Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for any of ya out there. I have been questioning my height of my tree stands lately. I am not afraid of heights or anything and I always wear a safety harness and i am comfortable at any height....so my question is when do you start putting yourself at a disadvantage because of the angle. I know that the higher you go up the smaller a chance of a double lung shot, so when do you start going too high??

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
dont need to go any higher than 15 or 16 feet.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
stock ladders..

I know people who have been 6 feet off the ground who have taken deer!! personally I go with the stock ladders or ladder stands which vary from 15-17 feet... I think the higher you go the more movement you can get away with, like for videoing and such... but I agree, the higher you are the harder the angle for a double lung shot!!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
well we have some stands that are like 30 foot but i have me and a camera man!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I stay around 20' ft or climb higher until I feel a breeze. The terrain makes a difference too.

·
Banned
910 Posts
it depends on the set up and branches that might be in the way of a shooting lane. i like to get higher than a min. of 12' and up to 20' or a lil higher. I have hunted close to 30 ft with a rifle to see over some trees to cover a really big area clearcut . I like to be up at least 16 '-18' though. i use 1st rate stands and saftey harness vest setup.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
usually no higher than 25 feet

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I like to go high, but some times its not necessary to go high. I would say that if your going high because you have more shootiing lanes then thats fine but if you have more a little lower then thats where you should be. Passed 30 foot unless your gun hunting or trying to get away from the deers nose is just not really necessary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts