Archery Talk Forum banner

Which calls do you use in average season of turkey hunitng?

• Mouth Call

Votes: 64 53.3%
  • Short Box Call

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • Long Box Call

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • Pot type call - Slate, Glass, Aluminum etc.

Votes: 70 58.3%
  • Tube call

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Trumpet call

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Wingbone

• Gobler shaker

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Scratch Box

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Push button type

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • other

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is your favorite type of turkey call and also post the # of these calls that you use while turkey hunting through out the season.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Knight and Hale

Harolds Half moon cutter. This mouth call is built for cuting and aggressive calling. I can purr really well with this mouth call. It gives a great tone for fighting purrs as well.

I will use 2 during the season and have one back up in case I loose one.

ckc

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can't beat a slate. Killed more Toms than my other calls combined. I carry two....a true slate call and a "glass" for wet conditions. Both are custom calls made by Ted "Pete" Peters. Two drawbacks: requires two hands and the true slates don't work wet, but the second problem is solved with a good "glass" call.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just use my voice, it's cheap easy to carry and impossible to forget. Although I am sure I drove a few people crazy honing my craft.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
801 Posts
I just use my voice, it's cheap easy to carry and impossible to forget. Although I am sure I drove a few people crazy honing my craft.:darkbeer:
I do the same thing when the birds get within 50 yards or so, less movement. A co-worker makes turkey calls in his spare time and gives them away at work. He makes slate, glass and aluminum top friction calls and custom cedar/corncob strikers. I have all three of his calls and about 8 or 9 different strikers, all of which sound a little different. Best sounding calls I have ever used.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
L to R.....lynch's jet black slate,ike ashby black slate,knight & hale lonesome hen push button,lynch box and wing bone.I've had most of these calls for years and they never let me down.I used a mouth call also for yrs,but quite messing with them.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Box call

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
a good multiple reed mouth call...preferably 3-5 reeds...until they get in close...then i go to a double reeded call (takes less air...allows me to tone it down easier) for softer clucks and purrs

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Wood Haven Mouth Calls..... With a Good Slate to back it up.

But who can have just 2 calls. I take at least 6 with me everytime if not 10.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
My favorite is a mouthcall mainly because of hands free operation. I like the sound of a good quality slate call, but probably use the often overlooked aluminum call more. My opinion, it's more versatile than a slate and has pretty good sound quality.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I use two Blodgett "Double Trouble" slate calls. One is glass and slate the other is glass and glass. I use 5 different Primos Mouth Calls. THe Primos "Double Trouble II" and "Triple Trouble" are my favorite's. I also bought the three signature mouth calls from Primo's this year. I haven;t used them hunting yet but I am very pleased with variety of tones I get frome them. Three more weeks and I can really put them to use in the woods.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I use the Quaker Boy Kee Kee diaphram. I have used this call since '94 and have had great luck with it. Despite buying a few new calls a year I always go back to this one, and you can call at full draw if needed.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Hooks and Rohm Bros. A deadly combination.

1) 2 1/2 reed Hooks Mouth Call
2) Hooks Glass call
3) Dale Rohm Box Call
Those three have given many turkeys a dirt nap!:wink:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I can't say enough about the Woodhaven Copperhead! Great rasp, easy to cut and cluck. You can reach out there or keep it soft!

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
I think mouth calls sound the best. I like the Primo's "dome" series. They fit well and don't leave me gagging and slobbering. :D But I end up using slate calls the most. My Knight & Hale Sla-Tek sounds best...really raspy. But when they get in close, I switch to a model that straps to my leg so I can use it one-handed so I can hold my bow with the other hand.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts