Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of our seasons will be starting shortly, just want to see how everyone likes to approach their bowhunting.
Treestand, ground or spot and stalk?
What's you average shot range?
Do you hunt many properties or just one?
Do you have several stand locations per each or just a couple?
Hunt farmland, mountains, suburbs, big woods?
Do you rattle/grunt much?
What's your deer population like?

For me:
I hunt a nicely deer populated area, but not very many good size bucks. Its a mix of farmland, but I have one place that is suburb/backyard hunting. I don't have very many different stand locations per hunting spot(something I'm working on). I hunt exclusively from a tree and don't really call much. Rattle almost never, but have used a grunt call with excellent results. Most of my areas are quite thick and shots come fast and tight, less that 20 yards, many time less than 15 yds. I like to hunt edges of bedding areas, nice oak flats or travel corridors. I like to shoot a doe or 2, or 3 early in the season so I can better concentrate on the bucks later on.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Here in the dense woodlots of Iowa, I hunt from a treestand almost exclusively. Stand height is about 15 feet, shots range from 10-25 yards.

On occassion, I will use spot and stalk if a nice buck moves out of my immediate area.

A couple times a year I will use a ground blind due to location.

·
Registered
203 Posts
First of all im no expert, but so far i have managed to kill bigger deer every year than the previous.

Im one of the lucky ones who will be starting my 2nd season at place i would consider having the potential for a monster to come buy at anytime.

Having a river run through the property i like to hunt more observation stands during mid october. and gamble a little more as the season goes on. I have stands on ridges, creek crossings, and the plain ol nasty stuff along the river. all have produced at different times.(note produced to me means seeing nice deer and relaxing, not harvesting an animal) I like to move at least bi-weekly and keep them on their toes, but in november i usually sit tight and wait.

Although this year im going to try to get real close to a buck bedding area and hunt "close" to it the 1st week of the season. if i spook him i figure "who cares" he probaly wont be there in november anyways when hes running the river looking for does

·
74,535 Posts
My set up

2250 acres private lease
8pt deer management program
herd size- we usally count 200 head, wildlife dept considers that one out of four. To many does.
Hunt in tree 14-20ft.
I usally hunt in open field edges in evening and in the timber during morning hours.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I hunt in Western Wisconsin and Northeast Iowa, the bluff country close to the Mississippi River. I hunt almost exclusively from treestands on ridges close to fields, ponds, and small foodplots. My shots are all within 30 yards or closer. I will sometimes use spot and stalk but only if the conditions are right. Sometimes, also if conditions are right (wind in my favor, windy/rainy/snowy day) I'll still hunt. I will hunt weekends sarting in late October, and take a week or more off in early/mid November for peak of rut, then hunt weekends thereafter.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I live and hunt in upstate NY, and mostly hun a combination of farmland/woods - all private property(with permission, of course) - all told, in excess of 3,000 acres... I have 10 lock-on treestands, and also use a climber quite a bit... I mostly hunt out of treestands, hanging them due to scouting and terrain features... I'm also a HUGE believer in deer calls... Average shot is inside of 20 yards, although I spend ALOT of time practicing at 50 yards... I blind call approx. every 20 minutes or so(softly), and only rattle on infrequent occasions - due to buck/doe ratios in my area, it usually isn't all that effective - although I did rattle in a couple of bucks last year... We have a good deer population in my area - I see deer every time I go out during bow season, and we do have some good bucks, too... I probably hunt 10 to 15 properties during a season - I'm fortunate to have, and maintain a personal relationship with quite a few farmers/property owners... My typical stand height is 12 to 18' for bowhunting, 20' and up for gun hunting...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I try to rotate among several stand locations with the philosophy of trying to avoid alerting deer too much. I believe it pays to hunt two or three times a week at a particular stand. It give the deer a chance to believe the area doesn't have hunter pressure and keeps my scent down. Hunt mostly timbers with a climbing stand around 15-20 feet with the goal of shooting around 10 to 25 yards. I don't like to hunt windy days (15 mph or higher). Light rain or right after a storm for a couple days is ideal for me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Style?

@amn Arkie why don't you give away all your huning ways..............................I'm in fine form tonight.....:D :D :p :p

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I hunt foothills with pine plantations and cut overs with 3 years pine growth on..we don't have much hardwood timber left...just the sides of the mts..so I try to position myself 12-20 ft up depending on cover.....trying for the ole 20yds or less shot....I have several stands although i usually just hunt about 2 of them. I don't rattle or grunt much.......we have a decent deer population and very smart and sly upper echelon bucks....we see more than we kill...i outsmarted a 250# 12 point 2 years ago which was only 3 1/2 years old and I have a nephew who 3 years ago killed a 130# 19 point that was only 2 years old....if ya think I'm lying ask olddog...he was cussing while he was helping clean both of them!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I don't mind sharing at the fire. Olddog48, what lie are you telling tonight?

·
Registered
293 Posts
On the ground.

Try this get on the ground and crawl like a alligator and try to get close to the deer. It may not get you anywhere but you will have a **** load of ticks you can show your friends..........My way is the way that will gets me the shot.........:D

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You mean the shot in the ass by a nurse for lymes disease.

·
Registered
293 Posts
#ell no Arkie wife is my nurse.............No more ass shots....lol.......:D :D

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
My ideal method of hunting is to .... If hot....find shady sport with slight breeze, if cold find sunny spot out of wind.... sit down with back to large tree..... shut eyes..... every couple of hours...open one eye and see if a deer is around.... if not shut eye again....

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I find this method to work with just about all game including fish....

Just one thing when hog hunting don't bring pancakes and molasses, for breakfast.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts