Votes: 22 18.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm curious to hear why everyone chooses what they do.
This will be my first year bow hunting and I'm using Beman ICS Hunters.
I really like the idea of the bigger hole that an aluminum shaft leaves.I'm a gun nut so I tend to think bigger hole=better wounding although it really doesn't make sense from an archery standpoint.
I have read that aluminum flexes too much,decreasing penetration potential but I'm 100% positive there have been lots(probably most) of deer taken with alum. that were passthroughs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The arrow really doesn't have any effect on the whole.The broadhead does most of the work.Sometimes the arrow's flex will keep the arrow from penetrating but not alot.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I like the arrows that are covered in blood, buried about 6 inches into the dew covered earth. The ones that miss and stick in trees, leave them at home!

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
wow the alluminum arrows are not doing well at all. I shot the carbon first with my bow. 270fps. too fast. then I shot the kinetic ACC and it dropped down to about 260fps which I figure is still too fast so I tried 2314 XX75's with four inch feathers and bingo 253fps. I think around 255fps is all you want with fixed blades to fly their best. That is why I am shooting those antique sticks.

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
I like the arrows that are covered in blood, buried about 6 inches into the dew covered earth. The ones that miss and stick in trees, leave them at home!

lol.....
yeah baby!

i am going to beman 400 ics hunters i love the smoother finish
and they are a good durable arrow. quiet to draw too.
good luck!!

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I shoot carbons and like Beman ICS340 hunters, Carbon Express CX300s and Goldtip 55/75s. They all do well for me. They seem to be faster, pentrate more, and are more durable than most arrows.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
2213 XX78 for recurve, compound 2216 for xbow

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
2514's!:D With 100 gr heads and feathers. They are 20 fps slower than a 300 Beeman, but have more KE and are more accurate and quiet.:) They are both spined right for the bow.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i shgot aluminums for yeaRS BUT WONDER WHY IT TOOK SO LONG TO GO TO carbons. i like the idea of not worrying about an arrow being bent even the slightest and carbons prevent that. also i like the idea of not losing k.e. like you can with aluminums. it's just been much better with carbons for me and i guess the only time i would shoot another aluminum is when shooting spots. i am hoping carbon force comes out with a new fat shaft then i will shooting all carbons for everything
rob k

·
Registered
146 Posts
What BowD said! I like my current GT's because they shoot well and are tough as nails. I find them to be tougher for hunting than the acc's I used for years and the aluminum before that. Nothing wrong with any of the shaft materials. Just different preferences.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Carbon all the way.......

I just dont think that you can go wrong with a good carbon arrow.....I've heard people complain about the extra bit of cash they cost but they are well worth it cause their either broke or good....No slightly bent arrows that you dont know about cause you dropped your bow that morning on the way to the stand or the sun got in your eye's shooting that 3-D target "LOL".....A dozen carbons will last me twice as long shooting 3-D than a dozen Aluminum shafts.....Just makes more sense to me....I've been shooting BlackHawk Carbon Vapors the last 2 years and have had good luck with them....This year I did add Easton ACC uni-bushing nock inserts in them though to keep me from shooting the nocks out and splitting the back of the shafts......

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I like aluminum. I have never seen a deer yet that I could have killed with carbon, but not aluminum. Aluminum just seems to be so easy to tune, straighter than the carbons, more consistent in spine and weight, and extremely quiet. I have killed more deer with carbons than aluminums, but since my shooting never exceeds 40 yards, I just don't get any more of a benefit out of the carbons. Also, I never have a problem with bent aluminums. My Easton 2314 X7's are pretty tough. Plus, to get an arrow of equal quality to my X7, I would have to spend $150/dozen vs. $70. Its just not worth it to me. I can buy 2 dozen of the straightest arrows in the world, for the cost of 1 dozen ACC's.

I try to keep my arrow weight at 400-425 grains. This works well out of my bow and gives a good balance between trajectory and KE.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Blackhawk Vapors....Those things have hit brick walls at 20 yards, trees stumps, heck even a target or two! Tought as nails, good price, and the fly true.

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
For hunting distances out to 40 yards, I like my XX78 2315's with 115 grain 4 blade Muzzys the best. Super acurate and heavier than the stiff carbons I have, that don't group as well as the 2315's. With my single and moveable pin sight, there is not much difference in yardage marks so 20 fps dosen't make much difference out to 40 yards, which is a very long shot where I hunt.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts