check the charts for the difference probably 9.3gpi vs 8.4gpi

Generally a stiffer arrow is heavier and better suited for an heavier bow
hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts