Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had an incident this weak end. My sights simply feel apart and instead of replaceing parts I bought new sights. I bought a Cobra sure lock sight to put on the bow, and eather the bolts weren't long enought or there was some trash in the threads and it scared up my threads pretty bad. Instead of redrilling new holes and taping them I was wondering if I could just retap the existing holes, to clean up the threads in the riser.

My question is what size tap do I need to get and also will this work, need help fast.

Thanks

Jason

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
It won't hurt to try.

Use a bottom tap also. :wink:

·
The Impartial Archer
18,217 Posts
It depends on how bad they are messed up but like all ready said it won't hurt to run a 10/24 tap in it to clean it up a bit. If it will bite pretty good after that you might try some Purple low strength locktite to see if it will hold. If that doesn't work I would go up one size to a 12/24 on that hole only. Aluminum is easy to work with and taps are cheap and you can get them with the correct bit so you insure the right size starter hole JUST take your time. If you haven't done a lot of taping I would get a scrap piece of aluminum and do a few test runs to perfect my skills before trying it on the bow.

·
Extreme Opinionated One
44,277 Posts
I would try the 10-24 tap first and see if works. I also agree with using a bottoming tap. However if it is truely stripped out instead of tapping to 12-24 and using a different size screw and forcing you to modify every sight mounted on that bow I suggest you install a helicoil in the hole. They make thread repair kits that give you everything you need, the special tap, the drill, the breakoff tool and the inserts themselves. That would allow you to keep the thread at 10-24.

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
I concur with Punchy on the Helicoil if all else fails. :thumb:

·
Extreme Opinionated One
44,277 Posts
conradj2 said:
Were can I find a helicoil at. Does Lowes and places like that carry theme?
Lowes and Home Depot usually carry some of the bigger size stuff like 1/4-20 or bigger thread repair kits. You can try there first. The best place to find them is thru a machine shop supply company. Here in my area I get them from a company called Capital Fasteners. You can also google "Helicoil" and buy them on the web from the looks of things. What did we ever do for info before the internet?

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
Punch_Master said:
I would try the 10-24 tap first and see if works. I also agree with using a bottoming tap. However if it is truely stripped out instead of tapping to 12-24 and using a different size screw and forcing you to modify every sight mounted on that bow I suggest you install a helicoil in the hole. They make thread repair kits that give you everything you need, the special tap, the drill, the breakoff tool and the inserts themselves. That would allow you to keep the thread at 10-24.
Punch,

What is a bottoming tap. And what is the average cost of a helicoil kit?

·
Extreme Opinionated One
44,277 Posts
MikeK said:
Punch,

What is a bottoming tap. And what is the average cost of a helicoil kit?
A bottoming tap is a tap that allows you to tap very close to the bottom of a blind hole. The price for a thread repair kit is around $25.00 from what I've seen but they vary considerably from place to place depending on markup.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The helicoil kits I have checked all have 10/24 inch kit. Now I am assuming that this means ten twentyforths of one inch. Do you have to order the kit for the specific depth of the whole or do the kits com with instructions on how to cut the coil etc.

Thanks

Jason

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
10-24 means Number 10 screw with 24 threads per inch.

I'd take it to a machine shop, they might have the kit and can fix it for you.

·
Extreme Opinionated One
44,277 Posts
conradj2 said:
The helicoil kits I have checked all have 10/24 inch kit. Now I am assuming that this means ten twentyforths of one inch. Do you have to order the kit for the specific depth of the whole or do the kits com with instructions on how to cut the coil etc.

Thanks

Jason
10-24 stands for a #10 screw (.190 dia) and 24 threads per inch. You also need to know the approx depth of your hole. Do not try to cut the helicoil to length. Minimun length on a #10 helicoil is going to be 1 diameter or .190 long. The next longer one is 1 1/2 diameter or .285 long. I doubt if your riser is thick enough to use any longer than these two. All you need for full strength is just three good threads of engagement anyway. I'd probably choose the .190 long myself. The individual helicoil part number you are gonna want is 3585-3CN190. The thread repair kit is Helicoil part number 5401-3. If you really don't know what you are doing please do take it to a machinist. You can easily screw up your riser if you do this wrong and you only get one shot at it. After that you better get used to shooting in the barebow class.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found a good sight that gave step by step instructions on how to put a helicoil, so I think that I can get it done. I think I will try the tap first.

Thanks for all the help

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
Punch_Master said:
A bottoming tap is a tap that allows you to tap very close to the bottom of a blind hole. The price for a thread repair kit is around $25.00 from what I've seen but they vary considerably from place to place depending on markup.
Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts