Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it paper tune? is it bare shaft? is it french tune or walk back? Each of the these can or will contradict each other in some way, what is the ultimate tune?

·
Registered
13,600 Posts
i tune all mt bow using the p.s.e SUPER tune way. i had great luck with it.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I use ALL of them as I am very anal about it,but if I had to do only one and live with just that,probably would be bareshaft.

·
74,535 Posts
There is no exact tuning method. Results can all be acheived by different methods.

I myself like Paper tuning and believe group tuning doesnt lie. I will group tuned out to 60 yrds. If you group well at all different distances you can ask a bow to do much more.
DB

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just learning here but what does paper tuning give you that bareshaft doesn't and vice versa?

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Is it paper tune? is it bare shaft? is it french tune or walk back? Each of the these can or will contradict each other in some way, what is the ultimate tune?
It includes all of this and allot more.
You need to include tiller tuning as well as cam tuning. (not cam timing)
Paper tuning is worthless for most shooters. As to many shooters try and fix there poor grip by moving there rest out of the power stroke of the string just to shoot a "bullet" hole threw paper.
Most shooters ONLY try and tune there bow and not there arrows. Finding the perfect spine for you and your set up is just as important.

·
P#NW045
12,716 Posts
I group tune and make whatever changes to setup, bow, shooter are needed to deliver the groups I feel are acceptable. For all that I do, scores are what matters and I tune accordingly. I've yet to have a bareshaft tuned arrow deliver good scores and I've yet to have a winning setup bareshaft, or shoot clean through paper.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
It depends on how anal your going to be. Paper tuning is different to different people, what distance do you shoot through the paper at? I use a combination of lots of them but if I could only choose one I would choose bare shaft because you correct different things while bare shaft tuning, axle lean, rest movement both horizontal and vertical. Bare shaft tuning also uses some of these other methods while tuning like walk back and group tuning. When you bare shaft it also points out problems with your form. JMO

·
Registered
411 Posts
The ultimate tune is the one that allows YOU to hit what your aiming at. Tuning yourself is even more important then making the bow "perfect". Any of the methods stated, or any combo of them will work, just don't forget about the loose nut behind the bow.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Modified French then broadhead tune. That's what I do, I don't see cam timing as tuning, I guess it is by I'm not even goin to set up a rest, sight ETC before the cams are where I want them. To me that's just getting the bow into specs

·
(aka lug nut)
49,673 Posts
The ultimate tune,
is whatever series of changes to your form,
is whatever series of changes to your bow settings..

where you shoot BETTER than EVER in your life.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
I say it is when BH's and FP's are hitting the same POI ....... my bows do that and no damn paper tuning involved

·
(aka lug nut)
49,673 Posts
Just learning here but what does paper tuning give you that bareshaft doesn't and vice versa?
Depends on the shooting skill of the shooter.

If you get a WEIRD paper tear,
the results can be due to the POOR shot execution..
the results can be due to POOR, outside the sweet spot bow settings.

Since you are asking the question,
then,
for YOU,
if YOU try paper tuning,
the "BAD TEAR" will MOST LIKELY be a combination of BOTH...PART SHOOTER execution error and PART bow tuning not in the YOUR SWEET SPOT for settings.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,673 Posts
Have a system to tweak the shooter,
have a system to tweak the bow.

If you would like help to cut your arrow groups in HALF,
let me know and I might be able to speed up your process, to get there...to the point where YOUR arrow groups make you happy.

www.nutsandboltsarchery.com

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
The final tune is group tuning. Everything else is just leading up to it and making it easier to get good groups.

There is nowhere on the scorecard for how pretty your bullet holes are. Big bucks don't give up the ghost in admiration of your arrow flight. The only thing that counts is putting the arrow where it will do the most good.

Paper, walk back, bare shaft, torque, stabilization, etc are steps that lead up to achieving the best groups of which you are capable.

The problem with group tuning is that most of us don't shoot consistently enough to improve the tune over the other methods. This is no reason to not try it.

Allen

·
(aka lug nut)
49,673 Posts
The final tune is group tuning. Everything else is just leading up to it and making it easier to get good groups.

There is nowhere on the scorecard for how pretty your bullet holes are. Big bucks don't give up the ghost in admiration of your arrow flight. The only thing that counts is putting the arrow where it will do the most good.

Paper, walk back, bare shaft, torque, stabilization, etc are steps that lead up to achieving the best groups of which you are capable.
Amazing how many people STOP tuning, after they hit a bullet hole through paper.
I say don't stop until you cut your current arrow group size in HALF or better.
KEEP raising the bar.
NEVER be "just satisified".

Challenge yourself to be BETTER than EVER.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
You need to start with getting the bow itself set up properly and thoroughly. This means getting it to fit you perfectly and dealing with cam lean and timing/synch. If you do these things first before tuning for arrow flight you will save yourself some hair pulling and possible headaches. :lol:

As for arrow flight tuning, I can't find anything that works better, quicker or gives you a better read than shooting bareshafts through paper at a few distances between 3' and 10 yards. If you can get bare shafts tearing clean holes at those few distances then you can NOT possibly tune for any cleaner arrow flight than that.

·
Bears Den Precision
3,634 Posts
The ultimate tune,
is whatever series of changes to your form,
is whatever series of changes to your bow settings..

where you shoot BETTER than EVER in your life.
I agree 110% ^^^^^ Being able to set your rig to shoot at it's potential and gaining more confidence than ever before!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts